I have a question

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

Tinker

Is it okay to like Harry Potter and Twilight? These both are Devil filled with witch magic and things. I was just wondering if you don't believe in magic or any type of witchcraft can you still watch and love those things? Please give some answers. Thanks

M

Matthew

Is it okay to like Harry Potter and Twilight? These both are Devil filled with witch magic and things. I was just wondering if you don't believe in magic or any type of witchcraft can you still watch and love those things? Please give some answers. Thanks
Not if you have good taste....:p

I don't see anything wrong as long you treat it as entertainment.

M

marjswann

I used to LOVE LOVE LOVE HP and Twilight but I stopped reading it because of the magic, witchcraft, etc...In a way it desensitized me to many supernatural things that are not of Christ. Desensitization can happen with any media or anything that is being fed to you constantly. Personally I believe that it is not something God would want us to expose ourselves to BUUUUTT if you arent convicted by Jesus then theres no reason to stop reading it. God=LOVE and if we dont do things, stop doing thing, etc ONLY OUT OF LOVE FOR CHRIST then theres no reason not to read it. This is not to offend anyone who watches or reads HP or Twilight (note: I read all 7 HP and read 3 Twilight books and I know that it doesnt teach you spells nor does it make you want a vampire to come and bite you so you can marry edward lol) but I think that when it goes again what God teaches it begins to impact the way we view Christ.

But again, When you ask is it okay...Then theres no yes or no. Its okay until God tells you its not. God is the ONLY person who determines whats right or wrong. Pray about it, read the scripture, and God will speak to you through that. :D

-MJ

N

nutmeg88

*rolls eyes* you'll find more demons creeping around in religious or hypocritical Christians than you will in Harry Potter and Twilight. Not that I like either of them, cause there a bit teeny for me, but I do like Buffy and True Blood lol So unless God has told you not to watch/read them I wouldn’t worry about what anybody else thinks.

E

elite-sky

if we wernt allowed to do anything, we wouldnt have any resposibility or any choices to make. we are able to make choices. god wants us to be responsible in everything we do. of course its ok just dont treat it like reality :)

J

Jemmie

I read Twilight and i didn't see any magic/witchcraft unless you cound the vampires abbilities but then i've read christian books where people have abbbilities like that. Harry Potter i have never read nor am i inclined to beccause that deffinitly does have witchcraft... But like others said, it depends how strong you are in the faith and you keeping in mind that this is fictional and not doing they things they did in the book.

S

sportygirl

I've never seen any reason not read HP, i dont read twilight though just because. If you feel personally God doesnt want you to read it because he knows it could affect you in some way tha you shouldnt do it. But in general I would say no.

Aug 2, 2009
As long as u dont start cooking up potions or go looking for spells it should be fine for u to see those. The danger is when young, impressionable kids see it and then they want to be like the characters.

V

vahn

Think of it this way. If Jesus were sitting next to you, would you feel that he would want you to read those books? I feel that they aren't something God would want you to involve yourself in. Some people may think it is is overcautious, but ask God for an answer.

Wonderland

May 6, 2010
Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the Lord -- Deuteronomy 18:10-12

Would you want to entertain yourself with something "detestable" to God? You need to answer that for yourself.

E

Eko

It's ok to read and enjoy those books, they are only stories thought up by creative authors with a God given talent for writing. As long as you treat them as such there's no problem. Tolkien was a devoted Christian yet his books contain magic and Wizards and he also loved mythology but it never got in the way of his Christian beliefs, infact it enhanced them. However if you find that these books get in your way of loving Jesus then you should give them up or limit how much you read them because then you do have a problem because your love of God must come first in everything.

J

Joshua175

"Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Abstain from all appearance of evil."

Yes it is wrong to delight in that which is not holy. The bible does make that clear.

L

Lyndies

A friend of mine has a strong conviction not to read or watch these kinds of books/movies......BUT I feel completely fine about it. I am not convicted at all to not read the books or watch the movies. I think it just depends on what God knows is good for you. Listen to Him. Are you convicted or not. Different people react differently to these kinds of things.

Like maybe if you were drawn to magic after reading them, it would be good for you to stay away from that sort of thing. But I would consider myself a strong Christian and I love the Twilight and Harry Potter books.

W

waitn2drive

I like to think of things this way, 'if you have to ask whether or not its wrong, chances are, it is.' God makes thing clear for us, black and white, good or bad, there is no gray area. If you have to question, that means it is completely right, so therefore, partially wrong, categorizing it in the, "gray", which isn't acceptable to God, because as He says in the Bible, when we are gray, or 'lukewarm', He wants to spit us out of His mouth.

D

depressed_angel

In my personal opinion I honestly believe it depends on the person.....I mean to me I don't have problem watching these things.....I knw what I believe in and that I believe in God and God only and nothing will change that, not a movie, person or anything for that matter.....cause this right here watching movies tht ppl claim to be '' santanic'' are not always the case I really believe it depends on whos watching them and how wrapped up one can really get in those movies....like I do think in somewut way that the Harry Potter Movies can be bad but like I said it really depends on who it is,is watching the movie...F.E.(For example)My nephew is 4 yrs old and he's watched Harry Potter before and he says he doesn't like it so as soon as he sees it on he's like ''can you change it i don't like this movie''...so see I really just think it depends on the person .....and thats just my personal opinion so I'm srry to anyone if i affended you in anyway.....