How does Character Produce Hope?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Cee

May 14, 2010
"Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance,and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us." Romans 5:3-5"

I saw this on a poster's signature and it really made me stop and think because the Holy Spirit has been showing me that hope is the first step to faith.

I'm curious on your thoughts, how does character produce hope? Excited to see what the Holy Spirit will share with us through one another.

C.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Hope is the confident expectant certainty that an event will happen (namely what God has promised). Our character is our faithfulness to God and his promises and grows out of trials where God shows Himself faithful. Experiencing God's repeated faithfulness thru trials increases our hope and thus our trust and steadfastness (character) through those trials.

May 15, 2013
"Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance,and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us." Romans 5:3-5"

I saw this on a poster's signature and it really made me stop and think because the Holy Spirit has been showing me that hope is the first step to faith.

I'm curious on your thoughts, how does character produce hope? Excited to see what the Holy Spirit will share with us through one another.

C.
What it was referring to building up morals inside of us. When someone has been spoiled all their life, they doesn't have morals, for they lacked understanding. They doesn't have feeling for one another because they are life-less and uncaring. But if someone has went through a bad situation as the same as someone else, they will be able to relate with each other and feel each others pain; they'll basically will understand one another, and which we call that true love, and it means to have concerns for someone or thing. But if we all walked in God footsteps, we will feel the pain that He has been through.

P

psychomom

Hope is the confident expectant certainty that an event will happen (namely what God has promised). Our character is our faithfulness to God and his promises and grows out of trials where God shows Himself faithful. Experiencing God's repeated faithfulness thru trials increases our hope and thus our trust and steadfastness (character) through those trials.
you must spread some reputation around before giving it to crossnote again.

:)

A

Ariel82

It reminds me of these scriptures:

2 Peter 1
[h=3][/h][SUP]5 [/SUP]But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, [SUP]6 [/SUP]to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, [SUP]7 [/SUP]to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love

endurance is like perseverance so would character be like godliness?

If so then your spirit is able to cry out with God's Spirit Abba Father and know that you have learned enough self control to endure trials and have a strong enough faith to trust in the hope of things unseen but promised by God.

Romans 8
[SUP]24 [/SUP]For we were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees? [SUP]25 [/SUP]But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance.

[h=3]Hebrews 11 [/h]New King James Version (NKJV)

1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Cee

May 14, 2010
Very interesting answers! Thank you so much for your participation. I am chewing on all of this and will have something to report soon.

Mar 15, 2013

C.
dokime is there translated as "Character" because it is the inner wisdom gained of experience, rather than just the experience itself that it refers to.

Mar 15, 2013

C.
dokime is there translated as "Character" because it is the inner wisdom gained of experience, rather than just the experience itself that it refers to.

It is a kind of spiritual wisdom which gives us insight.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Here is from my experience. Now I had read to give thanks even in bad times, to trust god and continue seeking him even and especially in the hard times. Now this is a very hard thing to do as many of you know, but recently in my faith i had decided to do it regardless and trust me it hurt just to say thank you for this storm.

I honestly did not see anything to give thanks about but i did it because i wanted to let god know i love and trust him more than my suffering and that i will remain true to him even more so in the bad times. It's easy to give praise and be faithful in the good times but being so in the hard times is not so much.

The funny thing is as soon as i gave thanks and told him i trust him no matter what my suffering went away and you know what? I felt my faith growing, i felt myself becoming stronger in faith and love. I felt myself become more christ like.

So you tell me, Are the storms and sufferings of this life really what they seem like? Or a chance to grow stronger in faith?

Change your perspective and even the darkest of times can have joy and love

zone

Jun 13, 2010
you must spread some reputation around before giving it to crossnote again.

:)
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to psychomom again.

Cee

May 14, 2010
Hmm..

This is quite interesting.

dokime: this is found 6x in the NT, Romans 5:4, Philippians 2:22, 2 Co 2:9, 2 Co 8:2, 2 Co 9:13, 2 Co 13:3...

You can research the verse count for yourself here for context:
Dokime - New Testament Greek Lexicon - New American Standard

It appears to me that dokime is a sort of proving that happens by obedience through trials. It brings to mind the passage in John that says, they left us because they were not one of us. We know that God tests us for purity, but this word test I believe can gain much more clarity when we think in regards to iron turning into steel.

Iron is heated up (very hot) and then it is banged (many times) until it grows stronger and able to do more damage. This is called testing the blade. Very similar to us...

Yes we go through trials and testing, but it is to make us stronger, it shows us that God is faithful and as we realize that God is faithful in the small and big things, it increases our faith for the future (this life and/or the next).

Dokime is an inner beauty that is displayed by someone who has walked with God through situations. Good and bad. It says, God is the God of C. Not just the God of Isaac, Jacob, and Abraham, but the God of Me!

It gives us a journey to walk, it gives us lifelines to reach people knowing what they are experiencing. I've been where you're at, but this is what God did for me. And we know that we are pruned for fruitfulness, things not of God will be worked out, and God does this by purifying us with His goodness.

Dokime or character then is an inner working of peace, of trust, and looking back at a life wrought with God's power. From this stand point we have a hope for a future that can not be diminished because we have a realization of who we have been delivered by that can not be tarnished. He is Jesus and He is our Savior, Husband, Brother, and Father. The Hope for our future is very bright indeed.

And as our hope grows so does our evidence of this hope, our faith. Faith that everything is going to work out amazing (in this life and/or the next) because we serve a God who is beyond amazing.

God bless you all and thank you for sharing your thoughts,

C.