How to get your parents to understand??

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Monica_lynn

My whole family are strict catholics, and I respect that completely, but I, personally am open to general Christianity, I am not comfortable in Catholic surroundings in the least bit, I just want to go somewhere to learn about God and form a relationship with him and maybe find myself on the journey there, but I don't know how to get my mom to understand my motives behind that. I want to meet new people, learn new things, and become a better person that has a great relationship with God. But my mom refuses to let me go to church at all... PLEASE help?!!?

-Monica

Feb 26, 2011
Just sneak out the window and go to church, lol :D

K

kayem77

Just sneak out the window and go to church, lol :D
Lol, but maybe that's the option :p
I'm in the same situation as you...I totally got you :). I hate to say this but maybe u should go by yourself in secret, after all, you want to be closer to God, and of course pray for your mom and for you. I have to go to the catholic masses on sundays...and dudee is sooooo frustrating but I try to get the good stuff about it. Hang in there :)

W

wwjd_kilden

Have you tried talking to you mother about it? Although I think everyone should have the right to worship God in their own way, getting in trouble with ones parents probably isn't a good way

If she believes in the bible (which I assume she does...), she should allow you to find your own way of communicating with and praising God (even if she doesn't fully agree with it). Jesus himself told off the pharisees for telling people to worship God one one given way

but, try talking casually to her about it. Tell her you need your own way of spending time with God, and that the catholic way of doing it, isn't quite right for you, even though it may be right for her:) would that help?

Feb 28, 2011
Hey girl, i dont kno how u feel cos my mum never pressured me into religion but even if u cant get to church it doesnt matter, it doesnt matter if u do what catholics do or go along with them as long as you know in yourself what u really believe then God will know it too then when u move out u can do what u want : )

S

Seriously_Cool_Wife

Hello, I'm not a teen... I saw the beginning of the thread.. "How do you get your parents to..." and I laughed... As a mom, I had to know what you wanted to get your parents to do....

Anyway, I hope it's ok an adult posts and answer to a teens question, not sure the exact rules on the teen forum.

You aren't likely to convince them to let you go. Instead, my suggestion is to study the bible for yourself and realize that God planted you in that home and in that family. You are there for a REASON. Be obedient to your parents, respectful, and let whatever wisdom God gives you in your youth be a light and a beacon to your family and the ones around you. Don't be annoying and intentional in constantly combatting the Catholic faith, but just be gentle and share with them as you learn and grow in the Lord. Allow the passion and excitement for God to grow in you, and don't stop questioning and learning and growing. Then... make sure you are in prayer... constant prayer. Ask God to be the one to change their hearts. Ask God to be your champion and to change your circumstances.

... you don't need a church to lead you... you only need God to lead you.

A

alexiblue

Wow...I really feel for you. Not that I know what you're going through, but hearing about it just makes me so sad. It puts a burden on my heart, and I'm praying. I just encourage you to remember that your parents have the best of intentions, and I'm sure they really care about you, even if they are wrong sometimes. I definitely agree with most of what seriouslycoolwife said--you want them to realize that your desire comes from a pure heart that is really seeking God, not just wanting to have your own teenage way. Allow God to work in you, submit your will to His, and to your parents where they agree with what He says...

I would not go so far as to say, though, that you do not need a church. God created community for a reason, and we find it perfectly manifested in the essence of His being, the Holy Trinity. I shudder to think of where I would be without the blessing of the church I attend. I know some people go to a church that is not as helpful to them, so it is less valuable. But that does not lessen our need for fulfillment, and also to be a blessing to others. As far as your parents' religion, I know that I could never be content with Catholicism either, though, it would just feel so wrong, unfulfilling, old testament. Don't get me wrong, I believe there are many sincere Catholics who will get to heaven, but not the ones that rely on the sacraments, if even partially, for their salvation.

I will be praying for you. May God give you the faith in Him that alone can lead us a life of fulfillment with the Source of all Life, Love, and Light, and the knowledge to know how to do this, and the strength by His Spirit to be able to by His Power.

X

xJoe

First of all don't do it behind there back. That is deceitful, if you pray and cry out to God he will find a way for you to be in a church. We get into trouble when we put things into our own hands.
Praying and reading for yourself and constantly going to your mom and asking.
Luke 18 1-8
Then He spoke a parable to them, that men always ought to pray and not lose heart, 2 saying: “There was in a certain city a judge who did not fear God nor regard man. 3 Now there was a widow in that city; and she came to him, saying, ‘Get justice for me from my adversary.’ 4 And he would not for a while; but afterward he said within himself, ‘Though I do not fear God nor regard man, 5 yet because this widow troubles me I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.’”
6 Then the Lord said, “Hear what the unjust judge said. 7 And shall God not avenge His own elect who cry out day and night to Him, though He bears long with them? 8 I tell you that He will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on the earth?”

Heed these words. Instead of having something where you need to sneak to church why don't you do it the right why and let her agree?
I believe in the God who can let you get these on her conditions.

M

Monica_lynn

Thank you everybody so much for ALL of the great advice, I have taken it all into consideration, and I'm really trying to continue the journey of finding God and helping others, and I'm trying to show my parents that I have good intentions, and to wonderful relief I think it may be working..

:D

Y

Yalana

That is a toughie. Your Parents probably think Catholic is the only way to go. What I think you should is do some research on what your interested in Baptist or whatever or better yet go to the church in your free time an talk to the Preacher there an have him come to your home. An talk to your parents. Tell your parents they should be happy your even interested in church an that they should be happy your not out on the street drinking, doing drugs, sex whatever. Tell them you think it's a great ideal to explore other religions, an if all else fails you'll probably go to the same church as your family. An that you are getting older an it's good for you to make some of your own decisions . I think they just like the image of the whole family going together. Respectfully an gently, nicely as possible.

Jan 21, 2011
Honestly, if you're not comfortable at all in a Catholic church, you're not very likely to be comfortable in any Christian church. For instance, if you can't find comfort in the Catholic reading of scriptures, prayers, etc. you will find these practices elsewhere. If you can't find any comfort in praying over the sick or the marriage ceremony, you'll find these elsewhere.

It's not as if Protestantism is the opposite of Catholicism. I think you need to be careful in making your case. Sounds like you're tossing the baby out with the bath water. Don't tell your parents that you're completely uncomfortable in Catholic surroundings - be reasonably conciliatory.

X

xJoe

I disagree. I hated being in catholic church but went to a Bible believer church and loved it. and thats where I am till this day.

M

mexicansaint

i had sorta the same problem. i had no one to teach me. let the holy spirit ride and he will be your teacher and he will guide your steps. take you were you need to be

Depart ye, depart ye, go ye out from thence, touch no unclean [thing]; go ye out of the midst of her; be ye clean, that bear the vessels of the LORD.Isaiah 52:11(kjv)Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean [thing]; and I will receive you,2 Corinthians 6:17 trust me he will make everything better

SonOfAdam

Jan 1, 2002
As I'm sure you are aware from observing it, the Bible (not the Roman one - the kjv and similar) and the Roman Catholic system do conflict with each other.
If you have to go there, be sure to study the differences (mother worship, eating of one's god, idol worship, praying to dead people, any intercessor between man and God that is not Jesus, the list goes on). You may not be able to change from having to do them, but at least you can understand them better.

See Galations 5. Contrast the fruit of the flesh and the fruit of the Spirit. Aim to be demonstrating the fruit of the Spirit. Your parents will see it and hopefully over time they will allow you to do what you see as right, based on how it shows in your life to them.

Going behind their backs will only cause distrust and they will become more strict.

A

Alli84

Could you compromise with them? Maybe go to mass as well as attend a Wednesday night Protestant youth group? Many churches have some sort of weekday program.

M

MikeyyPe

When I told my devout Catholic parents I don't believe in god they flipped out.

J

jimmydiggs

When I told my devout Catholic parents I don't believe in god they flipped out.
A lot of teenagers are that way. They never learn the bible, to defend it. They never knew God.

America is a Culture of Religion, and not a Religion of Culture.

I pray that you stick around here, maybe some of us can get you on track!

D

Daniel227

Explain your feelings and reasons for it. She shouldn't condemn you for wanting to be a christian. Were not supposed to condemn others. Its good that you want to have a strong connection with God! but you don't have to go to church for that, you can read that bible, learn and grow with God on your own. but it is nice to be around other people with the same connection.

F

FirstToTestify

I totally understand what you're going through. My parents are Catholic too, but I don't like the vibe of the church at all. I don't feel like I really connect to God when I'm there. It's going to take time. But, I've finally convinced my parents to let me go to a non-denominational church. Just remind them that you're not walking away from God. You're just trying to find a relationship with Him in a different place. I'll be praying for you!!