Having problems

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 11, 2015
As most of you all know I have been battling the sin of lying. I am so tired of living with it and the sadness I have in my heart. I ask God daily to forgive me but I keep falling into it. Most of the time I just over think stuff and people tell me it's not lying I'm just letting the devil get me down. Well yesturday I had a fairly good day until I got to church that night. My pastor asked me to testify. I talked about how I was reading in Psalms and how you don't realize it is encouraging unless your going through something. Well I feel like I lied again because when my fiancé was reading it to me I wasn't just so down and it wasn't lifting me up. He asked if it was helping and I responded that I knew it was supposed to but I just didn't feel it yet. The only thing I can kinda remember was reading a footnote that spoke of confesses and forsaking sin, and thinking to myself that the author of psalms must have been battling sin too. I asked him if I said anything about feeling better. He promises I did. I can't even remember saying that. So I feel I lied to my church. So my question is do I need to go back and tell them I lied or at least feel like i did? I know God will forgive me but is that needed too?

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
You already know the answer to that question. It's the same answer to ALL of the other questions you've asked us.. Of course the author of Psalms was battling with sin and despair. EVERYONE battles with sin. Now try to make an effort to stop lying. You glorify the devil by doing that.

D

Depleted

As most of you all know I have been battling the sin of lying. I am so tired of living with it and the sadness I have in my heart. I ask God daily to forgive me but I keep falling into it. Most of the time I just over think stuff and people tell me it's not lying I'm just letting the devil get me down. Well yesturday I had a fairly good day until I got to church that night. My pastor asked me to testify. I talked about how I was reading in Psalms and how you don't realize it is encouraging unless your going through something. Well I feel like I lied again because when my fiancé was reading it to me I wasn't just so down and it wasn't lifting me up. He asked if it was helping and I responded that I knew it was supposed to but I just didn't feel it yet. The only thing I can kinda remember was reading a footnote that spoke of confesses and forsaking sin, and thinking to myself that the author of psalms must have been battling sin too. I asked him if I said anything about feeling better. He promises I did. I can't even remember saying that. So I feel I lied to my church. So my question is do I need to go back and tell them I lied or at least feel like i did? I know God will forgive me but is that needed too?
Actually, I think you're problem is you like to show off how holy you are, but you're not. All your questions sound like, "I was showing God how good I am by reading the bible/praying/listening to Psalms, instead of doing my work/helping others/listening/being engaged, and then whoosh the devil got me and forced me to be something other than be this holy perfect girl."

Here's the reality, even for you --

Aug 16, 2016
As the scriptures saya in 1 Corinthians 10:13 - No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

The devil can only tempt you. It's up to you to make a stand and say no I will not fall for anymore temptations I belong to God & he will pull me through. If God is urging you to confess the truth to them then you can. What's most important is to confess it to God & tell him you need help with it & he will help you.

G00WZ

May 16, 2014
You are not sinning, you simply have a sin habit because you are not in your new identity in Christ, you are
letting the old dead you still rise from the grave and remind you of who you were in the past... you need to tell that
thing to shut up. God already forgave you.. and you are going to make some mistakes on your walk as a christian,
sometimes we slip back and listen to that old voice of the past who tells us who we used to be, but we need to walk
in who we are and renew our minds to who we are Romans 12:2. You need to see yourself how God sees you. To HIM
you are righteous, holy, sanctified and in Christ and Christ in you ... and as long as you don't agree with it
completely and walk/ stand firm in it as who you are, you will always be in conflict with yourself, and you will always fall to sin habits that died on the cross along with the old you...God doesn't talk to dead people because they are dead, HE dealt with them already. Don't come to him with your old dead identity from the past, but instead come with the new one he agrees with. And in response to the final question you should tell them, but not make a huge deal out of it though.

T

Tintin

So you're a chronic liar? You do realise that calls into question every one of your threads. I knew I smelt something fishy. May God help you learn some humility.

N

NicoleWilliams

Hello, Acr96. I am so sorry to hear that you’re struggling with lying. I understand that it’s not easy to deal with such emotions. I am praying for you, asking God to give you wisdom, guidance, and peace that only He can give. I really hope you will find answers to your questions soon. Bless you!

Desertsrose

Oct 24, 2016

Hi Arc96,

I read some of the other answers and don't want to judge you according to what they've said so I'm just going to take what you've written at face value.

I'm not really understanding all of your post, but I don't need to know all the details. Only you and the Lord know if you lied or deceived anyone. It sounds like the Lord is convicting you since you believe you did lie.

If you are finding yourself continually lying to others or deceiving them, I would like to share something with you when I battled 2 particular sins in my life.

One of them was something that kept attacking my mind. It was awful and every time the thought came to mind, I would ask the Lord to forgive me and I would deliberately put my mind on the Lord and the thoughts would go away. I kept doing that and found the attack kept getting less and less. The bible says if we draw near to God, He will draw near to us and when we resist the devil, he must flee.

Another time the Lord convicted me about the way I was treating everyone so nicely at work and had little patience with my family.

I had fibromyalgia at a young age and we fostered children and I worked almost full-time at Safeway. So I had a heavy load and dealt with constant pain, headaches, etc and would be impatient with my family first thing in the morning.

The Lord showed me that if I can be gracious at work with people I didn't know, I can be gracious with people I do know and love so dearly.

What I did is to confess my sin, ask for forgiveness and every morning I kept praying that God would take that sin away. It took about a month of fervently praying every day and I noticed about a month later that I didn't need to pray it anymore because God changed my heart.

You can do something similar, however God leads you. He wants you to have victory and you will if you are serious about getting help with the continuous lying you find yourself doing. God has broken the power of sin in our lives and He wants to help us gain victory.

I can still (seldom) be impatient, but it's a very once in a while thing, it's not a stronghold in my life anymore and I have victory.

What do you believe God is telling you to do? If you believe He wants you to get up in church and let them know you lied, then you need to do that because when we sin publicly we need to confess publicly too.

In fact, if you have a loving church, that would be the best thing you could do and it might break the sin in your life. They could surround you in love and pray over you for God to help you with this particular sin. James 5 16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much.

I will pray God will lead you and guide you as you seek Him for answers.

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013
Lying is the direct intent to deceive others, bearing false witness, deliberately telling untruths, etc. You just seem to be appeasing others by not detailing every feeling or thought you may have had about any given subject. Sometimes people do that to be pleasant; e.g; Did you enjoy the meal? "Yes"... How are you? "Fine"... Did reading that psalm help you? "Sure did". These aren't lies per se, maybe you didn't think much of the meal, maybe you don't feel fine but just didn't want to dwell on it, and maybe you were just being polite in saying the psalm encouraged you. No harm no foul. Your not required to tell people every single thought that pops into your head. If any of us held ourselves to the standards that your applying to yourself, we'd all be suffering from mythophobia.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Try to be truthful in all things whether in how you conduct yourself or what you say.

Nov 11, 2015
Lying is the direct intent to deceive others, bearing false witness, deliberately telling untruths, etc. You just seem to be appeasing others by not detailing every feeling or thought you may have had about any given subject. Sometimes people do that to be pleasant; e.g; Did you enjoy the meal? "Yes"... How are you? "Fine"... Did reading that psalm help you? "Sure did". These aren't lies per se, maybe you didn't think much of the meal, maybe you don't feel fine but just didn't want to dwell on it, and maybe you were just being polite in saying the psalm encouraged you. No harm no foul. Your not required to tell people every single thought that pops into your head. If any of us held ourselves to the standards that your applying to yourself, we'd all be suffering from mythophobia.
Would you think avoiding a question would still be considered lying. Like for example this morning I was asked by a coworker iif I would get breakfast. She then said do you mind? I just replied what do you want because I did mind. I didn't want to but I was still going to do I could avoid being mad at.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Then you should have told her that you DO mind, and asked her to get the breakfast herself.

L

LaurenTM

Would you think avoiding a question would still be considered lying. Like for example this morning I was asked by a coworker iif I would get breakfast. She then said do you mind? I just replied what do you want because I did mind. I didn't want to but I was still going to do I could avoid being mad at.

listen, you simply cannot be in the face of everyone you may disagree with and we all do things simply because we HAVE to whether we want to or not

big deal about the breakfast...you don't have to be in love with an idea or a favor in order to simply do it!

you seem particularly insecure...if you continue to overthink everything you are going to either lie to cover the lies or you are going to walk away from everything because of the stress of trying to be perfect

I don't 'feel' like going to go workout now...but I am going to go do it anyway because it's good for me and most days I enjoy it

so am I lying to myself if I tell myself to go do something when I don't feel like it?

sounds silly, right?

get over yourself and do a favor for someone because it's simply a nice thing to do...frankly, saying to your co-worker go do it yourself would sound rude...(for the record, I don't think Blue was telling you to be rude, but there is more than one way to look at something, right?)

I think there is something behind the 'lying' you are describing...I think the lying is a symptom of something else

I could be wrong, but that is my thought on it

notmyown

May 26, 2016
i dunno, guys.... sounds to me like the OP may be having trouble with being over-scrupulous?

we have a friend like that. if he's on his bicycle, he uses hand turn signals.
in his sparsely populated neighborhood. when there isn't a car in sight.
(he has OCD)

for my part, maybe better to be overly scrupulous than disobey God.
still, Acr96, i pray you find peace.

Dan58

Nov 13, 2013
No......... "And Jesus answered and said unto them, I also will ask you one thing, which if ye tell me, I in like wise will tell you by what authority I do these things" (Matthew 21:24). Sometimes we restrict our answers to maintain harmony, and sometimes we avoid answering because our response will be used against us; "Pilate asked Jesus, “What is truth?” and Jesus gave no reply". Your answer above was designed to be civil. You didn't want to get breakfast, but you agreed to in order to be polite, and that's not lying, its just sacrificing what you want in favor of what someone else needed or desired. Example, a friend ask; "Would you mind loaning me $20?". You may think to yourself; "Heck no", but your compassion for your friends dilemma overrides your initial response. Whereby, loaning the $20 is not a lie, even though you did 'mind' doing it, you decided to comply because your heart over-ruled your brain :). If you told that co-worker that you would get breakfast, but then didn't do it, that would be a lie.

D

Depleted

i dunno, guys.... sounds to me like the OP may be having trouble with being over-scrupulous?

we have a friend like that. if he's on his bicycle, he uses hand turn signals.
in his sparsely populated neighborhood. when there isn't a car in sight.
(he has OCD)

for my part, maybe better to be overly scrupulous than disobey God.
still, Acr96, i pray you find peace.
I used to think that, but every story starts out on how she was being so holy right before something happened. Always reading the Bible, praying, even at work, to the point a customer waiting thought she had passed out, reading Psalms, always a perfect moment right before something odd happens.

It's a culmination of years of the same kind of post each time.

(And this from someone who has been known to make signals to explain to another customer which way I want to turn my shopping cart. One time a car was backing right into me, and my first instinct was to beep loudly to let him know I was there. Instead I shouted really loud, "Person behind your car." He was embarrassed. I said, "Shopping carts need horns." lol)

A

AmmaBev

It sounds like you have a problem with forgiving yourself. You said you confessed lying, now receive the grace of forgiveness and trust Jesus to guide you in righteousness. In Romans 5:20 says where sin increased, grace abounded all the more.Let the Holy Spirit convict you in His gentle way, turn from the law in your head that demands perfection (won't happen) Let GRACE supply your forgiveness. Remember the law demands, grace supplies. AmmaBev

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
Start with being honest to yourself and God. After youve mastered that, you will be able to break free and be honest with people. Dont let the ''what will their response be'' scare you. You will see after stepping out being honest, it will get easier and easier

W

workinprogress

I think the hardest part you have already accomplished in recognizing that lying is bad for you and those around you. The truth will set you free - tell the truth going forward.