Hobbies

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

ChristianTonyB

“A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money” is a popular saying that has been printed
on gift items, such as T-shirts and posters. “A yacht, they say, is a hole in the water surrounded by wood
into which money is poured” has been cited in print since at least 1961 and is of unknown authorship.

Other sayings about boat ownership include “The two happiest days of a man’s life—the day he
bought the boat and the day he sold the boat” and “BOAT: Break Out Another Thousand (dollars).”

12 Days Before The Mast
What can you say about the sea? Only that it is big, said Chekhov. But a landlubber
who sailed in the Transpacific race found a lot to say—most of it bad. Gilbert Rogin

source
Heh, Heh, but it'd be fun Magenta😁 Where's your sense of adventure 😎. I know, I know, you've left it in your purse where it is just fine, thank you 😑

C

ChristianTonyB

I only personally collect books that I will read and use though so, a count of my shelves is about 200 mostly gardening books and some local history. The gardening books are for reference so they must have good pictures and information about plants relating to my climate. (so sorry, no exclusively northern hemisphere gardening books) . Oh and the Bible of course.
The rest of my reading books I just borrow from the library and return and they are on all on any to
topic I am interested in reading about, which can be as vast as the universe is.

I think this started when I learned to read, which I recall happened by osmosis, I think by end of kindergarten. I do recall learning phonics off Sesame street, but I dont actually recall ever being read to by my own parents. Never had a bedtime story or anything. But I was taken to the library, and the mobile,library would park at the end of street on a Tuesday and we weere allowed 4 books at a time.
That's very interesting L. Have you ever had a thought to teach at all? Many state schools in Queensland have teacher librarians as a role, not sure about other states!

C

ChristianTonyB

I like to collect souvenirs while I’m on vacation throughout various locations. :cool:
Do you catalogue them and put them on show on cabinet shelving or the like? Do you have a pic of them on show... be interesting to see.

C

ChristianTonyB

I am finally growing tomato plants over 6ft. tall now. I used to be blessed to grow anything but dirt,lol. I am not one to give up though easily. I love fishing but am usually old school about it. Really do not try lures or fake bait. Mainly crawlers, crawdads, and chicken liver. Motorcycles can be alot of fun to ride. I mainly have been a passenger. Although a few years back ordered a moped and when delivered had to finish putting it together. It wasn't hard until I found they had forgotten to send a nut for the front wheel axle. Had to go to a motor cycle shop for the part.
Being a pillion on motorcycle requires much courage IMO. I've done it a couple of times and it was scary, and realised I lack courage to do that again! Much less stressful having hands on the handlebar. Do you still ride the Moped?

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Heh, Heh, but it'd be fun Magenta😁 Where's your sense of adventure 😎. I know, I know, you've left it in your purse where it is just fine, thank you 😑
I've spent a fair amount of time on the water, but never owned a boat. My sense of adventure
would perhaps extend to seriously entertaining the possibility of living on a boat :)

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
That's very interesting L. Have you ever had a thought to teach at all? Many state schools in Queensland have teacher librarians as a role, not sure about other states!
I have taught but I am not a registered school teacher
Not something the Lord has been calling me to do ...classroom teachers need LOUD voices to reprimand their naughty children lol and I dont have that.

also, then I would be doing two jobs at once and that wouldnt be fair because a librarian needs to be a dedicated librarian not a teacher (and police) as well and then do half a job
I already work in schools so I know how it works

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
librarians already do most everything else to support children and teachers the only thing is if we are paid enough and recongnised for the work we do

rather than people saying oh that job is just a hobby or something you volunteer to do. Its so important to have access to books

C

ChristianTonyB

I have taught but I am not a registered school teacher
Not something the Lord has been calling me to do ...classroom teachers need LOUD voices to reprimand their naughty children lol and I dont have that.

also, then I would be doing two jobs at once and that wouldnt be fair because a librarian needs to be a dedicated librarian not a teacher (and police) as well and then do half a job
I already work in schools so I know how it works
Was just wondering if you had an inkling to do it. All that knowledge you take in with your reading needs an out, and I suspect that is where CC and similar forums come into play, as well as advising the billy lids the best read for a topic. Do you belong to book clubs and the like?

C

ChristianTonyB

librarians already do most everything else to support children and teachers the only thing is if we are paid enough and recongnised for the work we do

rather than people saying oh that job is just a hobby or something you volunteer to do. Its so important to have access to books
In the early days of IT in the classrooms, the TLs were often also called upon to be the computer support technicians as well. They were often the last of the staff to leave the school. This changed overtime when the boffins realised there was more to computing than simply dropping a white or black box on a desk, and they set aside money for dedicated computing support.

Hazelelponi

Jul 8, 2019
USA
Lifetime hobby is photography, and also I got into Photoshop and photo manipulation (as art)... I have completely stopped now because of cataracts, and will return once I have eye surgery.

Cooking/Baking is my first love, my happy place. :)

I do themed baked goods gift baskets during the holidays, and find any old excuse I can to cook or bake for others since I like cooking more than I can do the eating.

My husband has nick named me "Betty" ( for Betty Crocker) and those nearby may not know my name, but they know my cooking - I'm known as "the bread lady" to those who don't really know me well.. Lol.

I'm kinda boring I guess.

Willow

Oct 10, 2021
ohio
Being a pillion on motorcycle requires much courage IMO. I've done it a couple of times and it was scary, and realised I lack courage to do that again! Much less stressful having hands on the handlebar. Do you still ride the Moped?
Actually sold it. It was for my son, but he found it too much for him to handle. He has aspergers and it had a tad too much speed for him.
But find it kind of funny he loves roller coasters,lol.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Was just wondering if you had an inkling to do it. All that knowledge you take in with your reading needs an out, and I suspect that is where CC and similar forums come into play, as well as advising the billy lids the best read for a topic. Do you belong to book clubs and the like?
I create my own book clubs at school and train children to be library monitors.

Otherwise, just read for fun. Gardening is my other hobby and I have done podcasts on both books and gardening, write blogs etc.

I taught Bible in schools for a time

If you want to read aloud and be recorded most publishers require that you have some kind of voice training or drama background.
it isnt that people necessarily want to hear what I personally like to read. But if a child wants me to read with them thats what I am there for. A school teacher doesnt have time to do that. They need to keep up to thirty children or more under control and learning the same thing

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
In the early days of IT in the classrooms, the TLs were often also called upon to be the computer support technicians as well. They were often the last of the staff to leave the school. This changed overtime when the boffins realised there was more to computing than simply dropping a white or black box on a desk, and they set aside money for dedicated computing support.
yea is not the librarians job to issue your calculators and troubleshoot them when they dont work. Get IT techies to do that. we have an IT person on call and I asked him to put the library webpage which I adminster bookmarked on all the chromebooks ready to go, and on the ipads, but today he said ah no the license has expired so we cant put the apps on the ipads until they are renewed, which they should have done in the holidays. IT is a separate department.

Decades ago I was pushing for websites to be user friendly and updated but the older ones in library management were very slow to catch on how it would work for people, and they didnt have the money to invest in it. But now it has improved and got to the stage where its more accessible than it was before.

with e-books some of the lending models for that really hurt readers when it shouldnt. Thats why its investing in print books first is always better, you are not going to lose them in the ether when things expire or only reach a digital crowd.