Ideas for getting kids engaged with curriculum

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 5, 2021
I am currently working at a church with a bunch of kids! I love my job so much!
This is my first job working at a church and I am wondering, what are a couple ways to get distracted kids engaged?

MatthewWestfieldUK

May 13, 2021
Start with songs, nursery rhymes can be adapted to suit.
Then some 'tell me about you' stuff, because everyone loves talking about themselves.
Lastly, try using games , even board games. You can adapt existing games to suit.
And for the most distracting kids, give them a job to do and a gold star.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Howdy and welcome.
When children are distracted it's usually because of several factors depending upon their age.

But I've found that a games based curriculum can usually do ok with any age. Even something as simple as an air filled beach ball (barely enough weight to bounce) can keep them on their toes and participating and ready for having an answer.

And to keep things moving quickly you need to have lots of activities.
Kids don't do well with explanations that last over five minutes. Lots of breaks that involve games that continue to educate and use the knowledge you just gave them.
Teaching limrycs of things that just are rote memorization. (Alphabet song or "be" verbs)

Children don't have long attention spans. Work with what you got. Not with what you wish you had.

Nov 26, 2012
I am currently working at a church with a bunch of kids! I love my job so much!
This is my first job working at a church and I am wondering, what are a couple ways to get distracted kids engaged?
I can’t believe how much you look like my sister did as a young adult. Why are the kids distracted, because they are bored or because they are social? If they are bored then you can take popular movie clips to get their attention then tie it into your lesson getting participation by asking them lots of questions. If it’s because they are social then get them to work in groups to act out Bible stories. What better way to teach than have them become the Bible characters. If they are old enough you can have debates. Give them a chance to defend their faith. Usually when you argue the more convinced you become. People remember experiences. Give them something to do, not something to learn. The learning part is natural.

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Nice to meet you and glad the Lord led you to CC:) There is a Young Adult and Family Forum here where you can get even more ideas for your class. Having small prizes for answering review questions could help. God bless you and guide you in all your endeavors!