I Kissed Dating Goodbye

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Have you read I Kissed Dating Goodbye?

• Yes, I've read it cover to cover

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I read parts of it/I've skimmed through it/I've heard a lot about it

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • No, I haven't read it but I'd like to someday

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • No, I haven't read it because I don't want to

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • I haven't read it because I haven't heard of it

Votes: 8 25.0%

• Total voters
R

RICHINHEART77

Ok, I simply must bring up this book. I want to know how many of you read it and what you think of it. I read it when I was 18. I had been first published the year before. I wished I had read it when I was 13 or 14, when all my friends started dating. I gave a copy to my old church for their library and the pastor's wife, who reviewed it, said she wished she had it when she was a teenager.

It is, in a nutshell, an awesome book. The thesis of the book (in my own words) is that people who are young (under about 21) who get into serious relationships too often compromise themselves emotionally, physically and spiritually, and it's a better idea to wait until one can get married in the forseeable to get seriously involved with the opposite sex. Why shop if you can not yet afford to buy? That's just opening yourself up to temptation.

See, when I was a teenager, in youth group and other Christian books and stuff the message about dating was very clear. There were two rules: 1. don't have sex 2. only date Christians. Harris, who's about 6 or 7 years older than me, was raised on the same thing. He brought up the whole question emotional attachement and compromise and questioned the necessity of teenaged dating in the first place. For those of us who have been through serious relationships as teenagers, he said a lot of things that we felt needed to be said.

BUT, what really bothers me about I Kissed Dating Goodbye (hereafter referred to as IKDGB) is that people don't read it for what it is. What it is: a 21 year old guy saying, "I think teenagers dating is a bad thing because..." What some people think it is: "I have Biblical proof that dating is a sin." He's not a theologian or a relationship expert. He's just some guy sharing his views, Biblically grounded they may be.

The reality is that the Bible is not as clear on how we're supposed to go from single to married. I mean, it's very clear if I was an Old Testament Jewish woman, who's husband died before I could bear him children. In that case I'd have to marry my late husband's brother. But we're not Old Testament Jews, we're 21st century Chiristians who don't practice arranged marriage. A couple is expected to know each other and even be in love before marriage. See, the author, Joshua Harris says that dating is a very modern (20th century) concept. This is true. But, this doesn't make it a bad thing. Being in love before marriage is also a relatively modern concept, and yet pretty much everyone is in agreement that's a good thing. The other thing that I think is a factor in the modern world is that we know a lot more people over the course of our lives. I mean you look at a lot of the characters in books like Anne of Green Gables, Little Women and Little House on the Prarie, they people marry other poeple that they've known their entire lives. You didn't need to look for someone who also wanted kids (kids were inevitable), was a Chrsitian (if you were a Christian you were likely surrounded by other Chrisitans and being spiritually compatible wasn't as much of a priority). People probably didn't think as much about finding someone with the same values and ideas because those things varied so much less because there wasn't the same access to information. I mean, I have a well defined world view, and I want someone with similar views. But in the 19th century, I wouldn't have much of a world view. I wouldn't even be able to vote. I mean, I might have been a member of the Abolishionists or the WCTU, but if I wasn't married to a guy who passionately supported those causes, I probably wouldn't care.

I BELIEVE THAT IF YOU ARE JUST TRING TO HAVE A GIRLFRIEND OR BOYFRIEND RELATIONSHIP JUST TO HAVE A BOYFRIEND/GIRLFRIEND YOU ARE NOT PRACTICING BIBLICAL PRINCIPLES....SOUNDS CHILDISH, IMMATURE AND NOT OF FAITH. SOUNDS LIKE ELEMENTRY, MIDDLE SCHOOL OR EVEN HIGH SCHOOL..
"WHEN I WAS A CHILD I SPAKE AS A CHILD, UNDERSTOOD AS A CHILD AND THOUGHT AS A CHILD, BUT WHEN I BECAME A MAN/WOMAN I PUT ALL THOSE CHILDISH THINGS BEHIND ME."
1 CORINTHIANS 13;11

I BELIEVE GOD SAID IN THE BEGGINING GOD CREATED MAN AND HE SAID IT WAS NOT GOOD FOR HIM TO BE ALONE SO HE MADE HIM A WOMAN....NOT WOMEN...
I BELIEVE TO LOOK TO HAVE A GIRLFRIEND/BOYFRIEND WOULD ONLY BE NESSESSARY IN GODS EYES WHEN YOU ARE CONSIDERING SOMEONE FOR MARRIAGE. WHEN YOU SAY I AM TO YOUNG TO MARRY THEN YOU ARE ACTUALLY TO YOUNG TO HAVE A BOYFRIEND/GIRLFRIEND RELATIONSHIP..
DATING IS ONLY IF YOU PLAN ON MARRING WE ARE NOT SECULAR PEOPLE WE ARE A NEW CREATION IN CHRIST JESUS.BRINGING GOD PRAISE AND GLORY TO HIS NAME.
SURE FOR THE YOUNGER PEOPLE, PEOPLE MAY LAUGH, TALK ABOUT YOU, AND YOU MAY FEEL NOT AS THE REST OF THE CROWD, BUT THAT IS FINE, FOR GOD HAS CALLED US TO BE SET APART.AT THE END WHEN YOU ARE WANTING TO MARRY AND SETTLED DOWN YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU WAITED TO HAVE A BOYFRIEND OR GIRLFRIEND JUST BE PATIENT TO FIND SOMEONE THAT IS LIKE MINDED AND YOU WILL BE IN THAT LASTING RELATIONSHIP THAT ALL YOUR FRIENDS WISH THEY HAD....
YOU WOULD HAVE A FIXED RELATIONSHIP NOT BROKEN RELATIONSHIPS.....

M

myselfdiscovery

the sequel I found was a better read

S

SocialArtist

I also enjoyed the Courtship book better. Ultimately, I found this had complicated my life more at the time (2007). It just got my mind away from natural thinking and more overthinking and pondering.

Dec 3, 2011
People need to stop reading dumb self help books, obsessing over who they will date, when they will marry, when they will kiss etc etc. The amazing thing about romance is that it will happen on its own when you meet the right person and it will just work, you will be best friends and be attracted to each other. Don't ruin it by over thinking. Remember, the more spontaneous it is, the more romantic it is!

Apr 30, 2012
wow! Man I wish I had that book back when I was a teen and pre-teen. I thouhgt i needed a guiy to define who i was. to make me feel wanted, loved, special. But instead I was destroyed, put down and ridiculed. It has taken me years since to overcome the mess i put myself in by dating at a young age, thinking it was the thing to do and that I needed someone. When in reality it wasn't and i didn't. I got pregnant at 18. I am now 22 with a beautiful little boy, but it has been tough. Of course I did it alone. The guy left me. I wish my parents had taught me things but I was in it alone as a teen and never new what i was truly getting myself into when it came to dating and what I thought love was.

I am glad you are spreading the word about this book. I think I am going to see if i can find it and read it. thank you!