How to respond..

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jordache

I love my family but they are nuts. My pastor always tells me "I'm just glad you're here." I live 509 miles away for my family. I moved out for school when I was 17 and I had no clue it was actually salvation to me. I'm really not sure how to respond to my family though. I have two Christian relatives, an they are really the only people I share any common ground with. For the most part I tend to just observe the conversations from afar and stay out of them.
I have 5 brothers and 2 sisters. One brother is a Christian an ex-military. He was in the Black hawk Down battle. He's convinced the government is trying to control him and he is so concerned that it rules his life. He's always posting stuff about crooked government and he latches onto any conspiracy. I could say thy of just about everyone in my family.
Another brother is a pot and goat farmer. He basically lives off the grid where pot farmers live... Somewhere in the foothills away from town. He lives in a single wide trailer with his wife and ten dogs, and the occassional sickly kids (the goat kind). Luckily he keeps his pony outside. He posts "legalize marijuana" posts and related political satire all day long. However, most of his antigovernment stuff stays online. I can actually have a conversation with him that doesn't center on his "convictions".
One younger brother is the worst. He's so angry about gun control and anything the government wants to govern. He goes on political rants several times a day about legalizing marijuana, killing bad guys, government taking away his ability to hunt (he's the one who lived in his truck by a river so he could
Live off the land), his ability to protect himself, etc. Yet, a few days ago he decided he was going to start lookn for government jobs so he could make more money.
Now my cousins are in on the battle. It's all very strange to me. We have so very little in common. I find myself a fairly fearful person, but I just don't buy that the government it out to get me or that if they take away my weapons I'm defenseless. I feel like there are so many worse things to be concerned about rather than your opinion of people who are selling their guns. I mean, my younger brother is so angry with people giving up their guns. I do understand that they have the right to be concerned over what concerns them... But I really don't know what to say or not say. Guns are not my defense. God is. If the government is out to get me, God is still bigger and Hes still my defense.
So many of them are so paranoid that they latch onto any anti-government conspiracy as if its gospel. I have my concerns about the government, but it doesn't rule my life. Its so frustrating I guess because I love my family and they seem so fearful. I want to help them, but I can't.

Dec 5, 2012
Prayer is the best thing we can do for our family and friends. Prayer is very powerful, I believe that trough prayer more people are saved than not. Remember we have until our last breath tho accept God. Your prayers might be answered in their last breath. We do not know how God plans to move things around, but we accept He knows best. So pray, pray with ought ceasing.

Teach them the Gospel!
If you need to use words.

K

kenisyes

Matt. 10:37, Mark 3:35 Luke 14:26. But you know that, I'm sure.

J

Jordache

You are correct. I do know those scriptures and I don't believe they really address the issue. My family doesn't define me... And my church family is where I find the support that I need. I do not love my blood family more than The Lord. If The Lord completely called me away from them I would leave them behind, but He has not. I love them no matter how different we are.

K

Kefa52

Pray,Pray, and Pray some more, and we will join you.You and your family are on the top of my list.
I would pray and let them make the first move.

I

intercessorginger

Well unfortunately, we can't do that much except to love and pray for our families. But believe it or not...That is a lot! Enjoy your life and the sound mind that God has given to you without fear. It's wonderful to live in the peace of God. Pray often about your family that God will send laborers into that harvest! They can have the same thing you have...If....they have Jesus!

B

BarlyGurl

So your purpose for exposing your family in such a highly detailed, prejudicial and negative way in a public venue behind their back, where they are unable to respond... was WHAT again???? I might have missed it due to "shock", but I didn't actually see any real QUESTIONS. Mostly, just a long degrading diatribe about your family. How unbecoming. What if each family member got equal time to rant about you? Matt. 7:1-5 comes to mind.

J

Jordache

Barly I could say a lot about your behavior on here, but I won't. All I will say is please stop responding to my posts. You can call me unteachable or whatever your like, but back off.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BarlyGurl

Barly I could say a lot about your behavior on here, but I won't. All I will say is please stop responding to my posts. You can call me unteachable or whatever your like, but back off.
Say anything you like. As usual you miss the point. Comparing my public "behavior" here to your public "uncovering" of your family behind their back, is nowhere near an equivalent comparison. Implying that you are somehow taking the "higher" road by not "saying" anything about me... just makes it worse... since I have the benefit of defending my position... while your family does not. Would you be willing to go to your church or their church and stand at the front podium and recite the same words to the congregation??? You response to rail at me vs. saying something like "gosh, I didn't realize what I was doing, now that you point it out, I see my mistake" or " I feel convicted by that scripture". Makes me wonder about your spiritual status. Here is a pretty good bible study link GOSSIP. What does the Bible say about gossip?

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
Say anything you like. As usual you miss the point. Comparing my public "behavior" here to your public "uncovering" of your family behind their back, is nowhere near an equivalent comparison. Implying that you are somehow taking the "higher" road by not "saying" anything about me... just makes it worse... since I have the benefit of defending my position... while your family does not. Would you be willing to go to your church or their church and stand at the front podium and recite the same words to the congregation??? You response to rail at me vs. saying something like "gosh, I didn't realize what I was doing, now that you point it out, I see my mistake" or " I feel convicted by that scripture". Makes me wonder about your spiritual status. Here is a pretty good bible study link GOSSIP. What does the Bible say about gossip?
Are you incapable of stopping? I mean its like you pick on posts for your own pleasure

Mar 21, 2011
Jordache,
The way you describe your family....that's like 70% of the members on this forum.

I agree with the others for prayer. Prayer is the solution.

And I hate to say this, this will all change when they get another Old White Republican man as president again who will send the USA into more wars.

Then the focus of the crazies goes off the government and on to people of colour or other religions etc.

K

Kefa52

It sounds selfish, but the best way for me to help my family is to ask the Holy Spirit to help me.
Help me accept them without judging their sin/behavior.
Give me the wisdom and strength to forgive any wrong doing to me. Without putting myself back in any danger.
Give me the strength and wisdom to share my Hope with them, when I feel the Holy Spirit directing me to.
I keep myself open to serve God. There is a chance God won't use me to reach them but I keep myself open to the calling.
My door is open to anyone that wants help.
I try my best to stay with in Holy Spirit on stuff like this. Most of the time my flesh just wants to choke the drama out of them.

K

Kefa52

Here is a good example of what not to do. I know a mother that forgave her sexual abuser from her child hood. Then she let her young daughter go out with the man because she had to forgive him. :-(

K

kenisyes

You are correct. I do know those scriptures and I don't believe they really address the issue. My family doesn't define me... And my church family is where I find the support that I need. I do not love my blood family more than The Lord. If The Lord completely called me away from them I would leave them behind, but He has not. I love them no matter how different we are.
But it could take a while before you are independent enough, to step back enough to say anything to your family that would help. You may have no choice but letting anything but prayer, and just keeping in touch, wait until then. This, like your ministry, comes down to getting closer to Jesus, and growing in Him.

B

BarlyGurl

I mean its like you pick on posts for your own pleasure
I don't have any control over the "bent" of your perception... there is no question mark after your statement... so IS this a definitive conclusion your making or a comaparitive???

J

Jordache

You are correct Ken (and others). I do need to just pray more for them, and trust that The Lord will give me the words when I need to speak. It's not that I'm not independent enough to say anthing that could help. I need to be bold when The Lord has called me to be bold, and i need to pray when He is not directing me to speak. It's just very difficult and heartbreaking because I see the destructiveness of their mindset and I don't want them to have to live that way. I want to just yank them out and shake them, and tell them there is love and joy and peace and hope to be had.

K

kenisyes

Like I want to do with SO many people, and like I would like to think God feels about doing to THOSE people, too....

Hey, wait a minute, what if God thinks I need to be shook? Oops. Maybe I need to change my attitude about shaking people.

What could I do instead? What does God do to us when we don't follow Him....There's an idea, maybe that's what I should do to all the people I want to shake is what He does.

What is it He does again, loves them anyway, keeps being who He is? Maybe I could do that easier if I spent less time thinking about THOSE people, and more time praising God?

Thus my thoughts have run for many years, and at 64, I'm kind of starting to learn to do it finally.