HOW I CAME TO KNOW GOD

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

bigmoe47

I WAS BORN INTO A NON PRACTICING CATHOLIC FAMILY. I REMEMBER BEING TOD TO GO TO CHURCH AND TO BRING HOME A BULLETIN TO PROVE I WENT. MY MOM WOULD STAY HOME WATCHING TV. I DID NOT BELIEVE. IN MY MIND BELIEVERS WERE NUTS. I GREW UP GOING TO 8 DIFFERENT SCHOOLS, I DON'T KNOW HOW AMY TIMES I MOVED AND NEVER MADE ANY FRIENDS AND WAS VERY LONELY.

I JOINED THE ARMY JUST TO GET OUT OF MY HOME TOWN AND SEE SOMETHING OF THE WORLD. I WAS STATIONED AT A SMALL BASE IN GERMANY AND STILL HAD NO FRIENDS. LIVE WAS LONELY AND HARD. I NO LONGER EVEN HAD FAMILY AROUND. I WAS DEPRESSED.

ONE NIGHT I FELT LIFE WAS JUST TO PAINFUL AND WISHED I WERE DEAD. I DID NOT WANT TO BE AROUND ANYBODY. NOW THIS IS A SMALL POST AND WHERE IS ONE TO GO ON A WEDNESDAY NIGHT TO BE ALONE.I WENT TO THE BASE CHAPEL. WHILE THERE, I WAS SURROUNDED BY BIBLES IN THE PEWS, A CROSS, AN ALTER, ETC. I COULD NOT HELP BUT HAVE THE CONCEPT OF GOD CREEP INTO MY MIND AND IT MADE ME ANGRIER. I FINALLY YELLED OUT IN ANGER AND FRUSTRATION, " OK GOD IF YOU EXIST, IF YOU REALLY CARE, THEN WHY". THIS IS NOT AN EXACT QUOTE OF WHAT I SAID BUT SOME OF THE WORDS I USED WOULD NOT BE APPROPRIATE. YOU HEARD THE PHRASE " I SWEAR TO GOD" WELL I WAS SWEARING AT GOD. BUT THE KEY IS I ASKED GOD A QUESTION NOT EXPECTING AN ANSWER. WELL AFTER I VENTED MUCH OF MY ANGER AND FELT READY TO LEAVE, I SAW ON A STAINED GLASS WINDOW THE WORDS, " AND YOU SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE". YES THESE WORDS WERE THERE BEFORE I WENT AND AFTER I LEFT, BUT THEY WERE THERE WHEN I NEEDED THEM AND WHILE DIDN'T GIVE ME A ANSWER TO MY QUESTION, IT WAS AN ANSWER AKIN TO SOMEONE SAYING "LISTEN AND ILL TELL YOU" . I WAS CONVINCED FROM THAT MOMENT ON THAT THERE WAS A LOVING CARING GOD THAT WANTED THE BEST FOR ME AND WANTED TO LEAD ME OUT OF THE DARKNESS.

THE FOLLOWING WEEK I WAS SIMILARLY DEPRESSED AND WENT TO THE CHAPEL AGAIN, IT WAS THE SAME DAY OF THE WEEK, ANOTHER WEDNESDAY. ONLY THIS TIME THERE WERE PEOPLE THERE HAVING A BIBLE STUDY, SO I TURNED TO LEAVE AND THEY INVITED ME TO STAY. THEIR CARING AND THEIR FAITH INTRIGUED ME. THOSE PEOPLE AT THE CHAPEL THAT NIGHT BECAME MY BEST FRIENDS.

THE NEXT MORNING ON MY OWN I WENT AND PURCHASED A BIBLE. IN ONLY A MATTER OF DAYS I ASKED CHRIST TO COME INTO MY LIFE. I WAS SO UNBELIEVABLY HAPPY THAT I COULD NOT KEEP QUITE. I RAN INTO A FELLOW SOLDIER IN MY UNIT THAT IS JEWISH, WITHOUT THINKING AND OBLIVIOUS TO THE POSSIBILITY OF OFFENDING HIM, I SHARED MY STORY WITH HIM. I FOUND OUT A COUPLE DAYS LATER THAT HE ALSO ACCEPTED CHRIST.

MY TIME THERE AT THE BASE WENT FROM BEING MISERABLE TO THE HAPPIEST DAYS OF MY LIFE THUS FAR. I WAS INSATIABLE FOR GODS WORD AND THE FELLOWSHIP OF BELIEVERS. I BECAME VERY ACTIVE AND ENJOYED BIBLE STUDY, REMAINED EVER COGNIZANT OF GODS PROMISE THAT " WHENEVER 2 OR MORE GATHER IN MY NAME I WILL BE WITH YOU". I AND MY NEW FRIENDS WERE INSEPARABLE WHEN OFF DUTY AND CALLED OURSELVES THE "BUG EYED BIBLE BASHERS" WE WEREN'T PUSHY BUT WE COULD NOT GET ENOUGH OF GODS WORD. WE, WITH THE HELP OF THE PROTESTANT CHAPLIN, SET UP A CHRISTIAN COFFEE HOUSE. YOU COULD SEE GOD WORKING ON POST. WITHIN A SHORT TIME THE COFFEE HOUSE WAS SECOND ONLY TO THE POST THEATER AS FAR AS RECREATION WAS CONCERNED. WE HAD FREE UPLIFTING CHRISTIAN MOVIES EVERY WEEK, COOKOUTS WHEN THE WEATHER WAS GOOD, BIBLE STUDIES, AND JUST SIMPLE FELLOWSHIP.

I WAS STILL GROWING HOWEVER, I WAS STILL ATTENDING CATHOLIC SERVICES, WHILE MOST OF MY FRIENDS WENT TO PROTESTANT SERVICES. I INCREASING SAW THAT THE CATHOLIC CHURCH WAS AT ODDS WITH THE BIBLE. WHEN MY TOUR OF DUTY WAS OVER AT THAT BASE, I WAS TRANSFERRED TO FT SILL OKLAHOMA. I WAS UNSATISFIED WITH THE SERVICE ON BASE AND FOUND A CHURCH IN TOWN. I FELT DESPITE MY RECENT HISTORY I WAS NOT QUITE CHRISTIAN AND FELT GOD WANTED MORE FOR ME. I THEN AFTER SEVERAL WEEKS OF CHICKENING OUT FINALLY RELENTED AND OBEYED GODS CALLING AND RECEIVED A BELIEVERS BAPTISM. IT WAS FOREIGN TO EVERYTHING I SAW IN LIFE BEFORE ATTENDING THIS CHURCH. I WAS AMONG SEVERAL TO BE BAPTISED BY FULL IMMERSION. ONLY THEN DID I FEEL REBORN.

THIS WAS 30 YEARS AGO, I LEFT THE ARMY, LEFT OKLAHOMA AND STARTED LIFE AS AN ADULT, UNFORTUNATELY I NEVER AGAIN HAD THE LEVEL OF SUPPORT I HAD. I LOST CONTACT WITH MY FRIENDS AND AFTER A NUMBER OF YEARS FEEL I LOST CONTACT WITH GOD. HIS VOICE BECAME MORE AND MORE DISTANT, DROWNED OUT BY THE CLAMMER OF LIFE. I MARRIED A NONBELIEVER, BECAUSE I LOVED HER. i WENT TO A CHURCH THAT WAS INACTIVE BUT STAYED BECAUSE IT HAD A GREAT PASTOR WHO WAS MY AGE AND BECAME MY FRIEND. WHEN HE LEFT I HAD NOTHING TO GO THERE FOR. I LOST THE WILL TO GO. I HAVEN'T BEEN TO CHURCH NOW IN 12 YEARS OR SO EXCEPT FOR MEETINGS SINCE I WAS CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES AND COMMITTED.

I WANT SO MUCH TO HAVE GOD BACK IN MY LIFE. I CAN'T ASK THAT BECAUSE HE ALREADY IS. I SORT OF FEEL AS THOUGH IT IS LIKE HAVE A VALUABLE ITEM THAT GOT PACKED UP WHEN I MOVED AND NOW I CAN'T FIND IT. HE IS STILL PACKED AWAY SOMEWHERE WITH EVERYTHING ELSE. I WANT TO FIND WHATEVER BOX I PUT GOD IN AND PUT HIM BACK IN HIS RIGHTFUL PLACE IN MY LIFE.

B

Brighthouse

Brother Big moe47 I understand your story brother!I served 2 tours in Vietnam,and during that time, I could have died many times. I did not know Jesus either during that time.After many years he found me. And like you, after being saved,I did not know how to follow. I had to learn the hard way.Many said they believed,but looking at there life,well brother you just would never know the difference.

Something I am very sure you have also seen!So now what? Is that all there is to Jesus?? Since you are very close to my age,my hope is that I can encourage you in Jesus.When you have a son or daughter and they anger you,do you not still love them?why? Because they are a part of you.When coming to Jesus we have to learn this,most never teach this.

Most just tell you to pray about it,or it is all your fault.Fault my brother we all have,that is never the problem.Our problem is doing something many have not done for us.Taking the time to be with the Lord.We do this by reading his Word daily.No judgement on how much you read a day! Just know this.By taking your time to spend with the Lord daily,you will once again find him speaking to you through that Word.To better yourself,to encourage you to continue in what you have started!WHY??

Because even though we have angered him, he still loves us,in spite of our own guilt!( john 8:31-32) Yes the very same word you once saw in Chapel!Speaking the truth is hard enough for most,speaking the truth in love is even harder.And like the training we both received in the service,we also must be trained in the Lord in how to continue to follow him.What is a true soldier in Christ?

Please do take the time to read 2 Timothy, it is only 4 chapters.4 of the most powerful chapters written for people like us, a Soldier.A true brother in Arms! What is out of balance good brother is our time. Time to be willing to learn,time to be willing to grow.We have to decide this.No one else can!If you are willing then the Lord is more then willing to help you in every way!

No my brother life is not made easier in the world but is made easier in our Spirit man! Having peace when all around us there is little of it.Giving a kind word to someone who needs it!WHY?? Because my brother we need it!Jesus has need of it as well!When he choose us,and yes he did choose us!!( john 15:16 says so.)He choose us because he has given you gifts he has not given all men or women.A car can run,but if one of the main parts does not work,well neither does the car.All parts must work, and be active!

Each of us represent a main part to the Body of Christ,and if all are working, then the Body of Christ is as well,and if not,then that part needs to be repaired.Repaired not with judgement!But rather with what first created it! LOVE!( 1 John 4:7-21!!)I show you the Word because it is only Jesus to me who can measure us.Not others,though many look to!

A follower does not measure his or her faith by others,but rather by the true friend that we now have!Jesus and His Word!( john 15:11-17!!) My prayers are with you my brother in Arms.if I can further encourage you, please do let me know.I sure do not have all the answers!!We know in part! ( 1 Cor 13:12)Since we do ,Jesus wants all of his parts to be both active, and working parts,for what good is a part that does not work??LOL Blessing bro!

Feb 11, 2012
I WANT SO MUCH TO HAVE GOD BACK IN MY LIFE. I CAN'T ASK THAT BECAUSE HE ALREADY IS. I SORT OF FEEL AS THOUGH IT IS LIKE HAVE A VALUABLE ITEM THAT GOT PACKED UP WHEN I MOVED AND NOW I CAN'T FIND IT. HE IS STILL PACKED AWAY SOMEWHERE WITH EVERYTHING ELSE. I WANT TO FIND WHATEVER BOX I PUT GOD IN AND PUT HIM BACK IN HIS RIGHTFUL PLACE IN MY LIFE.[/quote]

I would encourage you to seek God with all your heart, and know that He is calling all His creation to repent, and turn to Him.

2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slow concerning His promise, as some count slowness, but is long-suffering toward us, not purposing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Most organized churches today are not teaching anything close to the repentance God calls for in His word, and apart from repentance there is no remissions of sins! You must crucify your flesh with Christ, Galations 2-20, read Romans Ch 6, and then folllow Jesus on the narrow road!

Act 3:19 Therefore repent and convert so that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.

Stay out of the churches that tell you you can sin like the devil, and not loose your salvation, or that you were born a poor helpless sinner, and Jesus came to take your place or be your substitute because you cannot possible obey Him, as He commands us to do!

1Jn 3:8 He who practices sin is of the Devil, for the Devil sins from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was revealed, that He might undo the works of the Devil.
1Jn 3:9 Everyone who has been born of God does not commit sin, because His seed remains in him, and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

Joh 14:15 If you love Me, keep My commandments.

Seeek Him with all your heart, and if you are in any form of bondage to sin, you must repent of them and seek His mercy, as the city of Nineveh did. Jonah CH 3.

Jas 1:21 Therefore putting aside all filthiness and overflowing of evil, receive in meekness the implanted Word, which is able to save your souls.
Jas 1:22 But become doers of the Word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

An Encounter with God BEGINS with the Person AMENDING the Evil of his Doings! The scriptures teach repentance comes before salvation.(2Cor.7:10) Conversion comes before forgiveness.(Mk.4:12) And repentance comes before remission.(Lk.24:27) Since the nature of a true repentance produces the STOPPING of sin. the CLEARING of wrong doing, a change of mind, inclinations, desires...so must the conduct change!...The result of a crisis conviction in the soul is a vindication and purification of heart by Christ blood through faith!(Acts15:9;1Pet.1:22;Heb.9:22;Eph.1:7;Col.1:14) Since sin is CHOICE, NOT NATURE it must be stopped in repentance!(Isa.55:7;2Cor.7:10-11)
NONE of this is Happening inside the Churches! They Preach a COMPLETELY Different Gospel! Your Presence among them is futile. But since Experience is always the best teacher, nothing I can say or show you will make a difference in getting you OUT of this Mess. Like everyone else, you will have to run your course and find out on your own that your effort is being wasted on the dead. I can only offer my advice based on past experiences. It’s difficult to quill the enthusiasm felt by a New Convert, whose eyes are open and heart is on fire for God. But I offer the following suggestions to any who would hear:
NEVER Compromise with the Born in Sin Message!
Stay OUT of Commentaries, Books, Study material, until you are Firmly Grounded in the Faith!
DON’T Get Caught up in the Church Hype, Music, Sports, Activities, Dinners & Think its Serving God!
Take NO Sides in the Doctrinal in-house Debates between Church goers.
PROVE and TEST Everything by Scripture BEFORE you Make your Decisions!
Don’t Support the Lie with your time, money, effort or agreement.
Be Prepared to Walk away at any time, no regrets. You Cannot Fear being alone.
The Churches are a Lost Cause and have been for Centuries. You Risk a Great Deal remaining among them. We are NOT Prophets, Sent of God to awaken them! We are Sojourners in a Strange Land.

www.standingthegap.org

X

xino

wow very interesting read.
I love it every time Jesus shows a sign and speaks to people...it is completely UNBELIEVABLE and truly AMAZING!
i mean the one and only, the almighy showing a sign from Heavens O_O

it's such a shame that you are distant from God. but the thing is...Jesus IS always waiting for you to turn back with his arms stretched out!
He is always watching us, if you are distant. You may feel that..."if I pray to him, he may not listen because I've ignored him for a long time".
The fact is he wants you to come back to him so badly!!!

I was reading an interesting verse in Luke.
Luke 15:11 The parable of the Lost Son.
It talks about a son who asks his father to give him a land, as his father did the son went to the land and did so many bad things and worldly things. Until famine came to the land, he then needed help. So he went back to his father begging for forgiveness and feeling sorry for how he wasted the time/resources on the land. The fact is the father WAS so joyful that his son returned and celebrated his return of his son.

This is exactly how Jesus feels about people who has turned their backs on him and walked out of Jesus's presence, when they return back to Jesus begging, Jesus WILL instantly accept them back.

In the parable the elder brother of the son was annoyed with his father for celebrating and killing a fat goat for the son's return. While he did all his father's work, no fat goat was killed or a big celebration made such as this. The father said yes you have done good work but your brother has died and returned back to us, so we need to celebrate.

This is hard for some people to take in because they can think of it as:
oh my sister went off with dad's credit card and used it on clubbing, shoes, fashion, men, cosmetics etc. Now she returns, dad should punish her!

But if you are full of love and grace like Jesus, you would think of it like this:
oh my sister went off with dad's credit card and used it on clubbing, shoes, fashion, men, cosmetics etc. Now she returns, I'm so glad she returned back to us as we've missed you and we are glad she has come to her senses.

This is an act of-
*forgiveness
*repenting

So please repent to Jesus Christ, ask for forgiveness.
It is best to try to convert your wife with you.

God Bless man:)