Holding the church to a higher standard

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JFSurvivor

Jan 20, 2015
So I have heard SO many times "the church is full of broken people." Ok I GET IT!! Yes that's true but so is the world. Shouldn't the church be holding herself to a higher standard than this?? What do you think? Am I wrong for thinking this?

Apr 8, 2015
So I have heard SO many times "the church is full of broken people." Ok I GET IT!! Yes that's true but so is the world. Shouldn't the church be holding herself to a higher standard than this?? What do you think? Am I wrong for thinking this?
I'm not sure what u mean sis - Can you expand a little?

JFSurvivor

Jan 20, 2015
I'm not sure what u mean sis - Can you expand a little?
"the church is full of broken people" has been used as an excuse for Christians to hurt me. It's like ok the church is broken but so is the world. We should be better than this. We should be better than the world so we can help the world. Make sense now?

Jesus4ever

May 18, 2015
Well, here´s my though: Every church is composed of men and women. Like it´s expected, we are all sinners and yes, there are many broken hearts there, but still, the church is very important. It´s our family in Christ, where you praise Him, hear and receive His Word, where we study His Word, where we renew our faith and strengths, where we offer the Lord the gifts He gave us, where we have pure joy, where we feel sad, where we laugh, where we cry, where you help our brothers and sisters, where you receive comfort and help from our brothers.

Now, in spite of this, we are all sinners, even pastors, and so, it´s natural for each church to have some problems, but still, it´s incredibly important! So, dear sister, do not let allow others to hurt you pointing those type of things. What´s important is how you love your brothers and sisters and how you serve the Lord in your church!

God bless you!

JFSurvivor

Jan 20, 2015
Well, here´s my though: Every church is composed of men and women. Like it´s expected, we are all sinners and yes, there are many broken hearts there, but still, the church is very important. It´s our family in Christ, where you praise Him, hear and receive His Word, where we study His Word, where we renew our faith and strengths, where we offer the Lord the gifts He gave us, where we have pure joy, where we feel sad, where we laugh, where we cry, where you help our brothers and sisters, where you receive comfort and help from our brothers.

Now, in spite of this, we are all sinners, even pastors, and so, it´s natural for each church to have some problems, but still, it´s incredibly important! So, dear sister, do not let allow others to hurt you pointing those type of things. What´s important is how you love your brothers and sisters and how you serve the Lord in your church!

God bless you!
The part I highlighted in red has NOT been my experience AT ALL. The only place I have seen this done is at my current church. Other than that it's like you're not allowed to be sad because if you're sad you don't have enough faith and something must be wrong with you. If you cry, people get uncomfortable, pat you on the back and run away. Help and comfort?? ppppfffftttt we must be talking about different churches. lol

Do you see what I am getting at?

I understand it is important to focus on serving and loving people but 9 times out of ten people in the church don't allow me to love them because we never talk about anything important. "oh how's the weather?" "Did you like the sermon?" See?

You look at the world and people of the world are so consumed with themselves they can't see past themselves to love others and I am so afraid the church is the same way. :'( All talk but no action.

Jesus4ever

May 18, 2015
The part I highlighted in red has NOT been my experience AT ALL. The only place I have seen this done is at my current church. Other than that it's like you're not allowed to be sad because if you're sad you don't have enough faith and something must be wrong with you. If you cry, people get uncomfortable, pat you on the back and run away. Help and comfort?? ppppfffftttt we must be talking about different churches. lol

I understand it is important to focus on serving and loving people but 9 times out of ten people in the church don't allow me to love them because we never talk about anything important. "oh how's the weather?" "Did you like the sermon?" See?

You look at the world and people of the world are so consumed with themselves they can't see past themselves to love others and I am so afraid the church is the same way. :'( All talk but no action.

Well, it seems that in have what I wrote in your current church, so that´s a proof that it really happens. :)

Church are different from another. From what I know (and I don´t want to make any kind of accusation, please note) and from my experience, the kind of behaviors you complain about are close to the Catholic Church. However, there are so many protestant, evangelical, pentecostal, etc churchs that you may find different behaviors.

kodiak

Mar 8, 2015

Sadly some Churches can be like this. Not everyone who goes to church is saved. We are called to live in the world, but not be of it and to help others. I went to a Christian school, where I was bullied for being a Christian. We are supposed to be set apart from the world. If our fruit is not showing, we are likely not following Christ and the world sees that we are either not really Christian or hypocrites. Sadly I hear hypocrites describes Christians more often than not. I think the Church needs to be revived.

JFSurvivor

Jan 20, 2015
Well, it seems that in have what I wrote in your current church, so that´s a proof that it really happens. :)

Church are different from another. From what I know (and I don´t want to make any kind of accusation, please note) and from my experience, the kind of behaviors you complain about are close to the Catholic Church. However, there are so many protestant, evangelical, pentecostal, etc churchs that you may find different behaviors.
What I am complaining about happened at all different kinds of churches, not just catholic.

S

Sirk

I've said this before but the secret to having the joy that God has promised you is having high hopes and low expectations....for church people or worldly people.

P

psalm6819

Our higher standard should be love, that we love when the world does not love that encourages and actively helps.

Jesus4ever

May 18, 2015
What I am complaining about happened at all different kinds of churches, not just catholic.

I see. But like I said, that are too many churches, so I believe that ends up happening.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
Churches are still made up of people. And christian people will have the same flaws as normal people. Getting saved doesn't suddenly make people the most caring or understanding people in the world. You have said before you struggle with social anxiety. There isn't anything inherently wrong by that, but you need to realize a lot of people aren't going to know how to deal with that on an individual level.

Misty77

Aug 30, 2013
Both are true, but you are right that we can't hold one truth higher than the other. If we focus on our brokenness, then a lot of bad things get excused. If we focus on our higher standards, then we try to cover up our brokenness and pretend the bad things don't exist. We need to allow the Holy Spirit to empower us to live holy lives, but be transparent and honest in apologizing for our sins and accepting whatever legal or physical consequences may come of it.

Feb 7, 2015
"the church is full of broken people" has been used as an excuse for Christians to hurt me. It's like ok the church is broken but so is the world. We should be better than this. We should be better than the world so we can help the world. Make sense now?
Do we need to be "better" than someone to help them? If we are forever to be "nothing", we can still always do something for someone.

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015

Jesus commands believers:

Ro 15:5
7 Wherefore receive ye one another, as Christ also received us to the glory of God.
KJV

Ro 15:14
14 And I myself also am persuaded of you, my brethren, that ye also are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, able also to admonish one another.
KJV

Gal 5:13-14
13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.
14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
KJV

Eph 4:1-3
I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
KJV

Eph 4:32
32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.
KJV

1 Th 5:9-11
9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,
10 Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.
11 Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.
KJV

Heb 10:24-25
24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:
25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
KJV

Gal 6:2
2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.
KJV

Many of these ministries to one another require a level of intimacy that our society tends to discourage.

Even those of us who are willing to open ourselves to each other find it difficult to spend enough time together to develop real intimacy. (Intimacy is making one's self vulnerable with an expectation of safety; and has nothing inherently connected with sexuality.)

Many Churches would be willing to hold themselves to a higher standard; but have difficulty finding ways to consistently spend intimate time together.

Pilkington

Jan 13, 2015

In part it may depend on the size of the church, the larger the church the harder it can be for people to be open and vonurable and share openly about things ie when there sad etc. Sometimes it takes time to develop the depth of relationships where you can be truly say where you are it. I think at times small groups can help. I am fortunate to attend a fellowship where over the last ten years I have developed a real depth in my relationships with my brothers and sisters in Christ. The other issue is when you make yourself vonurable there is a risk of getting hurt and it does happen from time to time but it is well worth it. Certain people I can be totally honest with and even tell them when they have hurt me and acknowledge when I hurt them. I have received prayer and support, had arguments with people, and given others support. When my husband was seriously ill in hospital it was the one place I felt truly safe and could be open and honest. I believe the only reason my husband is still here and his health is stable is down to the congregations prayers.

Finally we can never tell how far someone has come in there faith journey or what they would have been like if they had not come to saving faith. We all still have rough edges which need to be smoothed off