I deflect therefore I can. (Fancy ways for justifying sin.)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

1still_waters

We know the ways of God.
Straight up.
We know what He wants.

But for some reason, there is something within us, that tries to outright justify disobedience.

And you know what?

We're good at it.

We're even good at convincing ourselves it's ok to do.

Sometimes we convince ourselves we're right in doing it.

We see said command.
We see our desire to violate said command.
We come up with a fancy, right sounding justification for violating a command.
We convince ourself it's ok to do.
We convince ourself it's right to do.
We may even find a way to make someone else look evil, so the attention gets put on them, and not self, then it's easier to disobey when it's about their evilness, and not our disobedience.

We deflect God's command onto our trash heap of disobedience.

Then we carry on with our self-justified disobedience.

We deflect, therefore we can.

Last edited:
G

godsgrl6

I like what you said here. I've never heard it quite like that. Thx and blessings!

AsifinPassing

Jul 13, 2010
One of the penalties of sin is our acceptance of it.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
I heard a sermon a few months ago about how the concept of "sin" has virtually disappeared from our culture.

"It's not 'sin', it's 'making a mistake'". "You're not a 'sinner', you're just 'someone who makes mistakes.'" (Only human, etc. "It's not your fault.")

Now I know that of course we all do make mistakes, but we become more and more reluctant to call them "sin". I personally think that's the biggest challenge to the church and evangelizing today--trying to actually convince someone they are a sinner and therefore need Jesus' redemption.

We all want to think of ourselves as the victim ("I'm unhappy, I went through a terrible childhood, such-and-such happened to me, I'm the one who was wronged in the first placed, etc.") and don't see ourselves as being the ones who have offended God.

Z

zaoman32

I was actually told that once we accept Jesus and start following God we would just automatically stop sinning. True story.

J

jkalyna

:p:D I LIKE THIS. WHEN I FIRST READ THIS I THOUGHT IT WAS SPELLED WRONGE. BUT IT IS RIGHT. TO DEFLECT MEANS; TO TURN FROM A STRAIGHT COURSE, A FIXED DIRECTION. LOSING OUR FOCUS AS BELIEVERS. I LIKE THE SCRIPTURE THAT SAYS, MY FACE IS FIXED LIKE FLINT, TOWARDS THE LORD. THE WAY IS STRAIGHT AND NARROW. I THOUGHT IT SAID TO DEFECT, BUT ALSO LIKE DEFLECT, DEFECT, MEANS , TO DISOWN ALLEGIANCE TO ONES COUNTRY AND TAKE UP RESIDENCE IN ANOTHER. TO MANY TURNS LEAD TO A DEAD END. NOT WHAT I LIKE. I THINK I'LL CONTINUE ON THE STRAIGHT, AND FIXED DIRECTION. :):D

M

MidniteWelder

I heard a sermon a few months ago about how the concept of "sin" has virtually disappeared from our culture.

"It's not 'sin', it's 'making a mistake'". "You're not a 'sinner', you're just 'someone who makes mistakes.'" (Only human, etc. "It's not your fault.")

Now I know that of course we all do make mistakes, but we become more and more reluctant to call them "sin". I personally think that's the biggest challenge to the church and evangelizing today--trying to actually convince someone they are a sinner and therefore need Jesus' redemption.

We all want to think of ourselves as the victim ("I'm unhappy, I went through a terrible childhood, such-and-such happened to me, I'm the one who was wronged in the first placed, etc.") and don't see ourselves as being the ones who have offended God.

Nail on the head Seoulsearch
It does get tiring hearing people make excuses to relieve themselves of responsibility
victim or not
their own fault or not
in order to justify the quote "mistakes" (sin)
When instead looking at oneself first such as the example of the humble tax collector and owning up
is a more beneficial way toward closeness to God in always turning to him
as opposed to relying on well......anything other than him, including ourselves
Nice Insight :)

N

NodMyHeadLikeYeah

Great response Kim... Like welder said you hit the nail on the head.

The big problem with playing the victim is that were blaming God for our sin.

Well God if you wouldn't have allowed that bad thing to happen i wouldn't have done this or that.

I mean can you imagine God sitting in Heaven going... Ohhh poor you! You go ahead and keep on sinning, i know you had just such a terrible childhood so i totally understand!

J

Jullianna

We know the ways of God.
Straight up.
We know what He wants.

But for some reason, there is something within us, that tries to outright justify disobedience.

And you know what?

We're good at it.

We're even good at convincing ourselves it's ok to do.

Sometimes we convince ourselves we're right in doing it.

We see said command.
We see our desire to violate said command.
We come up with a fancy, right sounding justification for violating a command.
We convince ourself it's ok to do.
We convince ourself it's right to do.
We may even find a way to make someone else look evil, so the attention gets put on them, and not self, then it's easier to disobey when it's about their evilness, and not our disobedience.

We deflect God's command onto our trash heap of disobedience.

Then we carry on with our self-justified disobedience.

We deflect, therefore we can.
Good post, Stilly. I don't know about deflection, but I know there are times when I might as well be sticking my fingers in my ears and humming to drown out the Truth because it isn't always what I want to hear at the time. Truth can lead us to some very difficult decisions, can't it? I'm thankful that the voice of Truth doesn't give up on me, but gets louder and louder until it breaks through all of that stupid. It's been doing that for a couple of days now as a matter of fact.