How narrow is the path?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
O

oldthennew

CONTEXT, CONTEXT, CONTEXT...

the scripture before the 'straight & narrow' is simply a form of the GOLDEN RULE and
the scripture after it, even though this GOLDEN RULE is so simple, Christ warns us
to beware of FALSE PROPHETS:
they are going to LOOK like SHEEP, but inside they are RAVENING WOLVES!!!
trying to lead all astray from the simplicity of the GOLDEN RULE.

the message is clear, He is emphasizing, 'to love your neighbor as yourself' and
by extension, 'to love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind'.
and He says earlier on the 'sermon on the mount', 'be ye perfect, even as your
Father in heaven is perfect'.

T

Tintin

I am a strong believer in this "black and white, no grey area" view. I still run into problems with this view though because say I go to walmart, is that evil or good?

But the reason I ask this question about the narrow path is because I see many christians in this world who are very active in their church, they believe in Christ they, avoid things they know are clearly sinful, da da da da da.

However, what they do in private, when they are at home, may not be Christ like. they play video games, watch netflix, and those two things I repeatedly identify as not christ like, at opposition to God. I see anything that is not directly for God and his kingdom as evil.

Loving GOD with ALL your HEART MIND SOUL STRENGTH. ALL.

Not trying to be perfect, but being made perfect by spending time with God.
I struggle to see the problem here with things like video games and Netflix. You do realize you left out a big one, didn't you? The Internet! Because you use it yourself and you can't seem to bear to point out something you do yourself as not Christ-like. No.

Sep 30, 2014
I struggle to see the problem here with things like video games and Netflix. You do realize you left out a big one, didn't you? The Internet! Because you use it yourself and you can't seem to bear to point out something you do yourself as not Christ-like. No.
The Internet is a learning tool Tintin, some read the Bible and talk about God on the Internet ... and some argue about playing video games ... See the difference or no ?

T

Tintin

The Internet is a learning tool Tintin, some read the Bible and talk about God on the Internet ... and some argue about playing video games ... See the difference or no ?
Exactly. But I don't think Owen realizes that there are some gray areas in life. Yes, things are either godly or ungodly but there are some things that just aren't black and white (eg. should Christians watch television, is stage magic of the occult?). This is one of them. If someone doesn't understand that though, they're going to condemn anything and everything that they don't agree with and don't ever participate in. How silly!

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
About as narrow as Jesus, faith, grace and the simplicity that is found in JESUS.........!
Amen! In John 10:9, Jesus said - "I am the door: by Me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. Ephesians 2:8,9 - By grace we have been saved through faith, not of works. That is the narrow way. All other paths are connected to the broad way.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Interesting I have seen and I'm sure many of you have too imagery where a gap between life and death is bridged by the cross of Christ. Sometimes its a fire filled gap but the only way across it is by the cross.

There is a way that seems right to a man but the end thereof is death. Gods word is a light unto our path and a lamp unto our feet that we stumble not. Hand in hand with my Savior I tread where He has trod. I go without fear where ever He leads.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Sep 16, 2014
I hold dearly the words my pastor told me when I was struggling with trying to be perfect: He said with a warm smile, "Utah, we love you because you're not perfect; because if you were perfect, you'd be pretty hard to get along with." :)

Remember beloved, God's grace is not cheap, but it is His good pleasure to give us the Kingdom. Luke 12:32.
That's why if Jesus were to come by to join a typical local church, the congregation would probably vacate.

EmethAlethia

Sep 8, 2014
“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. (*Matthew‬ *7‬:*13-14‬ NIV)

How narrow is that path? How do you know, brothers and sisters, that your lifestyle lines up with the narrow road that we are required to take?

What if the things you do are sinful and you don't know it?
How do you rationalize your lifestyle?
The word for narrow literally means "to groan". It's a tight squeeze and even if you do get through, you might leave some flesh behind, it's that tight. Context is very important. The wide path that the MANY are on is also important, as is the rest of the context. The exact same word "many" is used of some of the lost on that broad path that leads to destruction in the last verses of Matthew chapter 7. It appears that the many on the broad path that leads to destruction are people that believe Jesus is their Lord, and do many powerful things in His name, including casting out demons and miracles.

Given that the "Many" are people who believe they are Christians, from the example used, the passage is even more ominous. Few, by definition, is 2-3 out of every hundred. That's few.

J

jeff_peacemkr

“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. (*Matthew‬ *7‬:*13-14‬ NIV)
How narrow is that path? How do you know, brothers and sisters, that your lifestyle lines up with the narrow road that we are required to take?What if the things you do are sinful and you don't know it? How do you rationalize your lifestyle?
how narrow? few find it. how know? Spirit with Word.(always in line, completely) and not just lifestyle. every detail. every thought. every imagination. what if? it is written: ... if you discover you have sinned a sin you did not know, repent.
how rationalize? ... i don't know. everyone presented with Scripture about lifestyle/etc any sin, admit it is true, but they have excuse to keep doing what they do instead of repenting.
few repent.

J

jeff_peacemkr

That's why if Jesus were to come by to join a typical local church, the congregation would probably vacate.
have you watched what happens? they don't leave. He's not able to get in the door, so the congregation grows (see the biggest 'church' on earth? they don't allow the Name of the Creator to be mentioned, nor even to be found in the Bible. they still don't allow their members to read the Bible for themselves, except for (whitewashed) show.) as long as their lives don't have to change uncomfortable they're happy to be there. IF they let Jesus in, and find out they have to get their lives in order with Jesus, then they either leave or kick Him out, or repent. More take the wide road than the narrow road.