I dont know what else to do

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

DesiredHaven

Last night our rottiweiler become ill. She had wanted to go outside (still able to walk just fine) but didnt make and ended up urinating at the door, and it was very bloody.

It was too late to call the vet, that would have to wait till the morning.

She wanted to go outside still and went outside (on her own) but a couple hours later I had to search for her because she never returned to the door to come back in. I found her in the outside doghouse (which she never goes into) she just wouldnt leave it and come in from outside. My husband (who is at work now) carried her in from outside early this morning (around 4:30 AM) and laid her on the padded bed set up in the atrium area.

She is older (I know its her time). First thing this morning I called the vet, and we have a visiting vet here (because we live rurally and have farm animals) and I am glad for them because I am unable to lift any of my animals and take them myself.

The soonest they can be here is around 6 PM.

Meanwhile, she has managed to move herself off her bed (even she is unable to walk). I cannot lift her (with my own bad back) to put her back on. So she is currently laying on the tile out there. That cant be comfortable for her, and I dont know what else to do to make it more comfortable for her.

Im at a loss, any suggestions?

Should I be concerned with that at this point?

She is sleeping as I look over at her (and I am about 7 feet from her) on the opposite side of the glass from where she is. So I suppose she is not too uncomfortable there.

She will not drink anything either.

Like what else can I do for her?

Any help suggestions would be appreciated, we have more then a few hours before they come.

Thanks

PennEd

Apr 22, 2013
Last night our rottiweiler become ill. She had wanted to go outside (still able to walk just fine) but didnt make and ended up urinating at the door, and it was very bloody.

It was too late to call the vet, that would have to wait till the morning.

She wanted to go outside still and went outside (on her own) but a couple hours later I had to search for her because she never returned to the door to come back in. I found her in the outside doghouse (which she never goes into) she just wouldnt leave it and come in from outside. My husband (who is at work now) carried her in from outside early this morning (around 4:30 AM) and laid her on the padded bed set up in the atrium area.

She is older (I know its her time). First thing this morning I called the vet, and we have a visiting vet here (because we live rurally and have farm animals) and I am glad for them because I am unable to lift any of my animals and take them myself.

The soonest they can be here is around 6 PM.

Meanwhile, she has managed to move herself off her bed (even she is unable to walk). I cannot lift her (with my own bad back) to put her back on. So she is currently laying on the tile out there. That cant be comfortable for her, and I dont know what else to do to make it more comfortable for her.

Im at a loss, any suggestions?

Should I be concerned with that at this point?

She is sleeping as I look over at her (and I am about 7 feet from her) on the opposite side of the glass from where she is. So I suppose she is not too uncomfortable there.

She will not drink anything either.

Like what else can I do for her?

Any help suggestions would be appreciated, we have more then a few hours before they come.

Thanks
Nothing really. It is incredibly painful to lose what I consider a member of the family. The dog needs to be put to sleep. I would say my goodbyes and NOT be present during injections. We made that mistake and it benefitted no one, and left an ugly last vision of our Jasper.

P.S. The only cure for us was to get another puppy. We could only wait 3 months before we knew we had to get one.

I pray Jesus will ease your mind.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
she obviously has something terribly wrong with her and is suffering..you said she's old and you know it's her time to go home. I know it's gonna be hard for you but the kindest thing to do for her is put her to sleep and end her suffering. Don't try to move her, but keep a bowl of water next to her in case she wants to drink. Keep her as still as possible. Animals cant tell us when their suffering--its up to us to recognize the symptoms. She has no quality of life right now. Think of it this way: if you were her and were suffering and knew it was your time, wouldn't you want her to let you go in peace? Do the right thing when the vet comes, and have him put her to sleep..

S

soccermom19

I am truly sorry to hear this. She may have a fever or just be feeling hot. Animals will lay on cool surfaces like tile floors when they are too hot. If she seems comfortable and worked to put herself there, I would let her stay. Just be there for her. Show her love by petting her, scratching her, laying with her, or whatever she enjoys until the vet comes. You can try to hand feed and water her but she may not take it.
I am praying for you and her. God Bless!

S

sassylady

If she is sleeping she has to be more comfortable than if she is awake. There is nothing else you can do but pray for her to have relief until they come.

D

DesiredHaven

Nothing really. It is incredibly painful to lose what I consider a member of the family. The dog needs to be put to sleep. I would say my goodbyes and NOT be present during injections. We made that mistake and it benefitted no one, and left an ugly last vision of our Jasper.

P.S. The only cure for us was to get another puppy. We could only wait 3 months before we knew we had to get one.

I pray Jesus will ease your mind.

Hey thanks PennEd, God bless

And yes she will be put to sleep when they arrive.

And I am okay emotionally too though. I am not an animal lover (in the sense of getting overly attached or emotional with them). I dont mean to make myself sound cold though (Im not) its just my husband is more the dog lover. And I just got off the phone with him (and he is in tears). And hate when he does that because I begin to feel bad that I dont actually get as emotional as he does.

I just accept it more as a matter of fact (with a distance between). But then I feel bad that I can do that, as if maybe there is something wrong with me or something.

But I am the one present thru every one of them (and I hate that too)

There was one that I did not sit thru which always bothered me (even to this day). So I am just the opposite, I feel someone has to be there (whether it is him or myself). I had made the exception (of not being there) for our first dog (who was a german shepherd) and because our daughter was with me at the time. And I just couldnt do it because she was too little. But I still always hated myself for leaving our first dog (during that time). Even to this day that still bothers me.

We still have 3 other dogs, they are just all older as are our other animals

I get mad at my husband because he will not take time off of work, and I always feel when its time to put them down, its on me. And then I sit here all day (the day of) and I am tortured by my own inability to do much for them (other then make that phonecall) and wait all day (watching them) and then sitting through this with each of them (alone). That just really bothers. He can take off while I have to deal with it. It should be him with them (they adore him). Im just that lady that opens the door to the bathroom for them. That sounded weird but its true. He makes all the fuss (and I know they would be far more comforted if he were with them (not me).

Thanks, God bless you

D

DesiredHaven

she obviously has something terribly wrong with her and is suffering..you said she's old and you know it's her time to go home. I know it's gonna be hard for you but the kindest thing to do for her is put her to sleep and end her suffering. Don't try to move her, but keep a bowl of water next to her in case she wants to drink. Keep her as still as possible. Animals cant tell us when their suffering--its up to us to recognize the symptoms. She has no quality of life right now. Think of it this way: if you were her and were suffering and knew it was your time, wouldn't you want her to let you go in peace? Do the right thing when the vet comes, and have him put her to sleep..
Yes, I am going to do that, shes like 14 years old, and its her time, she will be put down this evening. I just didnt know what else I could do for her, cant lift her (as I know if you were here you couldnt do that) we both have bad backs.

Its that waiting for them to come that I hate.

I have around 5 hours to go, just want to be sure she makes it comfortably until then

(Thanks sis) God bless you

D

DesiredHaven

I am truly sorry to hear this. She may have a fever or just be feeling hot. Animals will lay on cool surfaces like tile floors when they are too hot. If she seems comfortable and worked to put herself there, I would let her stay. Just be there for her. Show her love by petting her, scratching her, laying with her, or whatever she enjoys until the vet comes. You can try to hand feed and water her but she may not take it.
I am praying for you and her. God Bless!
Thank you soccermom, I never would have that of that, thank you, that would make sense as to why she wanted off her bed. That made me feel better as well, that I dont need to worry about her being on her bed so much.

Thanks a bunch sis, God bless you as well

D

DesiredHaven

If she is sleeping she has to be more comfortable than if she is awake. There is nothing else you can do but pray for her to have relief until they come.
Your probably right, thanks sassylady,

God bless you as well

D

DesiredHaven

Thank you soccermom, I never would have that of that, thank you, that would make sense as to why she wanted off her bed. That made me feel better as well, that I dont need to worry about her being on her bed so much.

Thanks a bunch sis, God bless you as well
Sorry I typoed Rottweiler in my first post and left out "I never would have THOUGHT that"...

I couldnt edit, so I was added that in here

J

JustAnotherUser

I'm no expert and I'm sure only a vet can know, but it sounds like it has something to do with her either urinary build up or gallstones (apparently dogs can get them). How old is she? Have you noticed any changes no matter how minor they were before it led up to this? Not saying you're a bad person for not doing much while noticing, but especially with age it would rise a little more concern.

Hopefully the outcome will turn out to be for the best. If it's something that will eventually take her out then I would suggest to euthanize, but it won't be easy on your behalf either. Keep us updated.

D

DesiredHaven

I'm no expert and I'm sure only a vet can know, but it sounds like it has something to do with her either urinary build up or gallstones (apparently dogs can get them). How old is she? Have you noticed any changes no matter how minor they were before it led up to this? Not saying you're a bad person for not doing much while noticing, but especially with age it would rise a little more concern.

Hopefully the outcome will turn out to be for the best. If it's something that will eventually take her out then I would suggest to euthanize, but it won't be easy on your behalf either. Keep us updated.
Hi Justanotheruser, God bless

Shes 14 years old. For a rottweiler that is beyond their 9-12 years life span.

This was rather sudden, even though we know she was getting up in age.

The only thing I can think of is a couple of months back she was doing something strange that I had noted and asked about before, which was doing her business on the deck and refusing to go out on the grass. At first I thought, what was wrong with her to do that, and then I thought, what is wrong with the grass? That was it, but she has always been a bit quirky. She came with this house when we moved here in 2003. She was a resident on the property already already. Our local mailman was the one who informed us that she belonged to a formerly abusive situation when I asked "whose dog is this"? Did he know. So she was staying on our property all the while it was vacant, I would suppose to get away from that. We took her in, but shes often very hard to read for either of us typically.

I just called my husband to return home, because this isnt going too well

God bless you

J

JustAnotherUser

I'm very sorry. She's has lived long and luckily living out the rest of it with people who care for her. People hold onto the stigma that her breed along with a few others are dangerous and who knows where she would've ended up.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
My wife got a little sign she put up on the kitchen wall that says cats leave paw prints on our heart. I'm quite certain that applies to dogs as well.

I do not profess to understand why but the older I get the more this kind of thing breaks my heart.

One day I'm certain my Lord will explain it to me. I rejoice to think of that moment.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

D

DesiredHaven

My wife got a little sign she put up on the kitchen wall that says cats leave paw prints on our heart. I'm quite certain that applies to dogs as well.

I do not profess to understand why but the older I get the more this kind of thing breaks my heart.

One day I'm certain my Lord will explain it to me. I rejoice to think of that moment.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Yeah exactly, and its probably because as you get older you are burying every one you love (whether human or animal) more often, and you can only take so much heartbreak I suppose.

Human loss has actually helped me to keep a pets loss in a better perspective

Afterall we are more valuable then many sparrows and much more then sheep even. The loss of a pet doesnt always affect me so much (in itself) its more like howso that will. I dont like to see any animal suffer.

Our God richly bless you Roger

D

DesiredHaven

Well, our girl is no longer in any discomfort thank God

The vet come (what a real kind man he is too) and he put her down without any problems

She will be missed.

This is our Roxy, its the only picture I have of her and this isnt such a great picture but she is the one in the front

Roxy Bo and Daisy.jpg

Rest in peace girl

(Thank you guys too, and God richly bless you)

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
you did the right thing for her, sis.. she will always be in your memories..if there's a doggy heaven, I'm sure she's there.. :)

S

soccermom19

Rest in Peace Roxy!