How do I know if God is talking to me?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

PinkFlowers

I am at a particularly confusing moment in life, and I feel like I have heard God tell me various things that could solidify certain very life changing decisions. But I just get worried that it isn't the voice of God I have heard. I am just worried that I will make the wrong decision based on what I thought God was telling me. Do you guys have any advice on how to know when it's God talking to you? How can I tell if it's really Him?

T

TheMoves

For me, it usually hits me all of a sudden. When it does, I have no doubt it's God talking to me. I can feel it. Not sure if that helps, but that's how it's been for me. Keep praying and God will answer.

R

Roughsoul

Hey PinkFlowers,

I know when God talks to me a lot of times he places what I need to do in my mind like I have a motion to do something. But then when I start walking that path I pray for a sign of some sort to know if I am going in the right direction. He never fails to show me if I am making the right choices. For me its simple because when I get the idea in mind I make the choice to go down that road and I keep my eyes open for spiritual signs. Ill explain how God changed a idea I had one time. I had the idea to join in the military so I started my way down that path. And I had 4 years of NJROTC so it would of gotten me a few higher ranks. But I was not sure if this was the path he wanted me to go. So I prayed for a sign. Well the sign he gave me was def something that changed my course. I was in a severe car accident. But I lived and it changed my life, gave me a different view you know life is short.

Make a long story short I now am happy where I am at in life except for the nerve pain the wreck left me but I am still trying to figure out what God has in mind with that problem. Also it seems when you start making the right choices he sends mini blessings your way. And if your making the wrong choice well he can find ways to direct you hopefully not as bad as a wreck. Most the time it will be minor alarms that go off in your head saying maybe this is the wrong choice.

He has also worked threw others to change my life. I couldn't tell you how many times someone in my life randomly moved me in the right direction and they may not even knew it. God just works in many ways.

So I believe in less you have the spiritual gift of hearing God then he talks to us in different ways. Threw the holy spirit may give you strong urges to do something that needs to be done. Threw prayer like I said he can give you spiritual signs. You just got to keep your eyes open for them. And mini blessings can tend to prove your heading down the right path.

This is how I work threw life it may be different for you or some one else may have a different way God talks to them. But the whole point to my post if to give you a few ideas. Hope this helps.

Roughsoul.

S

stace

This has been one of the toughest things for me to deal with as well. I grew up in a Christian home, but my parents would could never give me any helpful advice. What i have learned from trying and taking advice from others is that, everyone is different. what works for me may not work for you. I have made many mistakes in my life and when i look back on them i remember knowing exactly what i was about to get myself into. Usually i chose to take the path that seemed better or easier, but in all honesty i knew it wasn't the one for me. If you open your heart and your mind to any option (within reason) and sit on it for awhile and ask God for guidance, then you will know what to do. When you have made the right decision you will have peace in your heart. And please listen to that peace because going against God's will can lead to a mess, even if it looks enticing or promising.

M

MooseAura

Like @TheMoves said, When God speaks to me, there is NO DOUBT it's Him speaking. I know that if you're wanting to find God's will for you and make the right decisions in life according to Him, you've got to read your Bible. Reading your Bible will bring you closer to God and you will hear His voice more and see more clearly what choices you ought to make.

Pray and read His Word is my advice friend!! I'll be praying for you!

Your friend,
Moose.

Jan 24, 2009
I am at a particularly confusing moment in life, and I feel like I have heard God tell me various things that could solidify certain very life changing decisions. But I just get worried that it isn't the voice of God I have heard. I am just worried that I will make the wrong decision based on what I thought God was telling me. Do you guys have any advice on how to know when it's God talking to you? How can I tell if it's really Him?
If what you hear seems to contradict Scripture or is overall inconsistent, it's likely not God speaking.

This, then, is one very good reason why it's important for us to read our Bible frequently and consistently.

Having solid and mature Christian brothers/sisters also can be very helpful when these times arise.

:)