I am unsure

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

letti

I have been not speaking or even having any contact,with my biological Mother since 1995.I had a falling out with her years ago.I't was her wish I not marry my now husband at that time.I went against what she wanted and did it anyway.Now it has come to my attention she has been trying to inquire about me.I have forgiven her for all the things,I feel she did to hurt me.God says not to be fearful,and I will admit. I am nervous about this whole situation.I am worried we will have are same song and dance together.She is a very controlling person to begin with,and has been extremely abusive in the past.I really don't know how to handle this.

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
This ultimately comes down to your taking on a few parts of scripture...

Matthew 6:14.. For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.
(TAKE IN NOTE I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS NOT THE MOST HOLY WAY OR THAT WAY IS!!! THE MOST HOLY WAY IS THE ONE GOD WILL PUT IN YOUR HEART, I AM JUST EXPLAINING DIFFERENT WAYS TO ACT UPON THIS)
Now this scripture can be put multiple ways into this, You can take it as you are to forgive but stay cautious against your mom. E.g. you repent and tell God you forgive her, (maybe even let word get through the grape vine you forgive her) but you stay cautious against the person she is and keep your distance...

This would be best put: if you got bitten by a dog, you wouldn't shoot it or press charges against the owner, but you would stay your distance from now on to keep from getting bit again...

Or you can take it another way and think maybe you should pursue forgiveness not only to God but show it publicly too... God could be asking you to try to regain a relationship with your mother... Which may be why you were granted this knowledge that she is wanting to regain a relationship with you...
Granted this is a harder route but it is also a lot more risky for your own spirituality... For you can become enveloped in the sense of a euphoria that you were holy enough to show repentance. Which I would argue is the most devastating thing that can happen out of all of this...

This could be best explained by: If you give a child a real glass cup and tell them not to brake it and they end up dropping it... You won't ban them from cups forever but you give them a little time and break and when they mature you try it again.

Both answers are correct and are in my opinion glorifying God... Some will argue that only the second is glorifying God, but I will argue it is not our public appearance that saves us and glorifies God but our heart; hence why God tells people to pray alone and behind a door rather then in a street corner... (Matthew 6:5-18) If anyone disagree's with that verse I used then you might have overlooked my antithesis on the second possibility..

I also think the answer to your question lies on how strong in faith you are, and not what the possibilities are or the future acts were...

So instead of asking what could happen, ask am I strong enough for me to do this or that.... I also think if you try to predict what will happen if you two meet again (face to face) that your imagination will run wild and give you a false account of your mothers heart...

Last edited:

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
I also think Matthew 18 would be extremely helpful for your answer as well... (reason I didn't put it down is because I read the other verses before posting and wanted to make sure this one stacked up with what I posted)

The Parable of the Unmerciful Servant

21 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?”

22 Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.[g]

23 “Therefore, the kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. 24 As he began the settlement, a man who owed him ten thousand bags of gold[h] was brought to him. 25 Since he was not able to pay, the master ordered that he and his wife and his children and all that he had be sold to repay the debt.

26 “At this the servant fell on his knees before him. ‘Be patient with me,’ he begged, ‘and I will pay back everything.’ 27 The servant’s master took pity on him, canceled the debt and let him go.

28 “But when that servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred silver coins. He grabbed him and began to choke him. ‘Pay back what you owe me!’ he demanded.

29 “His fellow servant fell to his knees and begged him, ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay it back.’

30 “But he refused. Instead, he went off and had the man thrown into prison until he could pay the debt. 31 When the other servants saw what had happened, they were outraged and went and told their master everything that had happened.

32 “Then the master called the servant in. ‘You wicked servant,’ he said, ‘I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. 33 Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?’ 34 In anger his master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed.

35 “This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother or sister from your heart.”

L

letti

This ultimately comes down to your taking on a few parts of scripture...

Matthew 6:14.. For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.
(TAKE IN NOTE I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS NOT THE MOST HOLY WAY OR THAT WAY IS!!! THE MOST HOLY WAY IS THE ONE GOD WILL PUT IN YOUR HEART, I AM JUST EXPLAINING DIFFERENT WAYS TO ACT UPON THIS)
Now this scripture can be put multiple ways into this, You can take it as you are to forgive but stay cautious against your mom. E.g. you repent and tell God you forgive her, (maybe even let word get through the grape vine you forgive her) but you stay cautious against the person she is and keep your distance...

This would be best put: if you got bitten by a dog, you wouldn't shoot it or press charges against the owner, but you would stay your distance from now on to keep from getting bit again...

Or you can take it another way and think maybe you should pursue forgiveness not only to God but show it publicly too... God could be asking you to try to regain a relationship with your mother... Which may be why you were granted this knowledge that she is wanting to regain a relationship with you...
Granted this is a harder route but it is also a lot more risky for your own spirituality... For you can become enveloped in the sense of a euphoria that you were holy enough to show repentance. Which I would argue is the most devastating thing that can happen out of all of this...

This could be best explained by: If you give a child a real glass cup and tell them not to brake it and they end up dropping it... You won't ban them from cups forever but you give them a little time and break and when they mature you try it again.

Both answers are correct and are in my opinion glorifying God... Some will argue that only the second is glorifying God, but I will argue it is not our public appearance that saves us and glorifies God but our heart; hence why God tells people to pray alone and behind a door rather then in a street corner... (Matthew 6:5-18) If anyone disagree's with that verse I used then you might have overlooked my antithesis on the second possibility..

I also think the answer to your question lies on how strong in faith you are, and not what the possibilities are or the future acts were...

So instead of asking what could happen, ask am I strong enough for me to do this or that.... I also think if you try to predict what will happen if you two meet again (face to face) that your imagination will run wild and give you a false account of your mothers heart...
Thank you,I think you have figured it out quite well actually.I know this has pained my heart so many yrs even now I have a tendency to cry.I'f I had absolutely no good times or memories at all I doubt I would have any pain or tears.My mother suffers from a mental illness a serious one,that she refuses treatment for.That is why it all became bad.I do forgive,I ask God to keep her safe and I pray one day we can reconcile.I am taking a big risk I feel as you said if a dog bit you would you chance it again.I will pray about this and wait til I find out the best way to go about it.

L

letti

I guess,I am confused I know in my heart I forgive.She stated to my father she was unsure if she wanted to speak with me.I do not know if she is afraid to try or what.I do not if she came to me, I might break down in tears but I would not turn her away.A lot of pain is still there for me,but I hold no grudges.Things are so complicated with this entire situation.

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
Maybe the best corse of action the is to let your mother decide... Tell your father that you are willingly to see your mother again, but explain why you are in such a painful situation and what this whole thing has done in your life, emotionally and physically... And let word get down the grape vine that you still love your mother, and that you would be willing to regain a relationship...

These types of problems are never solved by a quick pep talk or one apology... This is going to take a lot of time no matter what course you take... But I think you should let your father know you forgive her...

Nov 7, 2012
discord
and softly say your tired of this family not having any harmony.

hope everything goes well.

L

letti

Yes,I am going to speak with him more about it.I did let him know that I hold no grudges.I'f she wants to talk, I am ready,and I am going to tell him to pass that on.This as you said will take time.Thank you for trying to help.

A

Arlene89

Hey Letti,
I know how it feels. I was physically abused by my mother for many, many years and at 20 years of age, she told me there was no love left for me at home and that she wanted me out of the house within the next few days. I was angry, I was hurt, I was angry at God (this all took place before I came back to the Lord), and it destroyed me so much to have my own mother pour that in to my life. I didn't speak to her for a year, but eventually she sort to come back in to my life.

I went through so many mixed emotions when my brother told me of my mother's intentions, but because I wasn't ready to forgive her, the beginnings of our reconciliation was painful and forced. I didn't trust her and I still saw her as my enemy. I remember when we saw each other again for the first time in 12 months, I felt like a child. I wanted to so badly fall apart in her arms and to cry for hours, and yet I wanted to cause her the same kind of pain she caused me. During that first encounter, She slipped me an envelope which had $400 in it. She told me there was more of that if I wanted it. At the time, I was furious that she was trying to buy my love. But only now with a renewed heart can I say this is how she saw 'love'.

I finally came back to the Lord a year and a half after our reconciliation and the ground I have covered over the last 10 months have been ground breaking compared to the year and a half without the Lord. Before I accepted God as my Saviour, I spent most of my time meddling in the pain my parents caused me and acting on that rejection and heart ache. I finally died to myself and cried out to God. I received tremendous healing in the first six months. Although I was in such a high coming back to God, I eventually found myself living out of my car while earning $180 a week. After a week of that, I humbly asked to move back in with my parents. It was hard, mainly because I God pointed out that I still had unforgiveness in my heart. I argued with God, I said, "God, surely I live under the same roof as my mother and I help her out, isn't this forgiveness?" and boy did he prod a sore spot in my heart, as well as lovingly beckoning me to forgive her again so he could heal me.

I was so afraid of moving back in with my parents after the way I had to depart from them. I was scared I would return to my old bedroom and have all the pain and anguish flood my heart again. I was worried I would look at the corner of the living room and remember that I was once curled up in that very same spot, while my mother towered over me, breaking me apart with her words and with her hands. But I didn't have that. When I lifted all of my pain to Jesus, he washed it all away and all the memories from the past felt like some distant dream.

Currently, I am still living with my parents. And you know why we serve a GOOD GOD? Because he is now using me to minister to my family and to be the one to reconcile us together. He is working through me to show HIS love through my actions and through my changed heart, to show my mother what the LOVE of the FATHER looks like. I thought I could never love my mother again. I thought I would forever be the product of the hurt and pain of the past. But the Lord has lifted me out of the ashes and out of the pit, and He wants my mother to be healed and He wants myself as well to be healed. And I thought that being where I am now would never work, but God has used what was broken, He has used what seemed impossible, and HE IS OPENING ALL POSSIBILITIES. Possibilities for healing, possibilities for salvation, possibilities for a united family in Christ. As soon as I gave this all to Him, I have seen miracle after miracle in myself and in this family.

So I encourage you, cry out to Him and place it all in His hands. You can't change people, but God can work behind the scene and do things that you can't even begin to imagine. God loves family. He loves togetherness. And if this of God, then He will make the way. If all goes well, then give glory and praise to God. If all doesn't go well, give glory and praise to God. Either way, know and understand that He knows what is best for you.

It is a process. Don't expect leaps and bounds. But for every victory, celebrate. I know it is different for your situation because it has been a very, very long time, but I pray God will give you the peace and tranquillity of spirit to approach he situation and to take the first step. God bless you.

- Arlene

L

letti

Hey Letti,
I know how it feels. I was physically abused by my mother for many, many years and at 20 years of age, she told me there was no love left for me at home and that she wanted me out of the house within the next few days. I was angry, I was hurt, I was angry at God (this all took place before I came back to the Lord), and it destroyed me so much to have my own mother pour that in to my life. I didn't speak to her for a year, but eventually she sort to come back in to my life.

I went through so many mixed emotions when my brother told me of my mother's intentions, but because I wasn't ready to forgive her, the beginnings of our reconciliation was painful and forced. I didn't trust her and I still saw her as my enemy. I remember when we saw each other again for the first time in 12 months, I felt like a child. I wanted to so badly fall apart in her arms and to cry for hours, and yet I wanted to cause her the same kind of pain she caused me. During that first encounter, She slipped me an envelope which had $400 in it. She told me there was more of that if I wanted it. At the time, I was furious that she was trying to buy my love. But only now with a renewed heart can I say this is how she saw 'love'.

I finally came back to the Lord a year and a half after our reconciliation and the ground I have covered over the last 10 months have been ground breaking compared to the year and a half without the Lord. Before I accepted God as my Saviour, I spent most of my time meddling in the pain my parents caused me and acting on that rejection and heart ache. I finally died to myself and cried out to God. I received tremendous healing in the first six months. Although I was in such a high coming back to God, I eventually found myself living out of my car while earning $180 a week. After a week of that, I humbly asked to move back in with my parents. It was hard, mainly because I God pointed out that I still had unforgiveness in my heart. I argued with God, I said, "God, surely I live under the same roof as my mother and I help her out, isn't this forgiveness?" and boy did he prod a sore spot in my heart, as well as lovingly beckoning me to forgive her again so he could heal me.

I was so afraid of moving back in with my parents after the way I had to depart from them. I was scared I would return to my old bedroom and have all the pain and anguish flood my heart again. I was worried I would look at the corner of the living room and remember that I was once curled up in that very same spot, while my mother towered over me, breaking me apart with her words and with her hands. But I didn't have that. When I lifted all of my pain to Jesus, he washed it all away and all the memories from the past felt like some distant dream.

Currently, I am still living with my parents. And you know why we serve a GOOD GOD? Because he is now using me to minister to my family and to be the one to reconcile us together. He is working through me to show HIS love through my actions and through my changed heart, to show my mother what the LOVE of the FATHER looks like. I thought I could never love my mother again. I thought I would forever be the product of the hurt and pain of the past. But the Lord has lifted me out of the ashes and out of the pit, and He wants my mother to be healed and He wants myself as well to be healed. And I thought that being where I am now would never work, but God has used what was broken, He has used what seemed impossible, and HE IS OPENING ALL POSSIBILITIES. Possibilities for healing, possibilities for salvation, possibilities for a united family in Christ. As soon as I gave this all to Him, I have seen miracle after miracle in myself and in this family.

So I encourage you, cry out to Him and place it all in His hands. You can't change people, but God can work behind the scene and do things that you can't even begin to imagine. God loves family. He loves togetherness. And if this of God, then He will make the way. If all goes well, then give glory and praise to God. If all doesn't go well, give glory and praise to God. Either way, know and understand that He knows what is best for you.

It is a process. Don't expect leaps and bounds. But for every victory, celebrate. I know it is different for your situation because it has been a very, very long time, but I pray God will give you the peace and tranquillity of spirit to approach he situation and to take the first step. God bless you.

- Arlene
God Bless you Arlene,I can relate to a whole lot, of what you have shared with me just now.Sometimes,I believe out of our pain and despair, comes something greater.My experiences have turned out to be bitter sweet.God has done a great work in me for a purpose.What can be allowed to happen for a greater good.I trust it will all work out.Thank you:)

O

overcomer2

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about your pain. I will say that seems like such heavy baggage. I have not walked in your shoes with her and people who are unstable can really shake your life. I think if I had such a decision to make I would do 2 things. First, your mom may be getting older and seeing her ways were not wise, I would agree to a talk, however you still need to keep a guard over your heart until her true intensions are revealed. The first talk should include your husband at your side. He is there to simply monitor and make sure that no darts that can wound you are manifest. Make it short and somewhere public. Go slow if need be. My mother and I had alot of emotional stuff going on when I was growing up. She died a couple years ago, I was able to be with her for a couple weeks to help in her passing I'm really glad I was. This could be a really good thing for you. If it turns out that there is no reconciling go your own ways again.

J

JDecree

The situations are a little different but I reconciled with my Dad after becoming a "Christian" and I do NOT regret it. I hadn't talked to him for 6 years. He died of lung cancer 3 years after we made up. What I regret now is those missing 6 years.

R

RaneyMarie

Letti,

I will be keeping you in my prayers. I understand how hard that can be, my mother and I have not been close for many years now. I love her dearly and yes was very hurt by hurt growing up and I have forgiven her and let her know I love her every time I do speak with her. The hard part for me was to understand my mother it wasn't until God opened my eyes to see her the way He does that though I am sad we are not close I have peace with it and I keep her in my prayers because I know with the Lord there is always hope. So you understand a little bit, my mother is very mentally unstable and has a tendency to create drama if there is none, this can be very damaging to relationships. I use to get very upset at her for not seeing or changing what to me was something very obvious. God showed me the pain my mother was in and that her ability to cope is wrapped around the drama. There is nothing I can do but pray for her to see and until she is able to acknowledge what she needs to work on, she will continue to be the same. I have changed my outlook and view and really I am very sad for my mother because I now know some of the things she has gone through since childhood, things she would never say, but God allowed me to see and when I spoke with some other family members had certain things confirmed. So the best thing I can do for her now is pray that she can begin healing and let God do His work with her and I tell her I love her and show it by cards and by just being kind. I do have to keep my distance but with God I am able to do that without causing her to feel hurt. I pray to Him all the time before and after I speak with her and ask for His guidance and wisdom. He also gives me peace on the whole matter knowing it is in His hands and He is doing His work, I don't want to be the one to tie up His hands or get in the way. :)

So I know with God your situation with your mother will work out, but just remember it may not be the way you think it might work out for we always have to pray and let God's perfect will be the one that guides us. God will show you the way if you keep praying, studying His Word, and wait on Him. I know sometimes the waiting bit can be hard as we all like to have answers now, but the best answers are those we do not rush into.

Take Care and God Bless!

L

letti

Letti,

I will be keeping you in my prayers. I understand how hard that can be, my mother and I have not been close for many years now. I love her dearly and yes was very hurt by hurt growing up and I have forgiven her and let her know I love her every time I do speak with her. The hard part for me was to understand my mother it wasn't until God opened my eyes to see her the way He does that though I am sad we are not close I have peace with it and I keep her in my prayers because I know with the Lord there is always hope. So you understand a little bit, my mother is very mentally unstable and has a tendency to create drama if there is none, this can be very damaging to relationships. I use to get very upset at her for not seeing or changing what to me was something very obvious. God showed me the pain my mother was in and that her ability to cope is wrapped around the drama. There is nothing I can do but pray for her to see and until she is able to acknowledge what she needs to work on, she will continue to be the same. I have changed my outlook and view and really I am very sad for my mother because I now know some of the things she has gone through since childhood, things she would never say, but God allowed me to see and when I spoke with some other family members had certain things confirmed. So the best thing I can do for her now is pray that she can begin healing and let God do His work with her and I tell her I love her and show it by cards and by just being kind. I do have to keep my distance but with God I am able to do that without causing her to feel hurt. I pray to Him all the time before and after I speak with her and ask for His guidance and wisdom. He also gives me peace on the whole matter knowing it is in His hands and He is doing His work, I don't want to be the one to tie up His hands or get in the way. :)

So I know with God your situation with your mother will work out, but just remember it may not be the way you think it might work out for we always have to pray and let God's perfect will be the one that guides us. God will show you the way if you keep praying, studying His Word, and wait on Him. I know sometimes the waiting bit can be hard as we all like to have answers now, but the best answers are those we do not rush into.

Take Care and God Bless!
Thank you,Raneymarie:)

Oct 12, 2013
"Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do".

Your mother may have changed.
I had such a mother, but, it was the best thing for me.
My pain led me to God.