HEBREWS CHAPTER 10 VERSES 28 TO 31

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Here its saying about sin of the death?

• Yes,offcourse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe, but I don't know about that

• It's very complicated to know

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 31, 2020
Matao- sp
Well, my question with this verse is what the sin committed in this passage is about, is it the unforgivable sin or not?

Hebrews 10:26 For where we sin wilfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains any sacrifice for sins,
27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and heat of fire about to devour the adversaries.
28 Any one that has disregarded Moses' law dies without mercy on [the testimony of] two or three witnesses:
29 of how much worse punishment, think ye, shall he be judged worthy who has trodden under foot the Son of God, and esteemed the blood of the covenant, whereby he has been sanctified, common, and has insulted the Spirit of grace?
30 For we know him that said, To me [belongs] vengeance; *I* will recompense, saith the Lord: and again, The Lord shall judge his people.
31 [It is] a fearful thing falling into [the] hands of [the] living God.

TDidymas

Oct 27, 2021
Well, my question with this verse is what the sin committed in this passage is about, is it the unforgivable sin or not?

Hebrews 10:26 For where we sin wilfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains any sacrifice for sins,
27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and heat of fire about to devour the adversaries.
28 Any one that has disregarded Moses' law dies without mercy on [the testimony of] two or three witnesses:
29 of how much worse punishment, think ye, shall he be judged worthy who has trodden under foot the Son of God, and esteemed the blood of the covenant, whereby he has been sanctified, common, and has insulted the Spirit of grace?
30 For we know him that said, To me [belongs] vengeance; *I* will recompense, saith the Lord: and again, The Lord shall judge his people.
Firstly, I didn't vote on the question, because I don't know what you mean by "sin of the death."

Some observations in the context of Hebrews:
1. He is writing to Jews who may or may not have heard the gospel. However, it is assumed they have heard OF Jesus.
2. It is an evangelistic gospel sermon.
3. It also edifies believers, since we all need this knowledge.
4. He is speaking of faith in Christ, since he has been talking about it from chapter 1, and this passage is directly prior to the chapter on faith.
5. The figures cited in v. 29 speak of rejection of Christ and the gospel.

Conclusion: the sin referred to in v. 26 is the sin of rejecting Christ as Lord and Savior. IOW, unbelief ("they were not able to enter [rest] because of their unbelief" - Heb. 3:19).

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
The whole section is about living under law vs the new Covenant of grace.

Rejecting the new Covenant by living under OLD Testament Law is to reject Jesus....

Which is what this passage refers to.

Jul 31, 2020
Matao- sp
Firstly, I didn't vote on the question, because I don't know what you mean by "sin of the death."

Some observations in the context of Hebrews:
1. He is writing to Jews who may or may not have heard the gospel. However, it is assumed they have heard OF Jesus.
2. It is an evangelistic gospel sermon.
3. It also edifies believers, since we all need this knowledge.
4. He is speaking of faith in Christ, since he has been talking about it from chapter 1, and this passage is directly prior to the chapter on faith.
5. The figures cited in v. 29 speak of rejection of Christ and the gospel.

Conclusion: the sin referred to in v. 26 is the sin of rejecting Christ as Lord and Savior. IOW, unbelief ("they were not able to enter [rest] because of their unbelief" - sin of the death I say,it's when someone lost ur salvation, John spoke that in 1john 5:16

1 John 5:16 If any one see his brother sinning a sin not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life, for those that do not sin unto death. There is a sin to death: I do not say of that that he should make a request.
https://bibliajfa.com.br/app/darby/62N/5/16

Jul 31, 2020
Matao- sp
The whole section is about living under law vs the new Covenant of grace.

Rejecting the new Covenant by living under OLD Testament Law is to reject Jesus....

Which is what this passage refers to.

Thxs for ur comment ,very wise

Dirtman

Jul 19, 2022
When reading Hebrews, you have to remember who the letter is to. This was written first and foremost to the Jews who had converted to Christianity. (Yes, I know those terms didnt yet exist) taking this in context it would be a huge temptation to return to temple law and the sacrifices. This text is a warning to them that the animal sacrifices no longer have any value to them.

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
According to Heb 1:1-2 the letter to Hebrews is addressed to the ancient
Jews' posterity, so Gentiles and their posterity need not concern themselves
with it; unless of course they have a rather morbid addiction to perpetual
bull sessions that never get to the bottom of anything.
_

Jul 31, 2020
Matao- sp
According to Heb 1:1-2 the letter to Hebrews is addressed to the ancient
Jews' posterity, so Gentiles and their posterity need not concern themselves
with it; unless of course they have a rather morbid addiction to perpetual
bull sessions that never get to the bottom of anything.
_

Thx for comment brother weber

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
According to Heb 1:1-2 the letter to Hebrews is addressed to the ancient Jews' posterity, so Gentiles and their posterity need not concern themselves with it...
That comment is totally false and misleading. In fact it is nonsensical.

Since Hebrews gives us a great insight into the finished work of Christ as well as His present ministry in Heaven, the epistle to the Hebrews is ONE OF THE KEY BOOKS of the New Testament for Gospel truth and Bible doctrine.

Regarding the passage in question, we should first understand that Hebrew Christians had originally been devout Torah-observant Jews. Therefore they could not easily walk away from the Law of Moses, and they also needed to know why the finished work of Christ was far superior to anything in the Old Covenant. For those who were vacillating between Moses and Christ, that passage in Hebrews 10 is A WARNING to remain true to Christ. As we see, Paul was confident that the Hebrew Christians would not go back to Moses.

In this connection, it should be noted that even the apostle Simon Peter -- the leading apostle before Paul -- had a very difficult time understanding how the finished work of Christ required a changed attitude of Jews to Gentiles. Also there were many Judaizing people in the various churches who were insisting that salvation by grace through faith must be supplemented with observance of the Law of Moses. They even wanted the Gentiles to be under that yoke.

But we also see how these things were clarified by the apostles, and also through the epistles of Paul. It was to Paul that the Mystery of the Church was revealed -- that all redeemed Jews and Gentiles are in one Body, with Christ as the Head.

Amanuensis

Jun 12, 2021

It is about disregarding the sacrifice that Jesus made for sin once and for all and going back to the Law of Moses and offering a sacrifice for sins that one commits in an effort to seek atonement.

Knowing that they will go back to the willful sin and do it all over again and think that God is accepting their Levitical liturgy and Temple cultic practices that they put their trust in before Jesus came and became the only sacrifice God will accept.

Hebrews is a letter to the Hebrew Christians who were also being pressured to mix Judaism with Christianity.

If they go back to it and ignore the sacrifice Jesus made once and for all but think they can add something to it, there remains no more sacrifice but Jesus and He alone.

None of this is talking about general backsliding or sinning after being born again. It is about the Jewish Christians (Hebrews) returning to Judaism. If they do that they will not have atonement through those methods as they once did.

I didn't make this up. It can be found in many commentaries where it is explained using scriptures to support it and the background information from the cultural setting etc.

Too many times the devil uses this to tell Christians who have fallen into a lust or sin or vice that they are lost forever and can't ever be as "saved or spiritual" as they were before they fell. It's a lie. Repent, the Lord will restore.

If however one is a Hebrew and trying to teach that they should practice sacrifices at the temple, or partake of the brazen altar in Jerusalem, of observe a feast of the Jews in Jerusalem to be more spiritual that other gentile Christians they might be in danger of having disregarded Jesus sacrifice as sufficient. These Hebrew Roots churches always concern me when I hear some of the teachings. Alarms go off and I think of Hebrews. The whole book is about this sort of thing. Its an appeal to the saints not to be led astray by Judaizers.

Jul 31, 2020
Matao- sp
That comment is totally false and misleading. In fact it is nonsensical.

Since Hebrews gives us a great insight into the finished work of Christ as well as His present ministry in Heaven, the epistle to the Hebrews is ONE OF THE KEY BOOKS of the New Testament for Gospel truth and Bible doctrine.

Regarding the passage in question, we should first understand that Hebrew Christians had originally been devout Torah-observant Jews. Therefore they could not easily walk away from the Law of Moses, and they also needed to know why the finished work of Christ was far superior to anything in the Old Covenant. For those who were vacillating between Moses and Christ, that passage in Hebrews 10 is A WARNING to remain true to Christ. As we see, Paul was confident that the Hebrew Christians would not go back to Moses.

In this connection, it should be noted that even the apostle Simon Peter -- the leading apostle before Paul -- had a very difficult time understanding how the finished work of Christ required a changed attitude of Jews to Gentiles. Also there were many Judaizing people in the various churches who were insisting that salvation by grace through faith must be supplemented with observance of the Law of Moses. They even wanted the Gentiles to be under that yoke.

But we also see how these things were clarified by the apostles, and also through the epistles of Paul. It was to Paul that the Mystery of the Church was revealed -- that all redeemed Jews and Gentiles are in one Body, with Christ as the Head.

Thx for wonderful explanation, beautiful comment

Jul 31, 2020
Matao- sp
It is about disregarding the sacrifice that Jesus made for sin once and for all and going back to the Law of Moses and offering a sacrifice for sins that one commits in an effort to seek atonement.

Knowing that they will go back to the willful sin and do it all over again and think that God is accepting their Levitical liturgy and Temple cultic practices that they put their trust in before Jesus came and became the only sacrifice God will accept.

Hebrews is a letter to the Hebrew Christians who were also being pressured to mix Judaism with Christianity.

If they go back to it and ignore the sacrifice Jesus made once and for all but think they can add something to it, there remains no more sacrifice but Jesus and He alone.

None of this is talking about general backsliding or sinning after being born again. It is about the Jewish Christians (Hebrews) returning to Judaism. If they do that they will not have atonement through those methods as they once did.

I didn't make this up. It can be found in many commentaries where it is explained using scriptures to support it and the background information from the cultural setting etc.

Too many times the devil uses this to tell Christians who have fallen into a lust or sin or vice that they are lost forever and can't ever be as "saved or spiritual" as they were before they fell. It's a lie. Repent, the Lord will restore.

If however one is a Hebrew and trying to teach that they should practice sacrifices at the temple, or partake of the brazen altar in Jerusalem, of observe a feast of the Jews in Jerusalem to be more spiritual that other gentile Christians they might be in danger of having disregarded Jesus sacrifice as sufficient. These Hebrew Roots churches always concern me when I hear some of the teachings. Alarms go off and I think of Hebrews. The whole book is about this sort of thing. Its an appeal to the saints not to be led astray by Judaizers.

Thanks for comment,God bless u :)

Jul 31, 2020
Matao- sp
When reading Hebrews, you have to remember who the letter is to. This was written first and foremost to the Jews who had converted to Christianity. (Yes, I know those terms didnt yet exist) taking this in context it would be a huge temptation to return to temple law and the sacrifices. This text is a warning to them that the animal sacrifices no longer have any value to them.

Thx for comment, brother:)

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I notice you severely restricted your Profile Page. Hmm... So, what Screen Name did you use the last time you were here on CC?

just wondering

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I notice your current Screen Name asks the question if Christian Chat be a "flute player."

Hmm...

Do you think CC is the "pied piper?" Leading people astray?

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
Heb 10:26 . . If we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge
of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins.

The pronoun "we" of course refers to the folks to whom the letter was
written, which according to Heb 1:1-2 are Moses' people, i.e. the Jews.
(There are a number of identity thieves at large insisting that the "my
church" spoken of by Matt 16:18 replaced the Jews.)

A knowledge of the truth for the Jew is of course the five books of the Old
Testament accredited to Moses-- i.e. the Pentateuch --plus the Psalms and
the Prophets. Those are very important because within them is found
information related to Messiah.

Luke 24:25-27 . . He said to them: O foolish ones, and slow of heart to
believe in all that the prophets have spoken. Ought not the Christ to have
suffered these things and to enter into His glory? And beginning at Moses
and all the Prophets, he expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things
concerning himself.

Luke 24:44-45 . .Then He said to them: These are the words which I spoke
to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were
written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms concerning me.
And He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the
Scriptures.

* I'm discovering numbers of Jews on YouTube who have a remarkably poor
knowledge of the Old Testament; and quite a few have actually been
forbidden by their rabbis to examine the text of the 53rd of Isaiah.

Anyway, the sacrifices spoken of by Heb 10:26 are those in the Old
Testament per Num 15:30-31 which says:

"The person, be they citizen or stranger, who acts defiantly reviles The Lord;
that person shall be cut off from among their people. Because they have
spurned the word of The Lord and violated His commandment, that person
shall be cut off-- they bear their guilt."

In other words: when a Jews proceeds to do something that they know full
well, from their schooling in yeshiva, is prohibited by the covenant that their
ancestors agreed upon with God per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and
Deuteronomy; they become guilty of a sin for which there is no atonement.
That Jew is in very grave danger of ending up on the wrong side of things.

Deut 27:26 . . Cursed are they who do not uphold the words of this law by
carrying them out.
_

Jul 31, 2020
Matao- sp
Heb 10:26 . . If we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge
of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice for sins.

The pronoun "we" of course refers to the folks to whom the letter was
written, which according to Heb 1:1-2 are Moses' people, i.e. the Jews.
(There are a number of identity thieves at large insisting that the "my
church" spoken of by Matt 16:18 replaced the Jews.)

A knowledge of the truth for the Jew is of course the five books of the Old
Testament accredited to Moses-- i.e. the Pentateuch --plus the Psalms and
the Prophets. Those are very important because within them is found
information related to Messiah.

Luke 24:25-27 . . He said to them: O foolish ones, and slow of heart to
believe in all that the prophets have spoken. Ought not the Christ to have
suffered these things and to enter into His glory? And beginning at Moses
and all the Prophets, he expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things
concerning himself.

Luke 24:44-45 . .Then He said to them: These are the words which I spoke
to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were
written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms concerning me.
And He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the
Scriptures.

* I'm discovering numbers of Jews on YouTube who have a remarkably poor
knowledge of the Old Testament; and quite a few have actually been
forbidden by their rabbis to examine the text of the 53rd of Isaiah.

Anyway, the sacrifices spoken of by Heb 10:26 are those in the Old
Testament per Num 15:30-31 which says:

"The person, be they citizen or stranger, who acts defiantly reviles The Lord;
that person shall be cut off from among their people. Because they have
spurned the word of The Lord and violated His commandment, that person
shall be cut off-- they bear their guilt."

In other words: when a Jews proceeds to do something that they know full
well, from their schooling in yeshiva, is prohibited by the covenant that their
ancestors agreed upon with God per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and
Deuteronomy; they become guilty of a sin for which there is no atonement.
That Jew is in very grave danger of ending up on the wrong side of things.

Deut 27:26 . . Cursed are they who do not uphold the words of this law by
carrying them out.
_

Nice explanation brother, I really like ur point of view