How to know if you have been saved

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

bands409

Hi, I have been a believer practically all my life. I hit a rough patch in my life when I was growing up. I this might sound silly but, how do you know you have been saved? I just want to be able to fully give myself to the Lord. I need guidance to staying focus. I'm up for prayer, advice, and friends that will help me on this journey.

-Thanks for reading:]

E

EndlessGrace

When you know that you know that you KNOW that Jesus died on that cross for YOU, you are saved. If you believe in Him, he dwells within you :)

C

CoreyRyan

If you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

— Romans 10 verses 9 and 10

S

Strider

For me a big thing was trust, it took me a long time of going to church and studying the bible before I actually became saved. If you TRUST that Christ was whom he said he was and indeed TRUST that his death and resurrection washed you of sin you come to love him and know him; it is at that moment of trust and committle of self that you become washed of sin and FREE.

SonOfAdam

Jan 1, 2002
Believing in Christ as the payment for sin in your place. What you need to realise is that God has promised that Jesus payed for the sins of those who believed, and that Jesus can NOT break that promise. God has said it, and so it is so. So, if you believe then God promises you are saved and forgiven.

We are assured of our salvation not by what we can do, but because God who cannot lie has promised it is so. It is by God's perfect power and authority that we are saved.

There is also the matter of repentance - of turning from your sin and turning towards God instead. But if you are saved then that WILL happen because of the Spirit sanctifying you internally :)

A

aussigirl

The idea of being "SAVED", is a false theological notion. St. Paul wasn't saved. He said so. "But I chastise my body, and bring it into subjection: lest perhaps, when I have preached to others, I myself should be rejected". 1 Corinthians 9:27. Now if he were "saved", then how could he be rejected? This is a contradiction between scripture and the erroneous idea of being saved.

To have our sins forgiven we must confess them in the manner Christ described in John 20: 23.
"Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them, and whose sins you shall retain they are retained”. Christ gave the apostles and their successors the power to both forgive men's sins and to retain those sins if the person was not sincerely repentant.

Also see
Acts 19: 18 – 19, "Many of those who believed now came and openly confessed what they had done. And many who had practiced sorcery brought their scrolls together and burned them publicly".

T

TheJesusFreak

(Aussie. Umm it means saved from eternally burning in a big lake of fire. I think Paul is talking about that he SHOULD be rejected but god saves him. or something like that)

A

aussigirl

All of us, like the apostle Paul are working out our salvation “in fear and trembling” (Phil. 2:12), with hopeful confidence in the promises of Christ (Rom. 5:2, 2 Tim. 2:11–13)."

For a more complete discussion of this topic, see: Assurance of Salvation?

A

aussigirl

If you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

— Romans 10 verses 9 and 10
What then will we be judged for, on the Day of Judgment?

S

Strider

When you are in a state of grace on the day of judgement you are considered blameless because you crucified your old self and have been born anew in Christ everlasting.

C

CoreyRyan

Okay i don't claim to know everything but i tried to find some relevant scriptures.
[SIZE=+1]
He who believes in the Son has eternal life; he who does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God rests upon him.
John 3:36

[/SIZE]

i believe if we have eternal life that means we are written in the book of life...
in rev 20 it says that we are judged by our works, things written in the books
and who was NOT found in the book was cast into hell and the lake of fire.

So it sounds to me that the believers of christ who have eternal life will be judged according to their works.

Rev. 20
and I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and books were opened. And another book was opened, which is the book of Life. And the dead were judged according to their works, by the things that were written in the books.

13And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

14And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

15And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

John 12:48
The one who rejects me and does not receive my words has a judge; the word that I have spoken will judge him on the last day.

luke 6
37Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

Matthew 12
31Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

36But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

37For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Dear lord jesus christ. Please wash me clean of all sins and words i have spoken.

again...... For by thy words thou shalt be justified,

If you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord,"
it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

Thank you lord jesus, thank you thank you thank you thank you lord jesus

M

Maaatthew

Now I know this answer is very depressing, but no one is saved until we are with God & Christ in his Kingdom Of Heaven. We have more of a chance of entering that saved category by believing in God and believing that Jesus Christ is God in the flesh who died on the cross and paid for our sins. In other words we are property of God and Christ and we have been paid for in full. But, that doesn't mean we are saved. Even Christ said that many people will come saying how many wonders they have done in Christ's name and he will turn to them and say "I don't know you."

We are only saved when we are in the Kingdom of Heaven.

C

CoreyRyan

I have read the bible multiple times, and your gonna tell me that believing in christ does not mean you are saved? You need to have faith brother what i posted was exactly scripture, read it the bible says it not me.

— Romans 10:9-10

So are you saying the bible isnt true?

John 5:39-40 (King James Version)

39Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
40And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

read it, which testify of me... that is JESUS.

Romans 11:29-33 (King James Version)

29For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.
30For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief:
31Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy.
32For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

and also....

1 Peter 2:25For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls

and also...
1 Timothy 4
10..we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

Jesus told god to forgive them, did they even ask for forgiveness?

Luke 23
33And when they were come to the place, which is called Calvary, there they crucified him, and the malefactors, one on the right hand, and the other on the left.
34Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.

John 6.
45It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God.
Every man therefore that hath heard,
and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

Romans 14:11For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

Romans 3
21But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

22Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe:

23For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

24Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

25Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

26To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

27Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

28Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.
28Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

A

approaching_armageddon

The best book ever written on the subject was Jonathan Edwards's Religious Affections. It changed my life. If you're not used to reading older books, it might take a little time to really pick up the pace. Nevertheless, this book is really worth the effort. He lived during the Great Awakening, and he wrote Religious Affections in order to help people know whether they are truly saved or not. (There were a lot of false conversions at the time.) Either way, it is LOADED with Scripture on the subject, and--if you're like the rest of us--the book will present a serious, spiritual challenge. Also, if you're not saved, you'll almost certainly know it by the time you're done reading this book.
--Dan

D

dmdave17

What then will we be judged for, on the Day of Judgment?
I think this answer is relatively simple. All mankind will be judged on the Day of Judgment; however, those of us who have accepted Christ as our Lord and Savior will have what amounts to a "Get Out of Jail Free" card.

I know this sounds relatively simplistic, but I can imagine Judgment Day happening something like this. God sitting on His throne with Christ seated at His right hand. A soul is brought before Them. God pronounces judgment; "Guilty of Sin". He then looks to Christ who consults the Lamb's Book of Life. And Christ pronounces the sentence; "Saved" or "Damned".

Every man is a sinner. I believe that we will all have to answer to God for our lives. As Christians, we have the assurance that Jesus has already paid our penalty for us. We will enjoy the benefits of fellowship with Him forever, even though we could never have earned it on our own.