Hellfire is real

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
.........given the disagreement about this............boy, someone has to be wrong.......right? wow.......

View attachment 74368
Isaiah 34:9-11 Edom’s streams will be turned into pitch, her dust into burning sulfur; her land will become blazing pitch! It will not be quenched night or day; its smoke will rise forever. From generation to generation it will lie desolate; no one will ever pass through it again. The desert owl and screech owl will possess it; the great owl and the raven will nest there. God will stretch out over Edom the measuring line of chaos and the plumb line of desolation.

The smoke rising forever line is a line that is used in the Bible for hell, too. But here it seems to refer to a physical location on Earth. So it seems questionable whether there really will be smoke rising forever in Edom (especially since there will be a new heavens and a new earth made). And what likewise seems questionable is the literal interpretation of smoke rising forever in depicting destruction in hell fire. My interpretation is that it will probably be literal for a few individuals, but for the vast majority the torment inflicted upon them will be limited in scope. And the smoke probably speaks more to the eternal consequences of their punishment. Their destruction will be complete (i.e. they will cease to exist forever), and the magnitude of that punishment is represented as smoke rising "forever." In my opinion.

Last edited:
D

Daley

Isaiah 34:9-11 Edom’s streams will be turned into pitch, her dust into burning sulfur; her land will become blazing pitch! It will not be quenched night or day; its smoke will rise forever. From generation to generation it will lie desolate; no one will ever pass through it again. The desert owl and screech owl will possess it; the great owl and the raven will nest there. God will stretch out over Edom the measuring line of chaos and the plumb line of desolation.

The smoke rising forever line is a line that is used in the Bible for hell, too. But here it seems to refer to a physical location on Earth. So it seems questionable whether there really will be smoke rising forever in Edom (especially since there will be a new heavens and a new earth made). And what likewise seems questionable is the literal interpretation of smoke rising forever in depicting destruction in hell fire. My interpretation is that it will probably be literal for a few individuals, but for the vast majority the torment inflicted upon them will be limited in scope. And the smoke probably speaks more to the eternal consequences of their punishment. Their destruction will be complete (i.e. they will cease to exist forever), and the magnitude of that punishment is represented as smoke rising "forever." In my opinion.
How do you know that the time won't come when Edom will have a fire burn in it forever? If God so chooses to have thsi fire burn in his new world as a permanent reminder, so be it, it isn't impossible for God. And let me ask you this: can someone who does not exist be TORMENTED day and night forever? (Rev 20:10) What is TORMENT to a person who DOES NOT EXIST?

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
How do you know that the time won't come when Edom will have a fire burn in it forever? If God so chooses to have thsi fire burn in his new world as a permanent reminder, so be it, it isn't impossible for God. And let me ask you this: can someone who does not exist be TORMENTED day and night forever? (Rev 20:10) What is TORMENT to a person who DOES NOT EXIST?
I think that's one of the only places in the Bible where it actually comes right out and says that someone will be tormented forever. And it only refers to 1. Satan, 2. the Beast, and 3. the False Prophet. But before that in verse 9 when it talks about everyone else it says that fire came down from heaven and devoured them.

Devour = Katestheo = by fire, to devour i.e. to utterly consume, destroy

Of course it has many other definitions, but I think the above is the relevant one with regard to fire. With regard to Edom burning literally forever instead of eternal fire being a symbol of its complete destruction:

Revelation 21:1 Then I saw "a new heaven and a new earth," for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

Isaiah 65:17 See, I will create new heavens and a new earth. The former things will not be remembered, nor will they come to mind

Isaiah 51:6 Lift up your eyes to the heavens, look at the earth beneath; the heavens will vanish like smoke, the earth will wear out like a garment and its inhabitants die like flies. But my salvation will last forever, my righteousness will never fail.

Unless Edom is taken out of this world and placed in the new heavens and new earth, this appears to be completely destroying Edom, too. Everything except the Isaiah 65:17 passage seems to refer to a new physical heaven and earth. The Isaiah 65:17 passage is the only exception, and may be referring to the same earth and same heavens but saying that the old order of things will pass away and that they will forever be changed. But that would also have to be proven further, taking into account the language of the other passages that sounds physical in nature.

D

Daley

I think that's one of the only places in the Bible where it actually comes right out and says that someone will be tormented forever. And it only refers to 1. Satan, 2. the Beast, and 3. the False Prophet. But before that in verse 9 when it talks about everyone else it says that fire came down from heaven and devoured them.

Devour = Katestheo = by fire, to devour i.e. to utterly consume, destroy

Of course it has many other definitions, but I think the above is the relevant one with regard to fire. With regard to Edom burning literally forever instead of eternal fire being a symbol of its complete destruction:

Revelation 21:1 Then I saw "a new heaven and a new earth," for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

Isaiah 65:17 See, I will create new heavens and a new earth. The former things will not be remembered, nor will they come to mind

Isaiah 51:6 Lift up your eyes to the heavens, look at the earth beneath; the heavens will vanish like smoke, the earth will wear out like a garment and its inhabitants die like flies. But my salvation will last forever, my righteousness will never fail.

Unless Edom is taken out of this world and placed in the new heavens and new earth, this appears to be completely destroying Edom, too. Everything except the Isaiah 65:17 passage seems to refer to a new physical heaven and earth. The Isaiah 65:17 passage is the only exception, and may be referring to the same earth and same heavens but saying that the old order of things will pass away and that they will forever be changed. But that would also have to be proven further, taking into account the language of the other passages that sounds physical in nature.
If Revelation 20:10 was the ONLY place that said this, it would leave for you this question: how many times does God have to say something before it becomes true? If God tells me something ONCE that's enough. Does he have to tell you 100 times? How many times did God command Abraham to sacrifice his son before he obeyed?

Further, Revelation 20:10 isn't the only place that says this:

Matthew 25:41 speaks of the everlasting fire prepared for the Devil and his angels. If it was just referring to a destruction that has not yet come, then what has been "prepared"? The fire itself is eternal, and God doesn't have to say this ten times more for me to accept it.

Daniel 12:2 says the righteous will resurrect to everlasting life, but the wicked to "everlasting shame and disgrace." One needs to be in existence to experience shame and disgrace. But you would have us believe that someone who doesn't exist will be ashamed and disgraced? You and many like you on this site have been claiming that the everlasting fire just means the punishment of destruction will last forever, and point out that fire is a symbol of destruction. So is shame a symbol of destruction now too? Is disgrace a symbol of destruction? These are included in the punishment, and they will last "forever." What is your definition of everlasting shame and disgrace? Those in hell will be humiliated forever in eternal fire, and no amount of rationalizing as you are doing can escape the clear intent of passages like this. Sure, it doesn't use the word "torture" as in Revelation 20:10, but just think - if someone disgraced and shamed you for a long period of time, wouldn't that too be a torture? But you would need to be conscious to experience it, true.

Matthew 13:41-42, 50 says that in this "unquenchable fire" there will be "weeping and gnashing of teeth." Can people who are no longer in existence weep and gnash their teeth? In fact, the Bible keeps saying the fire is unquenchable (Matt 3:12; Mark 9:43), so it won't go out! If its only meant to destroy, why keep it burning forever? By the way, how many times does God call this fire unquenchable? Does he say it enough times for you?

Let's not forget the one that started this thread: Luke 16:19-31 where the rich man was in torment in this flaming fire.

Also, the Greek word for "destroy" (appollumai) does not mean to put out it existence. It only describes the loss of well being, not the loss of existence. In Mark 2:22 when Jesus says that the new wine would "burst" the old wineskin, the Greek word for "burst" is appollumai, which doesn't mean the wineskins no longer exist, but that they are ruined. A person in hell is ruined, cannot function for the purpose for which he was made like a broken light bulb, but that doesn't mean he doesn't exist. Greek Scholars like W.E. Vine, A. T. Robertson and many others back me up on this. Check it out.

D

Daley

You also argue that because the former heaven and earth will be removed that there would be no Edom in the new world unless God takes Edom out of this world and places it in the other. It seems God has greater imagination than you do, which is not so surprising, for in this new heaven and earth, after the return of Christ (Zech 14:3-4), when he rules as king over the earth (Zech 14:9), there will still be a Jerusalem (Zech 14:10-11), an Egypt (Zech 14:18) and a Judah (Zech 14:21). The world will still be divided into "nations" and have "kings" (Rev 21:24). So will Egypt, Jerusalem, Judah, the nations and kings be taken out of this world and placed in the new heavens and earth?

You quoted a list of passages about the passing away of the former heaven and earth and said that this somehow is destroying Edom completely, so does it not also destroy Egypt? Does it not also destroy Jerusalem, Judah and all the nations? But unlike you I go by faith, so if God says Egypt will be in the new world, I don't need to rationalize how it will happen, I trust his word, and if he tells me Edom will be there, I believe him. You may not want to believe God would keep Edom burning in his new world, but he also speaks of the plague, of refusing to let rain fall on anyone who does not come up to Jerusalem for the feast in Zech 14, so even in this new world there will be punishment for disobedience. Humans will still be free moral agents who can choose to obey, or disobey. God isn't creating mindless robots in the new world.

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
You may not want to believe God would keep Edom burning in his new world, but he also speaks of the plague, of refusing to let rain fall on anyone who does not come up to Jerusalem for the feast in Zech 14, so even in this new world there will be punishment for disobedience.
Edom is a piece of the former world. I can see it as still burning if it is removed from the old world. It's a possibility. But I think you're mistaking the millennial reign of Christ for the new world. In my interpretation of events there will be a New Jerusalem that comes to this world before the world and the heavens are finally destroyed. It is a city prepared for Christ's Millennial Reign and may continue to exist for eternity albeit in another location. But when Christ reigns for 1000 years that is the period of time when plagues are sent against those nations who do not have people go up to Jerusalem to celebrate Sukkot. Sounds like a crowded city, right? Not really. It's an extremely large city.

But look at it this way. Even if one thought that during this time the old heaven and old earth had passed away they still have the old laws to deal with such as the Festival of Shelters (i.e. Sukkot) that people who don't celebrate are being plagued for. So you have an Old Testament law that is in effect during this period. So according to Christ's words the old heaven and the old earth must not have passed away during this period. And if you feel this is some time in the future when Christ is reigning, then your best bet is that it is during the start of Christ's Millennial Reign as neither the old testament laws nor the heavens and earth have passed away.

One needs to be in existence to experience shame and disgrace.
Before the United States' involvement in WWII President Franklin Roosevelt said in a speech that December 7, 1941 would be a date that lived in infamy. He didn't mean that we forever needed to be in that singular day for it to be remembered infamously. Likewise people don't always need to exist to be held in scorn, shame and contempt. Look at Hitler. He's long been dead. Let's look at some passages dealing with the use of "everlasting" and "forever" though.
Genesis 17:8 And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God. [owlam = everlasting]

Genesis 13:15 For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever. [owlam = for ever]

Isaiah 34:10 It shall not be quenched night nor day; the smoke thereof shall go up for ever: from generation to generation it shall lie waste; none shall pass through it for ever and ever. [owlam = for ever; netsach = for ever and ever]

If Edom will be taken out of this world and transported to the next so that its smoke can rise for eternity then Canaan must be placed in the new world forever as well.

If Revelation 20:10 was the ONLY place that said this, it would leave for you this question: how many times does God have to say something before it becomes true? If God tells me something ONCE that's enough. Does he have to tell you 100 times?
You misunderstand me. God says of Satan, the Beast and the False Prophet that their torment will last forever. I trust those words in as much as the word forever resembles our Modern English word. But I don't recall it ever being mentioned that the torment of all sinful human beings would last forever, and so there is no reason for me to assume that it will.

The fire itself is eternal, and God doesn't have to say this ten times more for me to accept it.
Yes, the fire seems to be eternal. If it weren't around forever then Satan, the Beast and the False Prophet would not be tormented forever. But from what I see of the passage it's telling me that sinful humans depart into an everlasting fire. It says nothing about them being tormented forever. And from past experience I know that whatever fire burns it destroys. So by default I take this to mean that they will depart into eternal fire and be utterly consumed, no longer existing for eternity. The only exception to traditional logic here in dealing with fire is with regard to Satan, the Beast and the False Prophet; they appear to be kept alive forever - in spite of a consuming fire - in order to suffer torment. But there is one more exception that deals with the Millennial Reign of Christ.

Isaiah 66:24 “And they will go out and look on the dead bodies of those who rebelled against me; the worms that eat them will not die, the fire that burns them will not be quenched, and they will be loathsome to all mankind.”

But here it says that their bodies are dead. What I personally take away from this is that they are killed, but that their dead bodies lie preserved as a memory. This would also count as an extended period of disgrace and contempt without them actually being alive to endure any sort of torment. Because we can look out on their bodies and see their shame. If the torment were meant to last for eternity for all sinful human beings, then there'd be no point in resurrecting them with physical bodies if their bodies were just going to be burned to death again. The torment would be more spiritual in nature. If these dead bodies' spirits are to be around to suffer torment after their bodies have died, then there's no need to resurrect them in the first place. They can suffer a spiritual torment instead - as that would be the ultimate result of the fire. However, they don't appear to be suffering here but instead appear to be dead.

So my concept of hell fire and the torment to come has not been changed. But I feel the concept of the new heaven and new earth warrants further research.

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
Also notice that in Daniel 12:2 the word used for "contempt" is the same as a word in Isaiah 66:24 to describe the fate of the people whose bodies are dead. So obviously the people don't need to be alive to be shamed and held in contempt.

Daniel 12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

Isaiah 66:24 And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

contempt = dera'own
abhorring = dera'own

A carcass isn't alive. And therefore doesn't usually suffer shame even if it is shamed. And it likely wouldn't suffer fiery torment even if it were in flames.

Last edited:
D

Daley

I take Isaiah 66:24 literally. I just wish you could do the same when the same exact kind of language is applied to hellfire. The carcasses will burn forever, but notice it doesn't say the carcasses will be in torment. It also is careful to mention that the shame or abhorring will be experienced, not by the carcasses, but by "all flesh" that sees the carcasses. This is not the case in Daniel 12:2 or the verses in Matthew which say that in the outer darkness the wicked themselves will experience shame and gnashing of teeth. Again, they have to exist and be alive to experience this. If you choose to find reasons not to believe in hellfire that won't make it go away.

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
I take Isaiah 66:24 literally. I just wish you could do the same when the same exact kind of language is applied to hellfire. The carcasses will burn forever, but notice it doesn't say the carcasses will be in torment. It also is careful to mention that the shame or abhorring will be experienced, not by the carcasses, but by "all flesh" that sees the carcasses. This is not the case in Daniel 12:2 or the verses in Matthew which say that in the outer darkness the wicked themselves will experience shame and gnashing of teeth. Again, they have to exist and be alive to experience this. If you choose to find reasons not to believe in hellfire that won't make it go away.
Forgive me if I'm wrong on this one, but I don't see Daniel 12:2 saying that the people will be able to feel shame and contempt for eternity or at all. Arguably you could say they are resurrected to feel shameful and contemptible, but that's not what the passage is saying. It simply says that they will be resurrected unto shame and contempt. To me that means 1. they're feeling shameful and contemptible or 2. shame and contempt are being cast upon them or 3. both. I'm alright with whatever explanation you have to offer here. But I don't see the passage supporting the notion that they'll be feeling shameful and contemptible for eternity.

Daniel 12:2 and Isaiah 66:24 do appear to happen at the same time. That is, after the Millennial Reign according to Revelation 20:7-9. The dead that are burning and that are held in contempt by everyone who passes by in Isaiah 66:24 seem to be those who are devoured with hell fire before the Second Resurrection Judgment. And if it's a relatively quick passage of time between these dead being devoured in hell fire and the Second Resurrection Judgment, then those who were just devoured by hell fire may not be resurrected for the Judgment (because their judgment already appears to have come). If it's a relatively long passage of time in between, then it would be enough time for people to walk by and hold them in contempt and then for the Second Resurrection Judgment to come. But either way we look at it, either one group of people will not be in the Judgment immediately following or else the fact that their "fire will not be quenched" has no bearing on whether their suffering is eternal or not. Because even if their fire would not be quenched they'd still need to be resurrected again to face the Judgment after which it would be said of them, "Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." And that would imply that they were not currently in the fire. So this would be the eternal fire they had just come from only to depart to it again. So the Judgment does not appear to be as standardized for all people as we would think since there appear to be minor exceptions in the process. Some whose guilt is apparent for all to see are destroyed right away while others are held for judgment first and then destroyed. And notice there is no deliberation on Satan's crimes. He seems to be speedily judged as were those following him. And their judgment comes before the Second Resurrection Judgment formally commences.

I've also asked myself what kind of bodies people will be resurrected with - whether they will be spiritual or physical. And, taking the entire Bible together, it appears the spiritually dead may be resurrected with physical bodies and the spiritually alive will be resurrected with spiritual bodies.

1 Corinthians 15:42-44, 53-54 So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. [...] For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.”

The reason I think there is a separation here is because 1. the spiritually dead are dead, 2. those who live in Christ are spiritually alive, 3. it is said before of the spiritually dead that they will receive contempt and shame - not glory as describes those with spiritual bodies, 4. it is only said of those who are spiritually alive that "Death has been swallowed up in victory" because their bodies cannot perish any more. And that last statement is certainly true in Revelation 20:6.

Revelation 20:6 Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.

Although I would argue that Satan and the demons have spiritual bodies, which could be why it is said that they will be tormented forever. But I'm sure God could destroy anyone he wanted in spite of what new and fancy body they had. So I tend to think the spiritually dead will not have glorified spiritual bodies. So my interpretation of the Judgment and hell fire is as follows:

Satan will attack with his mortal army. Hell fire will come down and devour his army, killing them (these are the dead corpses that are burning with flame and whose worm does not die). Satan will be speedily judged and thrown into everlasting fire. The Second Resurrection Judgment will commence. Those who are spiritually dead and only have physical bodies will be thrown into the everlasting fire where Satan already is. They will be burned up. They will cease to exist. Satan will no doubt continue to suffer for either the distant future or literally forever.

I'm divided on what happens to those in Satan's army though - whether their judgment had already come previous to the formal Judgment or not. But that's my interpretation of events thus far.

Last edited:

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
By the way, my concept of hell fire is most likely different from yours. I don't believe it only exists in the lake of fire. Just as fire does not only exist in one place, so hell fire doesn't exist in only one place (i.e. Lake of Fire). So I do believe in hell fire; just not in the same sense that you seem to do.

D

Daley

By the way, my concept of hell fire is most likely different from yours. I don't believe it only exists in the lake of fire. Just as fire does not only exist in one place, so hell fire doesn't exist in only one place (i.e. Lake of Fire). So I do believe in hell fire; just not in the same sense that you seem to do.
Please don't put words in my mouth. I never said fire only exists in one place. Also, I don't know why you are calling the fire that comes down from heaven to devour Satan's army "hell fire." Its simply fire from the sky, nothing more. That doesn't say anything about a place called Hades/Sheol/Hell.

Now, Daniel 12:2 says some will awake to shame and "EVERLASTING contempt." This contempt will be everlasting, it will last forever. This could not be contempt the righteous ones are feeling for the wicked, because any contempt the saved will feel for the lost cannot last forever in God's new world, as he promises the redeemed that "the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind." (Isa 65:17) At some point, the righteous inhabitants of the new heavens and new earth will not recall the wicked, or their suffering, or sin, etc...The former things have passed away! So it is, not the righteous, but the wicked, who will forever have to live with this shame, and everlasting contempt!

Notice also how the two groups are compared in Daniel 12:2. The righteous awake to everlasting life. Is this life something other people experience? No, it is what they themselves experience; so the "some" who will rise to everlasting life will experience everlasting life consciously; similarly, therefore, the "some" that rise to shame and everlasting contempt will experience EVERLASTING contempt, just as the other group will consciously experience everlasting life. This is the clear, unbiased reading of the text, and none of these gymnastics you are doing will get around that. But its up to you what you choose to believe.

You also say that "ONLY" the Devil will experience everlasting torment in Revelation 20:10, but that verse also mentions the wild beast and the false prophet. It says "they shall be tormented" (Young's Literal Trasnaltion, NASB, NIV, NLT, ESV, NET, ISV, ASV, ERV, and many others), so who are the wild beast and false prophet that will also be tormented with Satan? Rather you view them as single individuals are organizations of people, they are still men, are they not? So not only Satan, but wicked humans too will be tormented forever.

Also, let me clarify that the lake of fire is not hell, its another place. And while the Bible shows that hell is not eternal, the lake of fire surely is. (Rev 20:14)

W

wordhelpsme

What is the true Greek word for hell?

There are so many people in the whole world that reflect the disposition of a God who would torment and burn someone forever.

Can a God of Love comdemn a human to such an act that goes against his own justice.

Can any human do enough in their short life to merit such a comdemnation.

Seriously

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
Also, I don't know why you are calling the fire that comes down from heaven to devour Satan's army "hell fire." Its simply fire from the sky, nothing more.
Was refering to it as that, because I consider it to be the same fire as the "hell fire" that people have made references to in this thread. The term "hell fire" though is an inadequate term in my opinion. Just expressing my belief that the fire is the same sort of fire - whether it be rained on the enemies of God or used to make a rather large lake of the stuff for eternal punishment.

"the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind."
That kind of rules out Edom burning forever in the new heavens and new earth. It also tends to rule out Canaan being an everlasting possession in the English sense of the word. What's the point in having an everlasting possession that you don't remember? Will all who walk through that region be suddenly afflicted with alzheimer's? Or what's the point in having Edom burn forever if no one's around to witness or remember it? No mental gymnastics here. Just reasonable deductions.

The "everlasting" of Daniel 12:2 refers not to shame but to contempt. If you really wanted to take it in an entirely literal English fashion, I could just as well turn around and say that God will hold them in contempt forever but that Christians won't remember them. But the word "everlasting" here has meanings ranging from "antiquity" and "long duration" to "everlasting" and "world." I think we can both agree that the unsaved will be punished in fire, but when one takes at face value the English translation of a Hebrew word with multiple definitions ranging from "world" to "antiquity" and that much depends on the context of where it's used, then I think they would do an injustice to determine its definition based on an English translation rather than the context in which it is found. Take the following passage for example:

1 Samuel 1:22 But Hannah went not up; for she said unto her husband, I will not go up until the child be weaned, and then I will bring him, that he may appear before the LORD, and there abide for ever.

Obviously Hannah didn't think Samuel would abide there in the literal English sense of "forever." Rather he probably lived there for some number of decades. So here your English word "forever" roughly translates to "10-70 years." Passages like this one are what make me think that the word (i.e. owlam) was not meant in the literal sense of forever at all times but rather served sometimes as an agent of hyperbole. Here it seems to be used to emphasize that Samuel would no longer live with Hannah, because she was giving him up. Here's what one lexicon has to say about it:

Gesenius' Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon said:
When it is applied to human affairs, and specially to individual men, it commonly signifies all the days of life [...] The true notion of eternity is found in this word in those passages which speak of the immortal nature of God himself [...] Also a peculiar class is formed of those places in which the Hebrews use the metaphysical notion of eternity by hyperbole [...]
Notice the last definition that deals with hyperbole, which is what I've been saying all along. I would imagine some hyperbole to be used in dealing with emotional circumstances such as eternal punishment. But what I shouldn't imagine is for someone who has been familiar with the concept of burning up chaff or the nature of death all his life to claim that "death" means "an eternal life of torment" unless that person has accumulated certain cultural biases that have influenced his views on eternal punishment.

This is the clear, unbiased reading of the text
Your text is a little beside the point, since it's not the translation of the original work that matters but the original work itself.

You also say that "ONLY" the Devil will experience everlasting torment
I don't think I did. If I did I take it back. But I think I only made mention of Satan. That's not to say I was counting out the Beast or the False Prophet. If you read my previous messages you'll see that I included them in the torment that would last "forever." But as for most - if not all - human beings, I think it's fairly clear that they're burned up like chaff (Matthew 3:12).

If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. But these are my views, and I feel they're the best interpretation of Scripture.

D

Daley

What is the true Greek word for hell?

There are so many people in the whole world that reflect the disposition of a God who would torment and burn someone forever.

Can a God of Love comdemn a human to such an act that goes against his own justice.

Can any human do enough in their short life to merit such a comdemnation.

Seriously
Can any human do enough in their short life span to merit eternal life in God's new world? Can any human do enough in their short life span to earn salvation? No, it can't be earned, its a free gift. The reward doesn't seem to fit anything we have done, yet it doesn't mean this isn't really true. I suggest that eternal torment may not seem to you like a just punishment, but neither you nor I get to decide what justice is, God does, and if he says he will torment Satan, the wild beast and false prophet forever (Rev 20:10), who are you to argue with God that these three were not around long enough to do enough damage to deserve such a long punishment? After all, any amount of time compared to eternity is insignificant.

God ordered people to kill a man just for picking up sticks and killed another man just for touching the ark. God killed David's baby for his father's own sin with Bathsheba. Was it fair to the child? These things make me cringe. But if the word of God says it, I believe it by faith. I don't ask God to justify himself to me. I suggest you don't ask him to justify himself to you.

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
God ordered people to kill a man just for picking up sticks and killed another man just for touching the ark.
Numbers 15:32 But anyone who sins defiantly, whether native-born or foreigner, blasphemes the Lord and must be cut off from the people of Israel.

This is the passage that precedes that of the man gathering sticks. And given that this is in Numbers, the law regarding the Sabbath had already been written down and given to the Israelites in previous passages such as in Exodus and Leviticus. Moreover, the Israelites had already shown themselves to be stiff necked when the rule regarding the Sabbath was given, as they went out to gather more manna on the Sabbath but found none. So I think it's safer to assume that this man was sinning defiantly rather than to say that he had no idea what was going on and was some innocent bystander who was suddenly nabbed without explanation and put to death.

God killed David's baby for his father's own sin with Bathsheba.
We're already told why God killed David and Bathsheba's baby.

2 Samuel 12:14 Howbeit, because by this deed thou hast given great occasion to the enemies of the LORD to blaspheme, the child also that is born unto thee shall surely die.

It wasn't for some convoluted idea of justice to place blame on the head of the child for the father's sins. If a man who has a son commits murder, then the man will be put into prison for the rest of his life or executed and the son will be without a father for the rest of his life. Our sins affect each other. That's not to say that the justice system is punishing the son for the father's sins. But as a byproduct of the father's sins the son suffers.

The real question should be: to what extent did the consequences of the enemies blaspheming the Lord go? We're not told this. In fact most of us would probably agree that this was a relatively private matter and the enemies of God would not get wind of it. But that only demonstrates our ignorance, and I'd rather not leap to conclusions and condemn God based on my ignorance of the specifics of a matter that happened 3000 years ago. Suffice it to say that God thought the consequences were severe enough.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2013
I've seen a guy swimming in the "Lake of Fyre". Hell is where you burn up. Not the Lake of Fyre.

Nov 20, 2013
I had an experience. I'm not sure if my vitals had to be restarted or not, but I was sitting in a chair and an angel was in front of me/around me. She did something, or something else did, and I felt it. It felt good. The question is, if I wouldn't have made it back to "consciousness" would I have ever known it. ?????????. I will say, that Holy Spirit can bring you back, possibly keep your mind conscious, etc. There's no telling. Fear not the Spirit, accept Jesus as your saviour, and you have no worries.

D

Daley

The things that won't be remembered anymore are the things that cause pain, such as death, mourning, suffering. This would rule out anyone remembering that their children are burning in hell. But this doesn't rule out Edom being there in fire as a warning against anyone sinning against him in the future. Like I said, the Bible is clear on the issue of hell. If you choose to wriggle out of what it says, that won't make it less real. Just be sure you are saved and you have nothing to fear about hell.

D

Daley

Numbers 15:32 But anyone who sins defiantly, whether native-born or foreigner, blasphemes the Lord and must be cut off from the people of Israel.

This is the passage that precedes that of the man gathering sticks. And given that this is in Numbers, the law regarding the Sabbath had already been written down and given to the Israelites in previous passages such as in Exodus and Leviticus. Moreover, the Israelites had already shown themselves to be stiff necked when the rule regarding the Sabbath was given, as they went out to gather more manna on the Sabbath but found none. So I think it's safer to assume that this man was sinning defiantly rather than to say that he had no idea what was going on and was some innocent bystander who was suddenly nabbed without explanation and put to death.

We're already told why God killed David and Bathsheba's baby.

2 Samuel 12:14 Howbeit, because by this deed thou hast given great occasion to the enemies of the LORD to blaspheme, the child also that is born unto thee shall surely die.

It wasn't for some convoluted idea of justice to place blame on the head of the child for the father's sins. If a man who has a son commits murder, then the man will be put into prison for the rest of his life or executed and the son will be without a father for the rest of his life. Our sins affect each other. That's not to say that the justice system is punishing the son for the father's sins. But as a byproduct of the father's sins the son suffers.

The real question should be: to what extent did the consequences of the enemies blaspheming the Lord go? We're not told this. In fact most of us would probably agree that this was a relatively private matter and the enemies of God would not get wind of it. But that only demonstrates our ignorance, and I'd rather not leap to conclusions and condemn God based on my ignorance of the specifics of a matter that happened 3000 years ago. Suffice it to say that God thought the consequences were severe enough.
You totally missed my point. I never argued that these sinners didn't sin defiantly. I merely pointed out that their sins seemed small in comparison to the sentence of death, but that didn't make it unfair in God's eyes. Does it seem fair to kill David's baby because his father committed adultery? So you're excuse is that the child would be an orphan? So what? Plenty of orphans exist today. Is killing them the solution? Someone could have cared for this one child, could they not? What does Scripture say God did?

After Nathan had gone home, the LORD struck the child that Uriah's wife had borne to David, and he became ill. (2 Sam 12:15) So I'm not blaming God, God is admitting that he himself is the one who made the child sick, so that it died. So the child didn't just die because his parents committed adultery. Many children today are the result of adultery, yet they are not dead because of it. This child died because of God's punishment. God said it, so I believe it. Now, what crime could this child have committed to deserve death? If God says I will punish him with death, who are we to argue that God is unfair? Yet, you want to argue that hellfire isn't fair because it doesn't fit the crime?

Is it fair to kill a man for picking up sticks? Yes, the man knows he shouldn't have done it on the sabbath, so, does that make it fair? Does the sentence of death fit the crime of picking up sticks? Wouldn't lashes or some time in confinement or fine be a good punishment? It may not seem fair, but if God says kill him, I have to agree with God. And I have the same attitude towards eternal torment. You say a man cannot do enough in his lifetime to warrant eternal torment, but Satan can? How long is Satan's lifespan so far compared to eternity? Nothing...So you can't just use time as a rule to measure the severity of what God's punishment should be.