How to you know if Christian work is right for you?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Miri

Hi folks, I have a question which you might be able to answer for me, especially if you have been involved in Christian work yourself.

A friend of mine with a big heart has big ideas about setting up a Christian venture. (I dont want to go too much into the details at this stage). To start off it would be a voluntary thing on a small scale with the potential to grow into a full time ministry, although it may take some time to get off the ground. She is looking at the moment at the possibility of getting together a small group of people to be involved in the plans and prayer into this, with a view to the right people becoming involved and eventually if it takes off, to help her move things forward, into what could become a full ministry/work for God.

It would be something which needs the support of the church and she is currently putting together her ideas to present to the senor pastor.

The thing is, she seems to think I would be the right sort of person to get involved with this and has asked on a few occasions if it is something I might consider.

I have been involved in the past in evengelistic type ministries and at one point a few years ago, I also had a Summer job working for a Christian charity.

Currently my life is very full at the moment and I don't have any particular leaning towards the type of work/vision she has in mind. But I have often thought that it would be great to do some sort of Christian work, something more meaningful then secular work.

But the question is, how do you know if Christian work is right for you and what type of work to get involved in. How do you know that it is God's plan and not just some sort of fanciful whim on your part.

What if you get involved in something and it turns out that you are not the right person - that would be so awful as you would be letting God down if this happened.

Any thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated. Or if you have been involved in Christian work how did you know it was the right thing for you?

Thank you for your comments.

Twinkle77

Sep 1, 2012
But the question is, how do you know if Christian work is right for you and what type of work to get involved in. How do you know that it is God's plan and not just some sort of fanciful whim on your part.

What if you get involved in something and it turns out that you are not the right person - that would be so awful as you would be letting God down if this happened.

Any thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated. Or if you have been involved in Christian work how did you know it was the right thing for you?

Thank you for your comments.
My husband and I used to be superintendents of sunday school for about 2 years. Later we moved on to another church. Because they knew we used to be superintendents, one sister in Christ approached me to ask me to join them because I was familiar with the ministry etc etc.
I said no, because I did not feel that calling in my heart to be there.

I did not get involved with any other "ministry" after the sunday school ministry because I came to a point where I did not feel the calling for any. I felt the need to help people whenever I could.
The important thing is to lay it before God and ask God to impress it upon your heart if you are meant to be involved in any ministry and and if so, in which one.

After a time, if you are still not sure and still sitting on the fence, you could talk to your brothers and sisters in Christ who are involved in ministries - for you to have a "try out" to feel if that one particular ministry is for you. God could speak to you during that time.

Every good we do, it never lets God down. It pleases God.
"If you are not the right person" - who says that? men? - If God wants you to be in ministry, man may see that you are not the right person, but GOD sees that you are the right person and will give you the gifts and qualities for a particular ministry to fulfill his will.

Sometimes we may go into ministry for a short period because it was meant only for a season for a particular purpose. Most important thing, pray and wait for Him to speak to your heart.

As for me, my everyday life is a ministry - looking after my family, loving others, sharing with others, helping others, being kind to others, sharing the word of God whenever there is an opportunity etc

O

oracle2world

Big decisions like this? You just know, immediately, without equivocation.

Christian work does not have to be advertised, packaged, and labeled as "Christian work" in order to qualify as Christian Work. (Like the saying, " if
it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck ...".) It does not even have to much of a big deal to you. After my sister-in-law broke up with her finance, my wife and I gave her a place to live while she chilled out (she did not want to go back home just then). No big deal to us, just another plate at the dinner table. But to her at that point in her life, incredibly important to her.

There is one line I draw on this helping others stuff. If it won't help over the long haul, I walk away and don't look back. Some people and causes are just black holes. Sorry if that sounds harsh.

O

OFM

i totally agree serve and help out as the Lord leads you too only.

Aug 29, 2012
from what i have seen, God will use whomever is willing to be used. i have seen the, what i would consider, to be the worse choices do some mighty awesome things for God because they were willing to stand in faith, tighten the belt and go with what they know. Conversely, i have seem awesome choices - close countries to missionaries, they behavior so poor.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........................

i guess the key is your own dedication to God, in humility, your control over your sin nature, what you are desiring being a match with how God has gifted you with. and relying upon God, not grandma to fund your effort.

as was said earlier, God asks us to do something and it might be a three month commitment or a lifetime and we may not know the difference. so plan on the short term, be flexible for the long term, and yielded to God's leading always - He just might be only seeing if you are willing to obey!

O

OFM

commit you will To God's Will that is your Spiritual Service i second 10 years a whole life time,amen..............