How did Jonah survive while he was preaching?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

seekingfirst

I just thought about how Jonah paid a fare to get on the ship, and then he probably didn't have money while he was in the whale? So I was wondering how he ate while he was preaching?
I know this is an odd question but I was just wondering.
I also wonder how the rest of the prophets paid for their lives.
Thanks.

P

Persuaded

I just thought about how Jonah paid a fare to get on the ship, and then he probably didn't have money while he was in the whale? So I was wondering how he ate while he was preaching?
Thanks.
Well, according to some posters, If Jonah and the others did not have a job, they were sinning and stealing from the widows and the poor.:confused:

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014
Thanks.
I think back then if a person thought someone was a prophet, sent from God, you'd give them food or lodging, whatnot.

Elijah stayed with a widow sometimes.

the ninivites thought jonah was a prophet, they passed his words to the king, they repented.

I would love to have heard him preach.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
They foraged off the land. In Israel they could eat the grain along the corners of the fields. They as John was portrayed ate locusts and honey.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Jan 7, 2015
All God's critters don't have jobs, and money to secure food, but yet the Lord provides for them. Why would God not provide for His anointed prophets as well?

Matthew 6:25-29 "Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?[SUP]26 [/SUP]Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
[SUP]27 [/SUP]Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
[SUP]28 [/SUP]And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
[SUP]29 [/SUP]And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these."

Yonah

Oct 31, 2014
I see it this way: the Father sent him to give a message as he did others, he is aware of the needs and being the creator of all things it is a small thing for Him to provide the basic needs of food clothing and shelter... it is not recorded exactly how he chose to do this for Jonah, but it is for Elijah,(1 kings 17:4) ravens fed him for a season..... so I think if we as believers are called to share the good news (and we are) all we need will be provided as well (matt. 6:33)

T

thepsalmist

I always thought this was pretty cool ...

1 KINGS 17:2-4

Then the word of the Lord came to Elijah: “Leave here, turn eastward and hide in the Kerith Ravine, east of the Jordan. You will drink from the brook, and I have directed the ravens to supply you with food there.”

Nov 22, 2015
All God's critters don't have jobs, and money to secure food, but yet the Lord provides for them. Why would God not provide for His anointed prophets as well?

Matthew 6:25-29 "Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?[SUP]26 [/SUP]Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
[SUP]27 [/SUP]Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
[SUP]28 [/SUP]And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
[SUP]29 [/SUP]And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these."
Amen...in context Jesus was talking to the thousands of people listening to Him talk so this truth applies to all people everywhere that trust in God. He is faithful!

Feb 11, 2016
I always thought this was pretty cool ...

1 KINGS 17:2-4

Then the word of the Lord came to Elijah: “Leave here, turn eastward and hide in the Kerith Ravine, east of the Jordan. You will drink from the brook, and I have directed the ravens to supply you with food there.”
He commanded a widow to take care of him too

1 Kings 17:9 Arise, get thee to Zarephath, which belongeth to Zidon, and dwell there: behold, I have commanded a widow woman there to sustain thee.

What is interesting here is that he commanded a widow (no husband) with a child and a handful of meal and a little oil to feed a prophet (strong able man)

You would think he would send his prophet to someone with an underground bunker with a years supply of food huh?

Birds and widows feeding his prophets.

Obadiah hiding and feeding 100 of his prophets by fifty in a cave would probably be the closest thing to the whole under ground bunker thing 1 Kings 18:4, 13