How do I see guidance from God?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

jamie26301

May 14, 2011
Hi. Without getting into much detail, I'm confused as to how I should choose my career path. I just got married recently, and I want to contribute fiancially and be able to afford some more things and be able to save. I just finished my third year of college - but with no progression towards a degree, other than English. I have a ton of English credits, but I don't know what to do with an English major (I don't want to teach.) I've changed my major twice, now I'm undecided. And right now, I'm limited to two nearby colleges that I don't know will have the degree I ultimately decide on. So, my question is, how can I petition God to show me what a fulfilling career would be for me? How has God guided you in the past, and helped you come to a decision?

penknight

Jan 6, 2014
Usually when I ask God for something, I have to come to an understanding before I receive it.

V

valtafjoe

God gave you free will and you should use it. Any career can be fulfilling all you have to do is enjoy it. You have to pick a career that you actually like. What do you wanna do? I am sure you have done job research. When you know what you wanna do then you can pray to god asking him to bless you in your chosen career. That`s what I did

jb

Feb 27, 2010
... How has God guided you in the past, and helped you come to a decision?
You can find a short study Here on seeking and receiving guidance that you should find helpful...

Yahweh Shalom...

jamie26301

May 14, 2011
Thanks valtafjoe. What do you do for a living? And yes, I have done a little bit of research.

Thanks jb, I'll look at it shortly. :)

jamie26301

May 14, 2011
What do you mean by understanding? You mean about the intended request to God, or an understanding about any area of your walk with Him?

penknight

Jan 6, 2014
I mean the request. For example, if a asked for a house in Miami, I would only receive an answer from God after I had thought about it thoroughly (the pros and cons, and how it will affect God's plan for me). Then God answers my prayers according to His will, which means that I may get a new house, but it may be in Toronto instead of Miami.

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
God gave you free will and you should use it. Any career can be fulfilling all you have to do is enjoy it. You have to pick a career that you actually like. What do you wanna do? I am sure you have done job research. When you know what you wanna do then you can pray to god asking him to bless you in your chosen career. That`s what I did
I should also add that some things are fun to do but horrible for careers. Unfortunately I don't have a lot that is fun that would still be fun as a career. I tried programming. I tried creative writing. Both would be horrible as jobs, but they're great as hobbies. But I like the possibility of using a language. So I chose to be an interpreter or translator. But preparation and execution are both pretty difficult for it, too, sometimes. And it's been a struggle.

jamie26301

May 14, 2011
Yeah, you're right. I like writing too. But, to make a living at it, takes a very talented writer and a bit of luck.

I love reading and figuring out Scripture. I've thought of seminary. But, I don't really have the leadership qualities to be a pastor. So, I would wonder what other options are available for me, with a seminary degree. The only disadvantage is if I want to go to seminary, I'd have to move.

SweetShelly35

Feb 21, 2012
Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.

Just get down on your knees dear and talk to Him. He is listening, I promise you.

Shelly xo

V

valtafjoe

Thanks valtafjoe. What do you do for a living? And yes, I have done a little bit of research.

Thanks jb, I'll look at it shortly. :)
I work as a nurse. I find it fulfillig. Wish you all the best in your endeavours