How have you changed since coming to Christ....

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
N

Nancyer

I hope this hasn't been posed before, but I was wondering how have you changed since coming to Christ? This has been a realization for me that the biggest change for me personally has been in my thought processes and focuses.

For years I was completely obsessed with a certain singer. You may have heard of him. Barry Manilow. Still my favorite, though I've always liked others as well. But I collected everything I could on Barry. Bought every magazine he was in, taped every tv show he was on, made scrap books on him. I checked into his chat site several times a day to chat with other fans about him, see if he himself would post anything. I belonged to many fan clubs and even had pen pals because of him. (before there were chat sites). I've been to 29 concerts and 8 talk show to see him. I've even met him (he is quite the gentleman, btw).

But I never considered it "obsessed" because I had other interests. I also loved interior design and worked very hard at making my little home look just the way I wanted. Bought scads of decorator magazines, spent money that should have gone elsewhere on home decor items, watched all the decorator shows on HGTV (cable channel for the do-it-your-selfer) and truly coveted a friend's house that is furnished with antiques-gorgeous!

The realization has been that I no long do these things. Not because I shouldn't but because I no long have the desire. While I still enjoy Barry's music, and would like to see his show again sometime, I listen to contemporary Christian music now, 90% of the time. If I catch him on TV great, but if I miss it I'm OK. I haven't bought a decorator magazine in 4 years and am OK if my home is not "decorated", just furnished. I still have the items I had before but I'm no longer continually changing, adding, redesigning. My TV viewing goes to TBN or other Christian channels before anything else. I always have my Bible and a notebook with me and when I have time between clients I read and study His Word.

I'm absolutely happier, regardless of what is happening around me. This has been a major revelation for me, that Christ is the center of my thoughts and desires - that I actually prefer my Bible to some magazine. I haven't been to Barry's website in probably 3 years.

So how about you?

P

Powemm

Hey Nancy! You grow girl!!
I think this is a great post and even if something on it had been posted before , seeing it freshly posted might bring someone to it tjat might otherwise take the time to hunt for such a thread ..
Yes ma'am! all "sorts" of things changed with me.. I stooped believing lies about who I am , got a new identity in Christ .. Hes rwbuilding and restoring continually in my life.. Have been single and not caring a witty tootoo about "needing" to be with someone ( I got me some Jesus 24 hours a day!) I can relate to you about those idols .. Mine weren't really tangible things.. But I believed my corrupt belief system more that I believed God.. Everything the enemy stole has been given back to me ten fold . I'm so excited for your new found freedoms! Your chain free and victory bound girl!

M

MissCris

I was baptized when I was 16, but I kept fighting against letting God really enter my life until right around 3 years ago. I won't go into that whole thing.

But!!

How I've changed? I am happy all the time. Not over-the-top, jumping up and down kind of happy, just...content. With my life, with my family, with what I have here and now (something I was unable to achieve before).

I'm at peace with myself. I pay more attention to how God is working all around me. My marriage is completely different, completely healed.

It's truly amazing how God changed my heart when I finally let Him :)

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
I was baptized when I was 33 but probably became a Christian around 30. Like you, my priorities changed. Life became much more serious when I realized what was really going on ;).

I also became more opinionated. Before, I didn't have an opinion about anything. I guess I thought everyone had their own truth and no one should object to another person's truth. I didn't have any convictions until I became a Christian. Then I became 'convicted' of the truth and couldn't ignore Jesus any longer.

Having children also sobered me up real quick. My God-given responsibility of motherhood made me more discerning and careful.