How do you guys deal with anxiety?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

gardenbunny

So, I just switched to a different shift at work, new people, new area, new everything. Bring on the anxiety. I thought I was fine starting out. Tuesday was great, no problems. Went by really fast, love my new managers.
Then while I was work wednesday I just got hit really hard with panic attacks. I had to leave early. It depends on how bad the panic attack is for how long it takes for me to recover. Some I just need a few hours to calm down and regroup, others I need a few days. This one was pretty bad. I realized I wasn't going to being seeing my guys(the ones I used to work with on nights) anymore. And the laid back atmosphere and everyone was friends with everyone(and I hate to say this, but everyone spoke english, even if it was dirty sometimes).
Now, I know very few people, none of the know my anxiety situation, so I can't just talk to someone to calm myself down(on my old shift all I had to do was talk to one of the guys and they'd have me laughing and forgetting all about it in no time). Half of the people on this new shift speak spanish, so sometimes I wonder if they even understand half of what I am saying(I'm a fast talker).
Anyways, for sleeping it off helps tremendously, but I can't sleep at work. There is one particular person that I made friends with really easily since I already knew him from when I was helping out on the weekend shift a few months ago and he also transferred to this new shift, so that has helped just talking to him about whatever.
I was just wondering what I can do in the moment to stop the attack(nauseousness, dizzy, everything spiraling out of control, sweating, hard to breath, etc.) without having to leave work. I've tried praying, and I know with God everything is possible, but sometimes I need help NOW. Xanax takes time to kick in and I don't have time to wait for it.

Any suggestions, or your own experiences would be most appreciated, I'm at the point where I'm not sure what to do anymore. Thanks. <3

Aug 29, 2012
When I am hit with a stressful situation I say a quiet prayer for strength and keep at it.
When I am hit with fear I say a quiet prayer for wisdom, so i will know when to run.
When I am hit with anxiety, I take a break as soon as possible and get a snack in me, maybe talk with someone else!

my job is sort of boring but can be extremely high stress.....

K

kenisyes

Could it be the schedule change? I have always been like that when my sleep gets interrupted. It takes me more than a week just to get my body reset for the twice a year daylight savings time change. Unless God heals that, you should ask Him about a different career.

PopClick

Aug 12, 2011
First off, I know this is kind of an easy answer. But you really can tell God what's stressing you out, and talk to Him throughout the day, just like you'd talk to your best friend. He wants you to "give" Him all of your problems and worries.

To be honest, it seems like every time I've gotten into a habit of going to something or someone else to calm me down or cheer me up, the something else gets taken away. I hope some of these verses help you out, though:

1 Peter 5:7 ~ "casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you."

Philippians 4:6-7 ~ "do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Matthew 6:34 ~ &#8220;Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself.

Isaiah 26:3 ~ "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee."

Jilly81

Jan 16, 2011
GardenBunny, the verse that immediately came to mind was "Thou dost keep him* in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee, because he trusts in Thee", which is Isaiah 26:3 :). I know it really helps me to stay calm to take a deep breath and remind myself that God is in control and that panicking won't help anything anyway (I know, sometimes it doesn't help at all to say that to yourself :S). I sometimes remind myself that any struggles are a chance to ask God for help and do my best to please Him and to ask Him how He wants me to handle the situation, thus growing in Him. A lot of people listen to praise music on their ipod while working, though I realize that your job may not allow that. This post may help; it was in a thread that I don't think you saw. There are other posts in the same thread that have nicknames that people gave you, but I thought that this one is the most relevant to the issue you're facing right now :). -----> http://christianchat.com/christian-singles-forum/44082-switcheroo-5.html#post746241

*or her :)

GodssSon

Apr 29, 2012
I had extreme panic attacks before that really messed up some years of my life! It was really bad. I really didn't know what to do. Like you, I tried praying and it just seemed like nothing would work. It wasn't until I really started dedicating my heart/mind to knowing God's word more and more that I was able to overcome my panic attacks more often. Our mind is powerful and when we are thinking on the right things -- God, then everything else sort of fades out...including the anxiety/panic attacks. It's a good thing to start your day out having your mind on God, and Jilly81 pointed out, God will keep you in perfect peace (Isaiah 26:3). When you start to panic, it's good to stop for one second, put your thoughts into perspective and remember that God is right there with you and he's the only thing that matters. It's not just words, but reality, because he said so and he doesn't lie. Fill your mind up with scriptures and think upon those things =) It has totally changed my life and I know it will for you as well. I'm praying for you :)

G

gardenbunny

Oh my gosh!!! I LOVE all of these replies. I have a job where I can listen to my ipod. I just recently put over 200 songs that were religion based(and it works) I also got on the podcasts and found a bunch of christian based themes to listen to.
Jilly81- thanks for pointing that name thing out. I always knew that greenNnice called me gardenhopper(love it). It just made me laugh! Thanks again!

I just have to say I freakin' love this website. Everyone is so amazing! :)

Oct 31, 2011
I often think in pictures. I put God all around me, like a beam of light. I see God as light both spiritual and physical light, as all His scripture as one unit, as what operates our universe, as the power of love and all these things are in this picture I have that I put all around me.