I hate receiving gifts

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
May 9, 2012
One thing I hate is having to receive gifts with happiness. "What brought this up?" one might ask. Well, my birthday is on Thursday and people keep asking me where I want to go and what I want for my birthday. I want to tell them I don't want to do anything, go anywhere, or get anything; however, I also feel a bit rude at the same time. I hate the feeling of receiving things and feeling like I am obligated to give them something in return. This is also one of the reasons I despise Christmas. (I can't afford anything no matter what your definition of cheap is.) So, when people buy me things, I feel bad inside.

So, let's have a conversation. Do you love/hate receiving gifts? And why? (That's the juicy part)

May 3, 2013
Wow! Now I SEE you are another hermit.... Ja! Ja! I would stare at you and tell: "How come you are LIKE ME?" Ha! Ha! (Iḿ not the only Grinch I thought I knew). The good news is YOUŔE NOT OBLIGATED, not force or compelled. Salvabella, in hear, posted something regarding her Italian culture. These people seem to "buy" you but, in fact, they try to give more than they possible can. What would you think if a man or woman asks you for the color of a car (of a house) he/she have bought for you? You shrink (I shrink) but there are people who do not manipulate (but too many chances are involved). "You don't deserve the present I gave you last week" -They may say- "You are not behaving", "You are not the person I thought you were" or "You aren't doing what was supposed YOU TO DO". I'm happy GOD IS NOT LILKE THAT (and also happy I took this picture you gave me on how your heart is). 3>

Last edited:

Petals

Nov 29, 2012
I personally find it hard to receive gifts lol, cos most of the time I don't like what I receive, not cos I don't think what they've given me is good enough, in fact if the person has spent lots of money on the present that they have given me, it would make me feel bad & like you said Chica, you'd feel obliged to give them something back in return.

Last edited:
A

allthisstuff

I can relate to your situation since I'm not strong enough financially to buy everyone nice gifts in return. But I think it's important to learn how to receive with thanksgiving. It's a part of growing up. One should learn how to receive and also give.

In relation to Christ, we received first. It is when we learn to receive His gift that we learn to give. We don't give back to Christ because He gave to us. We give to Christ because we love Him.

Going back to material possessions and physical gifts, we don't give them presents in return just to appease social customs or tradition. Doing this would be a waste of time and money. They give us gifts because they love us, and we give them gifts because we love them. If you can't afford the gift, just display your love in some other fashion. Maybe you can give them a free gift that you made or can preform. Couples can give each other massages or sons and daughters can wash their parents' cars.

The point I want to get at is that giving is a blessing itself, so, as Christians, we should know how to receive. This gives joy to the one who gives and pleasure to the one that receives.