How often do you read the bible?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

BishopSEH

I could tell you that i read the Bible on average 4 times a year cover to cover or that I have read it cover to cover over 100 times or even that I have listened to the bible over 300 times on audio book. I could but why? It true but that would encourage the person reading this to get the wrong idea. See its not about reading words on a page. If it was most of use would be experts on the bible. Anyone really want to make that claim?

It doesn't matter how many times I read it or your read it. What matters is how you read it. The Bible is a love letter. For God so loved the world. Its not a manual or a set of rules or a map. The Bible is God telling you how much he loves you.

Did any of you every receive a love letter? Did you speed read through it? Did you keep count of how many times you read it? Maybe the latter at first but as you read it more and more you forgot to count and just savored they meaning of the words written by the hand of your love. I promise you, if you read the bible as a love letter you will discover things about God and about yourself that you never knew or even imagined. Stop counting and read my brothers and sisters. God loves you and He is trying to get you to read His letter as one that loves Him and knows He loves us.

In Christ,

Bishop SEH

T

Tintin

I've never read a love letter, except the chunky one I received from God - His Word. God's Word is his book of promises to his people, the story of his interaction with his creations. Excellent post, sir, excellent post.

I could tell you that i read the Bible on average 4 times a year cover to cover or that I have read it cover to cover over 100 times or even that I have listened to the bible over 300 times on audio book. I could but why? It true but that would encourage the person reading this to get the wrong idea. See its not about reading words on a page. If it was most of use would be experts on the bible. Anyone really want to make that claim?

It doesn't matter how many times I read it or your read it. What matters is how you read it. The Bible is a love letter. For God so loved the world. Its not a manual or a set of rules or a map. The Bible is God telling you how much he loves you.

Did any of you every receive a love letter? Did you speed read through it? Did you keep count of how many times you read it? Maybe the latter at first but as you read it more and more you forgot to count and just savored they meaning of the words written by the hand of your love. I promise you, if you read the bible as a love letter you will discover things about God and about yourself that you never knew or even imagined. Stop counting and read my brothers and sisters. God loves you and He is trying to get you to read His letter as one that loves Him and knows He loves us.

In Christ,

Bishop SEH

Feb 17, 2013
If you want a juicy, steamy, almost adult love letter. Then, read the Song of Solomon. Steamy!!

Feb 17, 2013

In Christ,

Bishop SEH
I would say that the main theme of the bible is Christ and Him crucified (or did I miss it) and most folk don't know what that means.

gert

Banned
Apr 3, 2013
I seriously hope you're joking -_- because it's not funny.
im not joking reading the bible is a extreamly good way to becomming a athiest

when you acctualy think about what you read and think how crazy it is and how incorrect it is funny that a book written by a god cant get things correct wonder how that happend

gets the thinking going then suddenly you start asking questions then when you run out of options your left with only one conclusion

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
one thing to add to this: you need to read the whole Bible, not the just the same parts over and over. it is fine to have devotionals, but if you just read the same verses every day you get a incomplete view of the meaning.

L

ladylynn

Hi Dotann, I hear you there about getting caught up in the Word and things get undone. I was a shut in for about 3 yrs. and have also got into watching many tv preachers that other wise I would not have taken the time for. I was mistaken because like this on-line site, tv and radio can be a great tool for the Gospel. :) Yes, sitting at the table with a few translations open is pretty intense.
The dictionary has been a major help in understanding word meanings and often brought tears to my eyes as to how much He loves us. :) Hats off to you and others who look into the Greek and Hebrew translations. I tried to understand C.S. Lewis but he was way over my head in many of his writings.
:confused: The Screw Tape letters were pretty awsome.
It sure is true that the more we learn about God the more we want to know about God personally and need to know because it uncovers more we didn't know. lol :D But like you said "it's all good"

S

SantoSubito

Ten chapters a day, everyday. Takes you through the Bible about 3.5 times a year, and through other parts 8 or 10 times a year with the reading plan I use.

So don't let anyone tell you Catholics don't read their Bibles.

L

ladylynn

Hi Gert, Look up on line Ravi Zachariahs (not sure if i spelled his name right) will help u with some of the questions. He is an (Apologetist) sp? He speaks at colleges and the students ask some basic hard questions about truth and what it is, how can there be one truth.,, one way., exclusivity, etc... Other religions and comparisons etc.. I believe God begins to draw us to want to know these questions and brings us to a place where we can't rest until we get some answer. "For we which have believed do enter into rest" Heb.4:3
Many times I've had to be reminded to center my thoughts on God's promise and not my thoughts about the problem. "Faith is not a sense, nor sight, nor reason, but a taking God at His Word" Evans...
I hope you will keep opening the Bible and trust God to show you what you need to know. He is not a respector of persons and He promises to answer the seeking soul. Hang in there Gert. :)

Oct 31, 2011
im not joking reading the bible is a extreamly good way to becomming a athiest

when you acctualy think about what you read and think how crazy it is and how incorrect it is funny that a book written by a god cant get things correct wonder how that happend

gets the thinking going then suddenly you start asking questions then when you run out of options your left with only one conclusion
That is exactly how I read the bible. And the problem I was having. I was about 18 and doing well in college, but it was Linfield, a christian college and they said God was important to know. Looked good, sounded good. So I tried. I read that unintelligible book every single night, a whole chapter. One night something happened to me. I still don't understand what happened. I was going to bed early, sitting in bed. It was almost 70 years ago but I still have a clear picture of the room, the time, everything. I was reading the Sermon on the Mount. I think there is another dimension in our world that God knows and we don't, so God knows what happened but I don't. I only know that my understanding of that part of our world was suddenly clear to me. And that bible was explaining it to me.

N

Nancyer

I read some part of the Bible nearly everyday. I try to get into the Word daily but can't always manage it. I know the days I do, feel better. I usually read it along with another book to help study an area. When I go to work (to see a client) I always bring the Bible and whatever study book I'm in with me, in case the client is late or I get done early and have time between clients. I usually go to a fast food, get a soda and dive in. Right now I'm using Lead Me Holy Spirit by Stormie Omartian. Romans and Philippians are my favorite books, but I'm finding I love parts of Isaiah, and Psalms is always inspiring and meaningful.

D

dashadow

I like to be led by the Spirit in my walk with God. I read the whole Bible when I was younger. But I only read it as the Spirit moves me now. Well, I read it during Bible study also. Most often, I reference certain scriptures when making a point. Reading a certain amount per day or any other such structured approach seems a bit forced for me at this point in my faith. But I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

As often as I've heard mention of it by my neighbors from other countries, this response is the clearest understanding I've received about the confusing nature of our language. The different pronunciation of "read" for past and present tense is really annoying. I keep feeling like I'm misspelling something, which wouldn't be surprising. :)

Dotann

Jan 28, 2012

In Christ,

Bishop SEH
Thank you Bishop SE! I was waiting for someone to respond in such a way! hehehhe. I too believe the same thing. The Lord showed me this a long time ago, but it has been brought up to me over an over again subtly by people in the reference that just because they read a certain amount or do their works as specific required times on ritual, They feel there goodie points are done and then proceed to wear them like a merit badge just to later boast about it to others about? So in actuality, there hearts are not in it for the right reasons and God sees this in the end...

I believe that its best to only read 1 passage and learn from it well so that it becomes a life changing event in your life, then you will want to apply it for the right reasons rather than trying to do everything so much, for the wrong ones...

Thanks for you post! :)

P

peterT

In Christ,

Bishop SEH
We need to encourage brethren to read their Bibles.

The foundation is in the scriptures, but you need to build that foundation in your hearts and around your feet, so you stand on the rock when the winds blow and beet upon your house.

Many Christians don’t read their Bibles sadly and have no idea how God operates or can operate, because they don’t know the word.

Jesus is the word, and his words are spirit and life, and food for your soul.

Yes it’s not so much how much you read, even tho that’s got to be good for you, but knowing the scripture then God can bring all things to your remembrance all that He have said to you.

Plus I think it’s about dedication and whole heartedness and being hot and not luke-warm, and putting God first and what better way to begin than to know your Bible.

B

BishopSEH

I would say that the main theme of the bible is Christ and Him crucified (or did I miss it) and most folk don't know what that means.
Earl,

It is easy to come away with that idea. Believing it will not harm you but you will miss the point. For God so loved the world He gave His only begotten Son, that whomever shall believe in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. Sound familiar? How about this one: But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Why did God give us the Law? Why do we still recognize the rainbow as a sign of God's promise? Why did the Holy Spirit inspire men that the words of Scripture should be recorded? Why did Christ leave heaven, become a man, live a sinless life fulfilling all of the Law and then die for us? Love.

And now these things remain: faith, hope and love, but the greatest of these is love.

The bible is now and always has been and always shall be about love. How God shows His love is in there to be sure, but don't focus so much on the method that you miss the message.

In Christ,

Bishop SEH

zone

Jun 13, 2010
Have you ever been on plane thats flying through extremely bad weather. I have traveled over most of the world and when this is the case. I hear people shouting "Jesus", not buddha, not allah, but Jesus. I 'm telling the truth. I have been to China, Egypt, the UK, Canada, France, Chile, Korea, and Taiwan. All the same.
LOL yes Earl - i HAVE experienced this!!
hahaha

gert

Banned
Apr 3, 2013
LOL yes Earl - i HAVE experienced this!!
hahaha
funny that ever wondered why

nothing to do with most 3rd world nations are muslim so unlikly to have the same population on board a aircraft as western cultures
also nothing to do with when a arab says allah its not a word you use so unlikly to register with you
but try the same thing on a flight to indonesia where you will be one of only a few christian on board and your more than likly going to be the only one saying jesus

no muslim buddist is even going to say jesus
plus i am a atheist i still use the word jesus but means as much to me as sausages

S

stek

funny that ever wondered why

nothing to do with most 3rd world nations are muslim so unlikly to have the same population on board a aircraft as western cultures
also nothing to do with when a arab says allah its not a word you use so unlikly to register with you
but try the same thing on a flight to indonesia where you will be one of only a few christian on board and your more than likly going to be the only one saying jesus

no muslim buddist is even going to say jesus
plus i am a atheist i still use the word jesus but means as much to me as sausages
Did you read the post she was responding to????????? Clearly stated he had traveled the World China, Egypt to name some that are anti-christian.

C

ChristReconcilesAll

Hey everyone! I was just wondering the patterns of others bible skills and not just how often they read the bible but if they read only certain passages, as in the Old or New Testament or added omitted other or books, and why and if they believed what they read and how long it took them? Things of this nature...

Just out of curiosity i guess and also, if studying something specific, how long did you remain within that same place before feeling like you received what you were looking for? :)
every day

"It is written, 'Not on bread alone shall man be living, but on every declaration going out through the mouth of God.'" (Matthew 4:4)