How should we interact with someone just released from prison?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

stillness

Jan 28, 2013
Walk trough the valley
You have good advice to ponder,
The up side that you did not confront Him with his need of the saviour then, may have been wise: that you were impressed to listen, has earned your turn to speak into his life so to speak. "Now is the accepted time of Salvation." You mentioned Him being in a bubble, people in recovery are in a bubble, you are part of that bubble. Let Him know it's the Holy Spirit and that it needs to be more than a bubble from good influences of relationships but that He needs the Holy Spirit on the inside, to be forgiven and for life to make sense. "All manner of sins shall be forgiven to man but rejecting the Holy Spirit shall not be forgiven."

Feb 5, 2017
When such things come up, it is then that our beliefs as a Christian are tested. That God is with us, in what we do, and is protecting us. There are missionaries in this world who face day to day challenges of their own faith, but here is one person. We can be the one person who has such a great faith to help that person in such a challenging transition from prison to reality, or we can be like most people who judge them as an ex-convict, be paranoid of them, fear them, and make their life so miserable that they reoffend and go back to prison. I have read that the reoffend rate for ex-cons is quite high, and it is because they come out with nothing and no-one. Kudo's to you for sacrificing yourself in how others might judge you, and doing God's work.

star

Nov 8, 2017
North Carolina
Nothing wrong with second chances, but a few things to ponder....

a. If his stint was the result of violent crime such as rape, killing, assault with a deadly weapon etc....be very wary and wise.....like never alone with him.

b. If your stepson's friend why would you see him after prison and or be socializing with him?

c. And I am surprised you never witnessed to him over a 20 year period......

d. I would be forthright with him and blunt about everything....straightforward and no beating around the bush....I would also witness without hesitation....

He and my stepson grew up together as little kids and at that point in time I was not in that picture. I came into his life when he and my stepson were around 11. So I know as a little kid that he was sweet and loving.

I have been forthright with him as I have corresponded for these last few years. Held nothing back. I'm that kind of person, holding nothing back which at times has gotten me into trouble. lolol.

I've talked to him about our church attendance as his mother also attends. So it's more or less something he knows about us.

But I feel the need to get down to business about his spiritual state now and hopefully God will put the words in my mouth that he needs to here.

My stepson just can't forget nor will he forgive this person for the crime. I on the other hand believe in forgiveness.

Feb 5, 2017
Well here's the thing, you can be like the many, love only those who love you, and who you find easy to love. Or you can sacrifice your self and time in selflessness, to help one who may be a better person because of you, who might harm himself or others if he is without you. This is what people most struggle with - what would MOST people do; what would JESUS do - should I obey my fear, or should I obey the love, and the calling that I feel inside my heart, that I believe comes from God.

If you accept a calling, you should feel absolutely faithful in it without doubt. We all have doubts, we are the many. Jesus had pure faith, he was the few. As are all the charitable people who do things no-one else wants to do.

That's my reason for posting this thread. I'm not at all sure.

D

Depleted

Well here's the thing, you can be like the many, love only those who love you, and who you find easy to love. Or you can sacrifice your self and time in selflessness, to help one who may be a better person because of you, who might harm himself or others if he is without you. This is what people most struggle with - what would MOST people do; what would JESUS do - should I obey my fear, or should I obey the love, and the calling that I feel inside my heart, that I believe comes from God.

If you accept a calling, you should feel absolutely faithful in it without doubt. We all have doubts, we are the many. Jesus had pure faith, he was the few. As are all the charitable people who do things no-one else wants to do.
You don't serve 20 years for pick-pocketing or shoplifting. It's a serious crime, and much is learned in the serving the time. Most of it not good.

Also good to remember you're giving the glib to someone who is putting his life and his family's lives in danger too.

Feb 28, 2016
when we really 'fear God' and 'Keep His Commandments', then in His Reality,
we are 'called-chosen-elected', - how else could we have any 'PEACE', in this
'fallen-satanic-world'?!?!? or any desire to 'live' in it!?!?

star

Nov 8, 2017
North Carolina
Well, I'm going to give it a try. That's all I can do. I will pray for him daily and hope for the best. I believe in miracles. The odds are against him as far as the world goes but nothing is impossible with God.

MarcR

Feb 12, 2015
With as little reference to prison as possible. A person getting out needs no reminder of where he has been.

star

Nov 8, 2017
North Carolina
The focus IMO should be on his spiritual state, the ability to go forth with positive opportunities and the belief he can become what God intended him to be from the beginning. That is what I hope to impart to him.

D

Depleted

Back in the olden days, I was a counselor at a runaway shelter. By law, we couldn't keep the kids for more than three days. So, in three days, we had hear their first story, talk to them enough to get the real story, and figure out where they should go from there, all in three days. (Sometimes it was a stupid reason for leaving home. Often it was self-preservation. The kids never wanted to tell which one it was easily.)

When he leaves prison, he's going to have to find a place to live for free, and a job quickly. Both equally as hard to do. So, you might be required for more than just the spiritual side. They say that when you're up to your eyeballs with gators, it's hard to remember the job is to clear the swamp. Sometimes, you need to fight the gators too.

star

Nov 8, 2017
North Carolina
Back in the olden days, I was a counselor at a runaway shelter. By law, we couldn't keep the kids for more than three days. So, in three days, we had hear their first story, talk to them enough to get the real story, and figure out where they should go from there, all in three days. (Sometimes it was a stupid reason for leaving home. Often it was self-preservation. The kids never wanted to tell which one it was easily.)

When he leaves prison, he's going to have to find a place to live for free, and a job quickly. Both equally as hard to do. So, you might be required for more than just the spiritual side. They say that when you're up to your eyeballs with gators, it's hard to remember the job is to clear the swamp. Sometimes, you need to fight the gators too.

Absolutely the truth. He lives with his mother for now. The rest will be a challenge I'm quite sure. I'm just praying and having faith for the best.