Horoscopes and the Babysitter

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

Lexlee

So your view is that, despite it being forbidden in the bible, it is still of God. That the alignment of the stars in the sky dictates what kind of person we will be, what kinds of choices we should make and generally over the affairs of the world, despite it being forbidden in the bible.

The issue i have with this idea that there is any validity in it is that the concept is flawed from the beginning. The stars are not really in different places. The earth is spinning and orbiting, and the gives the illusion that the stars around us are shifting. But in reality nothing is really changing, not in the way astrology implies. So, by the very nature of the idea, it disproves itself from the start.

And taking on an idea that this is a Godly thing, yet He forbids us of having knowledge of... actually calls an 'abomination' (defined as 'extreme disgust and hatred). But this thing He forbids and refers to as causing Him disgust and hatred over it, came from Him? Is rooted in Him? I should think that anything that causes God 'disgust and hatred' toward it is not something that stems from Him at all.
I think it is an abomination to God for us to look into things that have been hidden from us. Astrology = study of the stars = an abomination. I never claim to be right and I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. Perhaps my logic is flawed and it is a fanciful idea. It is just an idea I had that God, who has shown to use mathematics in so many things is equally able to mathematically allocate us gifts, personalities and even events in our life and this could be done using the universe placement of astral objects. It doesn't impact our free will or God's ability to work in our lives independently. The prohibitions against studying it indicate that it is something only for God to know and not us to enquire after.

I shared my idea to see if there is anyone else who also independently came up with a similar idea.

M

mystikmind

I think it is an abomination to God for us to look into things that have been hidden from us. Astrology = study of the stars = an abomination. I never claim to be right and I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. Perhaps my logic is flawed and it is a fanciful idea. It is just an idea I had that God, who has shown to use mathematics in so many things is equally able to mathematically allocate us gifts, personalities and even events in our life and this could be done using the universe placement of astral objects. It doesn't impact our free will or God's ability to work in our lives independently. The prohibitions against studying it indicate that it is something only for God to know and not us to enquire after.

I shared my idea to see if there is anyone else who also independently came up with a similar idea.
I read your earlier post, i thought it was interesting but don't know any reason why it could be possible.

The stars have been a thing of mystery to mankind right up to the modern age, so humans have had thousands of years to imagine all kinds of things relating to stars, so the fact that Astrology exists is no surprise to me at all.

F

firstaider_2010

Hi Jinnay
Is your babysitter a Christian? To me, horoscopes are a no no- the Bible says so.
best wishes
firstaider.

M

Miri

One or two people seem to be getting confused with astronomy which is a science
and involves the study of the stairs, planets, galaxy etc. Nothing wrong with
studying God's creation.

Then there is astrology (which is straying into the realms of the occult),
trying to predict to the future, the characteristics of a person etc.

Personally I want what God has planned, rather than what a complete stranger
who does not know me, believes in.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Yea whats makes it hard is the babysitter is my neighbor and sister in law;/ I have made arrangements to not have her watch my kids anymore but I just wanted to get some opinions on the matter. Thanks!
Give her another chance.

May 3, 2013
And, if a star or planet should be guessed (or asked) to know "what God has planned" for me each day, I would feel very frustrated and often depressed. The Bible is not talking to me daily but, the 10 commandments are a general rule for me to know how to behave and what to do.

May 3, 2013
Of course not! I know a lot of believers who read them "for fun", but that on them. If you went to her and told her how you felt, then she should respect it and not do it. She sounds childish to me.....don't worry, follow your heart and stand your ground...In which you did! :)
That´s it, for fun... Some also used the oija and tried with darker things "for fun", getting more involved in the occultic.

May 3, 2013
If she is babysitting for you she is your employee and should abide by your rules. She had no right to teach your child about something without your permission. And because of her attitude I would not have her babysit anymore anyways.

In the matter of horoscopes being right or wrong, yes they are very wrong! Read Isaiah 37:13-15...

All the counsel you have received has only worn you out!
Let your astrologers come forward,
those stargazers who make predictions month by month,
let them save you from what is coming upon you.
14 Surely they are like stubble;
the fire will burn them up.
They cannot even save themselves
from the power of the flame.
These are not coals for warmth;
this is not a fire to sit by.
15 That is all they are to you—
these you have dealt with
and labored with since childhood.
All of them go on in their error;
there is not one that can save you.
Maybe you´re right... (...has only worn you out!)

She wrote: "...she got very upset with me and still is giving me the silent treatment. AM I wrong?...
the babysitter is my neighbor and sister in law;"

So she´s dealing with embarassing things :(

S

sassylady

Your home, your rules. I don't much care what somebody thinks when it comes to my children. They are your first obligation over other people.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
I'm not defending Astrology, but what appears in my view to be partly an illogical statement don't assist credibility. I could be wrong but you appear to be saying human beings are physically incapable of inventing anything spiritual on their own?
Humans cannot create anything spiritual. They can create, in their own minds, something that is a false spirituality. So sure you can add that to the list. But whether it is human sourced or satanic sourced, it's still not God sourced. And either way, God still repeatedly says not to do it.

One or two people seem to be getting confused with astronomy which is a science
and involves the study of the stairs, planets, galaxy etc. Nothing wrong with
studying God's creation.
Very true, there's nothing wrong with the science of astronomy, as long as it doesn't impinge upon seeking and following God for guidance.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
While I agree it's your home and your rules, astrology for the most part is nothing but a harmless blurb in on a newspaper page. Anyone who does more than read them for fun is being foolish.

M

mystikmind

While I agree it's your home and your rules, astrology for the most part is nothing but a harmless blurb in on a newspaper page. Anyone who does more than read them for fun is being foolish.
True, but in consideration of the OP's situation, children can be far more impressionable, making Astrology potentially much more dangerous for them than it would be for a grown adult. Actually, this is a very good point the OP could raise with the baby sitter in order to help ease the situation.

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
So yesterday after working a long day at work I came home to my 10 year old daughter super excited about Horoscopes.
Apparently the babysitter (who says she is a believer) took it upon herself to teach my 10 yr old about Astrology and how it tells the future and she should read hers everyday. This really upset me because 1- I believe in God and I believe astrology is evil. 2- she is only 10.
When I asked her to not show my daughter those things she got very upset with me and still is giving me the silent treatment. AM I wrong? Do you believe horoscopes are bad? If you dont, why dont you?
I suggest you find another babysitter who will respect your wishes. She has no reason to be upset.

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
Jn 16:13-14

13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

KJV

When any body or any thing represents mimself/herself/itself as usurping the role that God has delegated to the Holy Spirit it is evil because it is idolatry!

Idolatry is looking to someone or something other God for that which God says is His role to provide!

Jesus4ever

May 18, 2015
Well, Astrology is pure nonsense to me. Has zero validity. I does bother me, however, to see so many people (and some Christians) to go for it and give it credit so easily. Astronomy, in the other hand is an important science. But, Astrology is no more that fairy tale to me. However, what it represents it´s wrong to God´s eyes, I believe. Wanting to know the future is the same as not trusting and having faith in the Lord.

So, yes, I would also be upset in your situation and I would act if she would talk about that again. Her behavior after having heard what you told here is also a bad sign.

I hope you find the right thing to do!

Descyple

Jun 7, 2010
So yesterday after working a long day at work I came home to my 10 year old daughter super excited about Horoscopes.
Apparently the babysitter (who says she is a believer) took it upon herself to teach my 10 yr old about Astrology and how it tells the future and she should read hers everyday. This really upset me because 1- I believe in God and I believe astrology is evil. 2- she is only 10.
When I asked her to not show my daughter those things she got very upset with me and still is giving me the silent treatment. AM I wrong? Do you believe horoscopes are bad? If you dont, why dont you?
Greetings Jinnay.

I found the following video to be extremely helpful to understand the nature of astrology, and if it can be compatible with Christianity. The discussion is between two astrologers (Maxine Taylor and Terry Warneke) and three people against astrology (Christian apologists Walter Martin and John Weldon, as well as ex-astrologer Karen Winterburn).

In my personal opinion, the "against astrology" side wins this debate convincingly. I hope the video can help you.

[video=youtube;Ziej0JlDZN4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ziej0JlDZN4[/video]

presidente

May 29, 2013
Show her Deuteronomy 18 and show her that divination is bad. Is it Acts 19:19 where they burn the occultic books? Anyway, this is an opportunity for you to teach her, especially if she claims to be a believer. It doesn't just have to be about you getting on her case for how she talks to your daughter.