Help me pray for Gods will. Please. Major Guilt Issues

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

TreeOfGlory

Im big into healthy living, organic food, farmers market, etc....

About a year ago I started feeling heavy guilt like I could never find the perfect food or I was harming the world or I was making a mistake.

I feel guilt. I drive to the grocery store and feel guilty for polluting the air by driving my vehicle. I buy something from the store and I feel guilty for supporting a major company instead of buying something at the local market.
I want to order things off the internet such as probitoics and Oil Of Oregano for health but now i feel like ordering something is wrong and and im not just going with the flow of life.. So confusingl....and I have become majorly depressed.

Major guilt issues lately

Can I trust that if something is bad for the world such as causing too much pollution or damaging the environment that God will stop it for happening? If I am doing something that causes harm to others he will stop it or guide me away from it?

Please help

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
This sounds remarkably like Scrupulosity. That is an unreasonable guilt that cannot be resolved.

For one thing, you have elevated your care of the earth (a good thing) to an idol. God is going to return and restore the earth. And while we are responsible to be good stewards, that does not mean to the point of insanity.

I think you need to see a medical doctor and get some psychiatric help. I am big time into organic, growing my own veggies, etc. etc. But it is only a part of my life, not my obsession.

Now being obsessed with loving and serving God - that is a different story. If you are going to have passion, let it be about serving Jesus Christ. Your profile says you are a Christian. Then put God first.

Yet

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
I just prayed.

T

TreeOfGlory

This sounds remarkably like Scrupulosity. That is an unreasonable guilt that cannot be resolved.

For one thing, you have elevated your care of the earth (a good thing) to an idol. God is going to return and restore the earth. And while we are responsible to be good stewards, that does not mean to the point of insanity.

I think you need to see a medical doctor and get some psychiatric help. I am big time into organic, growing my own veggies, etc. etc. But it is only a part of my life, not my obsession.

Now being obsessed with loving and serving God - that is a different story. If you are going to have passion, let it be about serving Jesus Christ. Your profile says you are a Christian. Then put God first.

I actually am counseling for OCD. but am wondering if some type of Christian counseling would be better suited

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Scrupulosity is a form of OCD. I think you should stick with the secular counselor and get as much benefit as you can. Unless you can find a board certified Christian psychologist, who unders this disease, especially with regards to guilt.

Praying you get the help you need.

T

TreeOfGlory

is praying for God to stop something I Might do from happening if it is not of his will a good prayer or a selfish one?

say even when Im about to purchase something off the internet. "god if this is harmful or against your will I trust in you to stop it"

I know sound crazy but it brings me some comfort to think about

Dec 1, 2014
Let's simplify this: "GOD WOULD HAVE NONE PERISH". If you align yourself with that mindset, you are in HIS will. HE will open doors, direct, melt and mold you down if you are serious enough to think along the same lines. Period. Keep in mind, confusion only comes from one source....and guess what..it is NOT from GOD.

Instead, focus on your spiritual gifts listed in the new testiment...you have a spiritual gift or two...if you utilize and discover them via Holy Spirit. Make sure you are being fed the WORD at your church, and that you keep your nose in the BIBLE for yourself. Instead of worrying over using your vehicle as a source of pollution, perhaps it could be a source for someone to get to church, or a grocery run, or a way and means for you and a friend to go to CHRISTIAN seminars or services.

When the focus becomes towards others, you are less likely to be guilty and thinking thoughts dealing with your phoebias. Surrender them to JESUS..dust yourself off and start walking with a fresh direction. Approach GOD with prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving as you ask for direction on this.

Joidevivre

Jul 15, 2014
How long have you been in counseling and has it helped in any way? As Angela posted, it is good to stay with an experienced person in this field.

But in addition, it would be beneficial for you to find a group of Christian men you could study the bible with and pray for each other. Church is fine, but there is nothing like 3 or 4 men getting together and praying for each other weekly.

I pray you find relief from this.

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
If you dump battery acid in a local lake, or become a glutton, or disable your smog control: you may have cause for guilt.

Making reasonable use of the good things that are available is not reason for guilt. If you can afford and enjoy organic food; by all means enjoy it.

If you need to buy the cheap stuff no need to feel guilt over it.

T

TreeOfGlory

A little over a month but It hasn't done too much for me. I was thinking about trying this counseling center out

Do you think this looks legit?

About Us - Christian Counseling in Crystal Lake, IL | Counseling for Couples, Individuals, Adolescents & Families

How long have you been in counseling and has it helped in any way? As Angela posted, it is good to stay with an experienced person in this field.

But in addition, it would be beneficial for you to find a group of Christian men you could study the bible with and pray for each other. Church is fine, but there is nothing like 3 or 4 men getting together and praying for each other weekly.

I pray you find relief from this.

Dec 12, 2013
Sounds like you worry too much friend.......cast all your care (anxiety) upon Him for He careth for you.....No offence, but there are some things that you worry about that you do not need to worry about....!

T

TreeOfGlory

Sounds like you worry too much friend.......cast all your care (anxiety) upon Him for He careth for you.....No offence, but there are some things that you worry about that you do not need to worry about....!
No offense taken.. trying to work through this

A

atwhatcost

Im big into healthy living, organic food, farmers market, etc....

About a year ago I started feeling heavy guilt like I could never find the perfect food or I was harming the world or I was making a mistake.

I feel guilt. I drive to the grocery store and feel guilty for polluting the air by driving my vehicle. I buy something from the store and I feel guilty for supporting a major company instead of buying something at the local market.
I want to order things off the internet such as probitoics and Oil Of Oregano for health but now i feel like ordering something is wrong and and im not just going with the flow of life.. So confusingl....and I have become majorly depressed.

Major guilt issues lately

Can I trust that if something is bad for the world such as causing too much pollution or damaging the environment that God will stop it for happening? If I am doing something that causes harm to others he will stop it or guide me away from it?

Please help
Here's some bigger questions: Can you trust the world to tell you these things truthfully? Do you think the world has a handle on all of this stuff? And, bigger question, do you think any of that stuff makes an impact for loving God fully or loving others fully?

Loving God fully and loving others fully. That's the goal. What are you being consumed with?

I've got news for you. When I was five years younger than you, this is what the world was preaching:
-- Coffee is bad for you.
-- Wrapping yourself up in plastic wrap will make you thinner.
-- "Pork, the other white meat."
-- Wine is bad for you.
-- Sex is good for you, even with multiple partners, any kind of sex, as long as you wear a rubber. (Rather explains why HPV is causing so much cancer in middle aged folks today.)
-- They never talked about things like autism, learning disabilities, and such, because that's just bad parenting skills. To listen to them, there was no CFS, no Fibro, and no problems taking out your gallbladder.
-- Get plenty of sun. A tan is a very good thing.
-- Oh, and my favorite -- stop using paper bags, because it's killing trees. Use plastic bags.

Sounds to me like you've been trusting the wrong people, and now it's become something of an addiction.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
A lot of that thought is tied in with the New Agers "you are god", Mother Earth etc.
Problem is if you are gods then a huge responsibility falls on you as you see things fall apart.

In the past the types of Scripture that freed me from that kind of bondage was...

But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, and then the heavens will pass away with a roar, and the heavenly bodies will be burned up and dissolved, and the earth and the works that are done on it will be exposed. Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of people ought you to be in lives of holiness and godliness, waiting for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be set on fire and dissolved, and the heavenly bodies will melt as they burn! But according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.
(2Pe 3:10-13)

and the stars of the sky fell to the earth as the fig tree sheds its winter fruit when shaken by a gale. The sky vanished like a scroll that is being rolled up, and every mountain and island was removed from its place.
(Rev 6:13-14)

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more.
(Rev 21:1)

Seems to me the Green Meanies are going to have their hands full working overtime trying to keep up with the environmental disasters coming.

Last edited:
T

TreeOfGlory

thank you for the prayers and responses so far. Gonna be a long night of reflection.

Think I am going to go that Christian Counseling also