How do you know the understanding/revelation you get is from GOD?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

my_adonai_

Mar 19, 2012
Please share with me your views on the subject.

Usually the Lord would give me Peace on the revelation i get from reading HIS word

Php 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

and JOY aswell.

1Pet 1:8 Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:

What about you?

P

Powemm

Well .. Im not well versed in the bible at all.. I can only tell you a few addresses even.. He brings a picture .. and a whisper neither make or female .. With a few words .. I was scared to death when this feat happened .. I thought I had had a stroke or I was loosing my mind .. I spent days before telling anyone .. And instead started digging .. asked pastors , people in church .. I was really frightened .. no one would talk to me about it .. Except for one man and his wife .. I began spending time at their house , they took me right in , they sheltered me many nights until 1-2 am talking about God .. And confirming sine things .. He came down with testicular cancer and that eventually slowed down .. I went to the net because it was like the answer hadn't come .. spent hours and hours looking and reading when I Stumbled onto Cc.. I had never been part of a community among believers .. So I put questions out when a member here contacted me.. I shared what came and he began pointing to scripture for me to read .. Everything has blossomed from there .. awake dreams come .. I now go to scripture with key words .. it all opens up from there .. Scripture matches up exactly with what is shown ..

P

Powemm

I am lead by God , to His word .. If the slightest thing is off I discount what was brought.. It has to match up perfectly for me to except that it's from God .. so far .. Everything has been 100% right on the mark ..

M

MaggieMye

You can know by holding it up to His written word; not that it will match it, but that it does not go against it. As for 'words of prohpecy'? ALWAYS and I mean A L W A Y S ask for confirmation ....by means of a dream, a word of knowledge from a seasoned Christian or any way that will get your attention...especially when you are NOT looking for it.

Maggie

my_adonai_

Mar 19, 2012
great points. Test every spirit.

Oct 31, 2011
This is so very important. You have given good ways to test God, but we are given additional ones. Most of them stem from study, study, and study God's word and listen to Him. We are not only to test our understanding, but test what other people tell us about God, too.

We are told how to test. Even on this wonderful Christian site, we have people who are working against the kingdom of God, even here we must test them. Scripture gives us things to look for, and it tells us that there will be many false prophets in the last days. When someone tells us mostly about what men say, either to condemn or say it is right, they probably are people who study and follow men, not God.

False prophets always follow men. In the 2,000 years since Christ we have had many men who tell us to follow them to Christ. We are to follow scripture to Christ, not men. Men have even invented a lot of fancy words to use, so it makes us sound knowledgeable and intelligent.

During the age of the enlightenment, we were to use logic only in our thinking, yet God said we were to become as a child and simply learn what our Father taught. When we learn from our logic we must be careful, it is God's word we are to learn from.

A sure way to test the spirits is through love. God created us in love, His goal is for us to live with Him eternally and to have abundance in every way. Even in the OT, God instructed His chosen people to be kind to the "stranger among you". We are told to love our enemies, too. When people express what they believe through hate of others, we know it is through the devil they speak, not God.

John 13:35 " By this all people will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

A

Ariel82

James 3
[h=3][/h][SUP]13 [/SUP]Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show by good conduct that his works are done in the meekness of wisdom. [SUP]14 [/SUP]But if you have bitter envy and self-seeking in your hearts, do not boast and lie against the truth. [SUP]15 [/SUP]This wisdom does not descend from above, but is earthly, sensual, demonic. [SUP]16 [/SUP]For where envy and self-seeking exist, confusion and every evil thing are there. [SUP]17 [/SUP]But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy. [SUP]18 [/SUP]Now the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.

zone

Jun 13, 2010

Usually the Lord would give me Peace on the revelation i get from reading HIS word

Php 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

and JOY aswell.

1Pet 1:8 Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:

What about you?
agree........:)

Apr 15, 2013

and JOY aswell.

What about you?
You know it's from God, whenever you know it's from God and it gives you peace which suprasses all understanding. You answered your own questions.

If it isn't from God, then you won't KNOW it's from God, therefore you'll know it isn't; at least not the 'ultimate peace' kind.

R

richie_2uk

Roman 8: 11. " But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you."

It's the spirit in you, that will tell you and show you what is real, and what is right. Its the spirit in you that give your the real understanding according to God's will.

R

richie_2uk

My apologies I posted the wrong verse, But here are a few verse that I hope will help.

Psalm 119:130 The unfolding of your words gives light; it imparts understanding to the simple.

Proverbs 17:27 Whoever restrains his words has knowledge, and he who has a cool spirit is a man of understanding.

Proverbs 2:2-5 Making your ear attentive to wisdom and inclining your heart to understanding; yes, if you call out for insight and raise your voice for understanding, if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find the knowledge of God.

Cee

May 14, 2010
I love these answers.

I have found I can always support what He is saying with some Scripture. It doesn't mean everything He tells us is Scripture, but that He doesn't contradict it. Also, I ALWAYS look for the love in it. Love God, Love People. That's my filter. Also, I get a peace when it's from Him. And He confirms Himself a lot. Either through people or His Word. I have found it is becoming increasingly more through His people. I believe we are in a time of family, unity, so we are growing closer to one another and walking together. Prophesy is important for this, but we should test the spirits for ourselves. But prophesy is encouragement, edification, and comfort. All see the finished work.

C.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
I'm really stupid, and prone to get things wrong, so -
when I read some scripture and learn something from it,
I always look for other scriptures to support and confirm what I'm learning.

May 15, 2013
For it will fit right into place with the scriptures, and you'll get a comfort feeling as if you have accomplished something. It's feeling that void.

my_adonai_

Mar 19, 2012
Just read this

John 7:17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

Joh 8:31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
Joh 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Joh 8:38 I speak that which I have seen with my Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father.

Joh 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Well Gotta Love the Lord for such wisdom ey.
Usually when we get an understanding that is not from GOD, we are speaking of our own, and it is not from GOD. and it is unrighteous, and how do we know? NO Rest, peace. conviction settles in when we live that lie. troubled heart, sorrow that leads to repentance. Whatever GOD will throw at you in order that you repent

and leaving in TRUTH gives people liberty, has them Grow in faith. the bible says whoever commits sin is a servant of sin, so if we get an understanding from GOD, or a revelation from HIM and live in it. we get freedom from sin, and become servants of GOD. we gain freedom from a sin that was easily besetting us when we live in the TRUTH in the POWER and Guidance of the Holy Ghost.

what GOD recently taught me is that also, self righteousness is SPEAKING of oneself, seeking glory of oneself. that people may see that you are right, and not that the LORD is. seeking for the reward of men and not the reward of the FATHER.

and the bearing witness part can be tricky, ie. we can have 4 men that are living a lie, and even more than that (wide is the gate that leads to destruction). and quite a few that are living in truth (narrow is the gate that leads to life).

so i would always say to Exercise faith, and that we should see Major change in certain areas of our lives. Change that gives Glory to GOD.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I reached a point in my growth where the spirit told me I no longer needed scripture since I had him...
GET OUT OF HERE...

Now you know I was just joking, but that is how some posters sound like on CC.

my_adonai_

Mar 19, 2012
Faith comes from the word of Christ. HE always leads us back to scripture.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me." John 10:27

The only way to hear the voice of the Lord is to know the Word of God. I am blessed to learn something new almost every day when I read the Bible.

The real proof though, of whether we have truly heard from God, is in the last part of this verse. Are we following Him? Are those revelations and understandings causing us to grow closer to God and obey him?

Cee

May 14, 2010
"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me." John 10:27

The only way to hear the voice of the Lord is to know the Word of God. I am blessed to learn something new almost every day when I read the Bible.

The real proof though, of whether we have truly heard from God, is in the last part of this verse. Are we following Him? Are those revelations and understandings causing us to grow closer to God and obey him?
I agree with this :)

Revelations of Who God is, will make us more like Him. We shall become more and more like Love, Himself.

C.

D

Donkeyfish07

The Holy Spirit is unmistakable when it moves on you