Have you heard of the PASS?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

jamie26301

May 14, 2011
Hello CCers!

I'm going back to college in the fall. I will be majoring in Sociology. I was accepted into Fairmont State College earlier this year, and between my grants and the PASS, I will be able to finish my bachelor's without drawing out any more loans.

So what is the PASS, you may ask? Well, as some of you might remember from my behavior in years past, I'm bipolar. And I receive Social Security Disability for it. That makes me eligible for the PASS (Plan to Achieve Self-Support), which is a Social Security work incentive. Basically, Social Security funds my school out of my disability, and then since all my disability is going into the schooling, I start drawing SSI to live on. So I'm getting twice as much money, but it has to be used for a work goal. And there's strict rules that goes along with that.

The nice thing is, that since I have SSI to live on, I can concentrate solely on my schooling, and not have to work. In fact, my last day of work is Monday; my PASS starts next week. SSI works differently than Social Security Disability. With Disability, I can make up to a certain amount of money, and keep my check. But if I go one penny over, they deduct my whole check for that month. However, I am now drawing SSI, which means that for every two dollars I make, they deduct one dollar from my SSI. Technically, if I keep working I still come out ahead, but my rent (which is based on my income) will still be high and I won't draw any food stamps. So it seems it would be better if I quit working.

Social Security is so complicated! I want to get off Social Security. I don't want to depend on it anymore. In recent years, I've learned more how to control my illness. If I had a good paying job, I could work for as much money as I want and save as much money as I want. And the nice thing is, since I'm legally disabled, I qualify for reasonable insurance, with the same coverage I have now.

I don't mean to unload this on all of you; I'm just so excited. I don't know about other states, but the PASS is available in WV. And the thing is, practically no one knows about it. If you're on disability, you should check with your Social Security office and see what work incentives they have available.

So let me know what you think!

Mar 18, 2011
I think it's a great thing for you. I am a tax payer here and I love that some of it goes to helping out fellow brothers and sisters in Jesus. It is far better than what the majority of my taxes go to! as long as you thank the Lord. Spend time with your relationship with Him and keep the doors open to tell others about the reason for your hope then praise God and congrats!

jamie26301

May 14, 2011
I think it's a great thing for you. I am a tax payer here and I love that some of it goes to helping out fellow brothers and sisters in Jesus. It is far better than what the majority of my taxes go to! as long as you thank the Lord. Spend time with your relationship with Him and keep the doors open to tell others about the reason for your hope then praise God and congrats!
Thank you! Yes, some things paid with tax dollars is ridiculous, like cleaning our national parks. It has to be done, but we wouldn't have to pay the government to do it if we picked up after ourselves. I don't know if that's relevant, just a rant. :)

jamie26301

May 14, 2011
No other comments people? :(