How to cope with jerks

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 3, 2013
Hello all,
There's something that has been bothering me for a few years and I don't know what to do. Well, here it goes.

In 2010, I was a freshman starting out at my local Community College when all at once, I hear people sniffling as if they have a cold or sinus infection. They rub their noses, even swat their hands in their faces and say that I smell bad. Next, I hear people saying bad things about me and saying how I have a bad character because I smell.

I've even heard from a family friend that some of my trifling family members on my dad's side insulting me and calling me out of my name saying how I smell, and said some ugly things on top of that. I asked my dad and my cousin and they both said no. I even went to NYC for my grandmother's funeral last year and I heard my family on my late mom's side saying I smell horrible. My trip up there was horrible and they didn't say much to me. Anyway, I ignored those jerks at the college and graduated with my associates degree in December 2013.

Now I'm at a 4-year college in my second semester, going for 2 years for my bachelors degree and these jerks at this school are behaving the way those comm. college jerks behaved towards me.

Here's the thing with me. I shower 2X daily, I brush, floss and use mouthwash, I use deodorant, and spray perfume on me to smell good. I don't have any condition that would make me smell, but the insults are making me go to the point where I should never go out in public, just stay home isolated.

I don't know what to do. I don't smell but others say I do and I'm really at the end of my rope. All advice will always be appreciated.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Hello all,
There's something that has been bothering me for a few years and I don't know what to do. Well, here it goes.

In 2010, I was a freshman starting out at my local Community College when all at once, I hear people sniffling as if they have a cold or sinus infection. They rub their noses, even swat their hands in their faces and say that I smell bad. Next, I hear people saying bad things about me and saying how I have a bad character because I smell.

I've even heard from a family friend that some of my trifling family members on my dad's side insulting me and calling me out of my name saying how I smell, and said some ugly things on top of that. I asked my dad and my cousin and they both said no. I even went to NYC for my grandmother's funeral last year and I heard my family on my late mom's side saying I smell horrible. My trip up there was horrible and they didn't say much to me. Anyway, I ignored those jerks at the college and graduated with my associates degree in December 2013.

Now I'm at a 4-year college in my second semester, going for 2 years for my bachelors degree and these jerks at this school are behaving the way those comm. college jerks behaved towards me.

Here's the thing with me. I shower 2X daily, I brush, floss and use mouthwash, I use deodorant, and spray perfume on me to smell good. I don't have any condition that would make me smell, but the insults are making me go to the point where I should never go out in public, just stay home isolated.

I don't know what to do. I don't smell but others say I do and I'm really at the end of my rope. All advice will always be appreciated.
How long has this been going on, with people telling you that you smell? Do you wash good when you have your monthly? Do you have any medical conditions, because I know that some medical problems such as diabetes can produce body odor. Have you talked to a dr about this? If not, I think maybe you should.

O

oldthennew

BH,

it seems like at lest someone alter all this time would tell you what the odor that they smell smells like or
what it reminds them of!?
if I truly care about someone, I'm sure going to tell them if I detect something is wrong, simply because
I love them or care for them.
myself, I would definitely take 'blue's advice and go to a doctor, preferably a woman doctor.

our prayers are with you sweetheart!:)

C

CRC

There will always be someone or something that will contend with your happiness. Focusing too much on what others say and do can and will rob you of your joy. Don’t allow what others say and do to be the barometer that you measure yourself by. The most important opinion that matters is not that of your peers or even family!! It is God’s opinion of you that really counts!!! ( Romans 14:)

Therefore, we do not give up, but even if the man we are outside is wasting away, certainly the man we are inside is being renewed from day to day. 17 For though the tribulation is momentary and light, it works out for us a glory that is of more and more surpassing greatness and is everlasting; 18 while we keep our eyes, not on the things seen, but on the things unseen. For the things seen are temporary, but the things unseen are everlasting. (2 Corinthians 4:16-18)

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
I worked with a woman that say stuff like this whenever she smelled anyone's perfume. You would have thought she smelled a sewer. I understand that perfume spray may not smell the same on us as it may applied to the body as our body chemistry may alter the fragrance and this was enough to make me reluctant to wear it. I don't use deodorant either because I don't trust its chemical composition and have not had any complaints. I use powder instead, as it both absorbs perspiration and odor, most powder is scented enough. In your concern to make sure you do not smell, could you be overdoing it? Personally I do not think that it is sweat that smells all that terrible unless it is left to stew too long and regular washings are enough to keep odor at bay. Of course, the deodorant and perfume marketers would like you to think that is absurd. Personally, I have always wished that those that wore perfume or cologne adopted the rule that one should be able to smell it until they are at the distance of a whisper.

Last edited:

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
....I generally just ignore myself......'till I go away...........

(edited to say)

not directed at the OP........ :) but at the title......

Pemican

Sep 27, 2014
I agree with blue_ladybug on this. See a doctor. Did you know they are
using dogs to detect disease and body changes from diabetes and other
diseases because these sensitive animals can detect a change of odor?
I would definitely see a doctor and get checked out.