Has it Occurred to Any?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Let us, for the moment, forget the various names of Yeshua, even Yeshua, for now.

Has it occurred to anyone else to substitute the formal names, Jesus, Yeshua or any of the names from similar derivations to English, I mean completely translate them?

Jesus, Yeshua, could be called Salvation, and with Messiah, He could be called (The) Anointed Salvation.

Try using the the complete translations of Jesus (Yeshua) and Messiah (Mashiach) when reading the Word. It is quite an experience.

I thought of this just before re-reading the genealogies in Matthew 1. I was translating the names to English, and it tells quite a story.

The Word is always new, amen.

B

Bryancampbell

The Anointed Salvation. I like that.

I have looked into the Anointed Salvation's genealogy too, especially from the Genesis account and such. Matthew's is broken up into categories, but it is even more amazing when you read the entire genealogy translation.

Jul 25, 2013
Ya, alot of the names are not even english in the english we speak, they are the original language that we use as english.

T

tdrew777

I'll bite. What is so amazing about the names? What story do they tell?
note: In the country where I reside, names all have either a direct meaning (as in English the names "Grace" and "Hope") or are the names of fabled heroes. My daughter is named "Miracle" and my son "Lion of the World" - "Lion-hearted" sounded too effeminate.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
When addressing our fellows in the Messiah, we could just as easily call to them as Dear Children of Anointed Salvation.

Now it means something in our native tongue, English speaking that is. Here is another sample, when the angel told Mary what to call the child, it may be said, "And you will call your child Salvation for He shall save His people." Do you see how wonderful it is? I love it.

Now I pray in the name of Anointed Salvation. Praise Yahweh, or shall I now say Praise (The) Self-Existing? Every name has an origin, every name means more than just being a label.

You need not be amazed by this, but it is amazing for me. Praise Him always in the name of Anointed Salvation, amen.

note: In the country where I reside, names all have either a direct meaning (as in English the names "Grace" and "Hope") or are the names of fabled heroes. My daughter is named "Miracle" and my son "Lion of the World" - "Lion-hearted" sounded too effeminate.

Jul 27, 2011
Thanks for sharing, a light bulb just lit.

Jul 25, 2013
Maybe you should look up what Lion-hearted means because you out right slandered my name and I'll guarantee My family name is not effeminate. Those are fighten words buddy.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
My eyebrow raised also when I first read tdre777's post, then I realized he is speaking of his nativie tongue; at least I believe this is the case.

I think it is a great name in English and other languages I am familiar with.

Maybe you should look up what Lion-hearted means because you out right slandered my name and I'll guarantee My family name is not effeminate. Those are fighten words buddy.

L

LT

Very cool idea.
We translate all the other words in the Bible, but never translate the names. They are always transliterated.
Now that you've said it so clearly, I will try to do this regularly!

Actually, this brings up another point: arguing over pronunciation seems very silly when it's the meaning that counts.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
(y'all enjoy........I'll be over here in the corner........ sHa_popcorn[1].gif )

O

overcomer2

Just food for thought. A name and a title are different. I am a wife however, that is not my name.

C

CRC

Meaningful Names in the Hebrew Scriptures
Among the first names recorded in the Bible is that of Seth, meaning “Appointed.” Seth’s mother, Eve, explained why she chose that name, saying: “God has appointed another seed in place of Abel, because Cain killed him.” (Genesis 4:25) Seth’s descendant Lamech named his son Noah, meaning “Rest” or “Consolation.” Lamech said he gave his son that name because “this one will bring us comfort from our work and from the pain of our hands resulting from the ground which Jehovah has cursed.”—Genesis 5:29.
God himself changed the names of certain adults for prophetic purposes. For example, he changed the name of Abram, meaning “Father Is Exalted,” to Abraham, meaning “Father of a Multitude.” True to his name, Abraham did become the father of many nations. (Genesis 17:5, 6) Consider, too, Abraham’s wife, Sarai, possibly meaning “Contentious.” How happy she must have been when God renamed her “Sarah,” meaning “Princess,” alluding to her becoming an ancestress of kings.—Genesis 17:15, 16.
God also personally chose the name of some children. For example, he told Abraham and Sarah to name their son Isaac, meaning “Laughter.” That name would constantly remind this faithful couple of their reaction to the news that they would have a son in their old age. When Isaac grew up to be a faithful servant of God, his name no doubt continued to bring a smile to the faces of Abraham and Sarah as they enjoyed the company of this beloved son.—Genesis 17:17, 19; 18:12, 15; 21:6.
Isaac’s daughter-in-law Rachel gave her last son his name for a very different reason. While on her deathbed, Rachel called the child Ben-oni, meaning “Son of My Mourning.” Her bereaved husband, Jacob, slightly altered the name to Benjamin, meaning “Son of the Right Hand.” This name signified a position not only of favor but also of support.—Genesis 35:16-19; 44:20.
Names were sometimes given or taken in harmony with the physical characteristics of the person. For instance, Isaac and Rebekah had a son who was born with red hair as thick as a wool garment, so they named him Esau. Why? In Hebrew that name means “Hairy.” (Genesis 25:25) As noted in the book of Ruth, Naomi had two sons. One was named Mahlon, meaning “Sickly, Invalid,” and the other Chilion, meaning “Frailty.” Whether these names were given at birth or later is not stated, but they seem to be fitting, given the early demise of these two young men.—Ruth 1:5.
Another common practice was that of changing or adjusting names. On returning to Bethlehem, destitute after losing her husband and sons, Naomi no longer wanted to be called by that name, meaning “My Pleasantness.” Instead, she insisted: “Do not call me Naomi. Call me Mara [meaning “Bitter”], for the Almighty has made it very bitter for me.”—Ruth 1:20, 21.
Yet another custom was to name a child in honor of a significant event. The prophet Haggai’s name, for example, means “Born on a Festival.”

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
The point of the OP is this, the Name given by the Angel to Mary is Salvation. Jesus and Yeshua are the same word, however they are never translated completely to what they mean in English, they both are derived from what the angel told Mary to name the Child.

Translated to English He is named Salvation. Salvation is His name. There can be no disputing a fact.

It brings to mind and gives new meaning to His having a new name one day. Also, it is wondrous thinking in terms of our Maker Anointing Salvation for us all, thus when we come to Him we are in Anointed Salvation. It is a wonder to grasp hold of, especially in light of the fact that the Anointing is by the Holy Spirit.

Just food for thought. A name and a title are different. I am a wife however, that is not my name.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Yes, we read these names and their meanings every time we read the Word, and they all have value in learning more of the meanins of much prophecy, the pity is, almost no one translates the name of our Savior into their own languages. His name is Salvation, He is the Anointed Salvation of the Father.

This is not a new teaching, but what took two thousand years to hide has come into the light again, and it is glorious. It is definitely not heralding the way to yet another denomination, no, it is going back to where we started with Anointed Salvation from the beginning, yes it is.

If we were to go into untranslated names more I could begin with the place our Savior was born, Bethlehem, completely translated the town is called House of Bread, and this too is wonderful.

Meaningful Names in the Hebrew Scriptures
Among the first names recorded in the Bible is that of Seth, meaning “Appointed.” Seth’s mother, Eve, explained why she chose that name, saying: “God has appointed another seed in place of Abel, because Cain killed him.” (Genesis 4:25) Seth’s descendant Lamech named his son Noah, meaning “Rest” or “Consolation.” Lamech said he gave his son that name because “this one will bring us comfort from our work and from the pain of our hands resulting from the ground which Jehovah has cursed.”—Genesis 5:29.
God himself changed the names of certain adults for prophetic purposes. For example, he changed the name of Abram, meaning “Father Is Exalted,” to Abraham, meaning “Father of a Multitude.” True to his name, Abraham did become the father of many nations. (Genesis 17:5, 6) Consider, too, Abraham’s wife, Sarai, possibly meaning “Contentious.” How happy she must have been when God renamed her “Sarah,” meaning “Princess,” alluding to her becoming an ancestress of kings.—Genesis 17:15, 16.
God also personally chose the name of some children. For example, he told Abraham and Sarah to name their son Isaac, meaning “Laughter.” That name would constantly remind this faithful couple of their reaction to the news that they would have a son in their old age. When Isaac grew up to be a faithful servant of God, his name no doubt continued to bring a smile to the faces of Abraham and Sarah as they enjoyed the company of this beloved son.—Genesis 17:17, 19; 18:12, 15; 21:6.
Isaac’s daughter-in-law Rachel gave her last son his name for a very different reason. While on her deathbed, Rachel called the child Ben-oni, meaning “Son of My Mourning.” Her bereaved husband, Jacob, slightly altered the name to Benjamin, meaning “Son of the Right Hand.” This name signified a position not only of favor but also of support.—Genesis 35:16-19; 44:20.
Names were sometimes given or taken in harmony with the physical characteristics of the person. For instance, Isaac and Rebekah had a son who was born with red hair as thick as a wool garment, so they named him Esau. Why? In Hebrew that name means “Hairy.” (Genesis 25:25) As noted in the book of Ruth, Naomi had two sons. One was named Mahlon, meaning “Sickly, Invalid,” and the other Chilion, meaning “Frailty.” Whether these names were given at birth or later is not stated, but they seem to be fitting, given the early demise of these two young men.—Ruth 1:5.
Another common practice was that of changing or adjusting names. On returning to Bethlehem, destitute after losing her husband and sons, Naomi no longer wanted to be called by that name, meaning “My Pleasantness.” Instead, she insisted: “Do not call me Naomi. Call me Mara [meaning “Bitter”], for the Almighty has made it very bitter for me.”—Ruth 1:20, 21.
Yet another custom was to name a child in honor of a significant event. The prophet Haggai’s name, for example, means “Born on a Festival.”

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
This thinking brings newness to the saying, "Salvation belongs to the Jews." Of course just as with the names of our Savior, if we completely translate "jews" to English we get, praisers of God (Yah or Self-existing.) So it would be said more like "Salvation belongs to the Praisers of God (The Self-existing.)" Kind of refreshing.

Hizikyah

Aug 25, 2013
This thinking brings newness to the saying, "Salvation belongs to the Jews." Of course just as with the names of our Savior, if we completely translate "jews" to English we get, praisers of God (Yah or Self-existing.) So it would be said more like "Salvation belongs to the Praisers of God (The Self-existing.)" Kind of refreshing.
right on Yahdaim meant those who praise Yahweh!

I like Yahshua = Yahweh's Salvation or something like that!