Identity in Christ

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Mooky

Hi all,
I was just wondering how one can get stronger in ones identity in Christ.And is it normal to be past your 20's and still not be sure how you fit into the scheme of things or who you really are?
Life is pretty big.And it seems like everything counts.Any thoughts?

Nov 26, 2011
Hi all,
I was just wondering how one can get stronger in ones identity in Christ.And is it normal to be past your 20's and still not be sure how you fit into the scheme of things or who you really are?
Rom 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Joh 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
Joh 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
Joh 15:6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
Joh 15:7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

Joh 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
Joh 14:22 Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?
Joh 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Jas 1:21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.
Jas 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
Mat 7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
Mat 7:25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
Mat 7:26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
Mat 7:27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Rev 22:11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.
Rev 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
Rev 22:13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
Rev 22:15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

Nov 26, 2011
What Must I do?

[video=youtube;RIhgsgGzgaA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIhgsgGzgaA[/video]

E

eternally-gratefull

One gets stronger in his understanding of their identity in Christ as they learn how truly sinful they really are, and thus obtain the capacity to realize just how much they are forgiven, and the true love of God. It is called growing in faith!

C

cfultz3

Hi all,
I was just wondering how one can get stronger in ones identity in Christ.
Keep on following God where He leads, He leads to the Light. You grow by hearkening to Him.

M

Mooky

Hey - I am a believer.This video doesnt answer the question.

M

Mooky

One gets stronger in his understanding of their identity in Christ as they learn how truly sinful they really are, and thus obtain the capacity to realize just how much they are forgiven, and the true love of God. It is called growing in faith!
Thanks.This was very helpful.

OnThisRock

Jan 20, 2011
I am getting stronger in knowing my identity from the LOVE He saturates me with. It is soooo complex and wonderful! But, I needed (and still do) clear real life examples and guidance and personal evidence from the Lord (not from others) of who I am becoming in Him. I was despised by my biological family and so deep down I did not want to be part of that identity. For years I found my identity in work as a counselor. It fulfilled me and helped me to use the pain of the past to make sense of it and help others. But I still didn't relate to those in church congregations (who just saw me as a counselor), and I still could not find a place of love. Then when I met the Lord in 2009, He changed my world. He started showing me that He is jealous for me! He has ripped me out of every snare of the devil, moved me around the entire U.S., put me in jobs that have clearly allowed me to see who He wants me to be. This is an ongoing process. Lately, He is showing up majorly as my husband and showing me I am His bride! He's a rescuer and healer, but also a mirror to my soul. At one point He put me in a job, totally unrelated to my field (for seven months) and everyone just loved me, asked about my life, how I was doing, supported me. That did sooooo much for me, to show me that He created me the way HE wanted me to be!

One of the things that has helped me, is that He got me totally alone. This was painful, but He has been slowly teaching me about how I need NO one other than HIM. Many may disagree with me on this, but He called me personally to let go of others and everyone, and to define my existence solely through what He perceives me to be, and not what others do!

Keep pressing because you are exactly where you need to be. GBU!!

A

Abiding

Im not saying God doesnt deal with us individually. But in todays "its all about me"
generation alot of people are working and looking for their very own "superduper Gods gona do mighty works" through me

A greater part of our identity in Christ is His Body. In otherwords our gifts are given to edify the body. It was never intended to give "us" a identy. Although we are members in particular we are nothing apart from the body and cant grow outside the body.

Ephesians 4:14-16

[SUP]14 [/SUP]That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
[SUP]15 [/SUP]But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
[SUP]16 [/SUP]From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

Not sure exactly what you mean "identity"

damombomb

Feb 27, 2011
Hi all,
Mabe you mean purpose for your life according to his will. Just seek and ask him to lead you and guide you.
Pray for wisdom. GB

Bookends

Aug 28, 2012
Hi all,
You maybe a bigger influence to those around you then you are aware of. For example, does your family know you are a follower of Christ? Do your neighbors know you are a Christian? Do those you work with know you are a Christian? We are not to put the light of Christ under a bowl or basket as stated in Matt. 5:15 but on a stand where it can light the whole room, which is to say all those who are in your circle of life. If Christ is the most important aspect in your life, it will shine. Do you talk and walk as the world talks and walks? You shouldn't right? Remain is Christ, stay in His Word, give Him thanks and praise continually and pray unceasingly, equip yourself of the faith of the gospel which comes from the reading of His word and be ready to give an answer to those who question your faith. I believe the more you become equipped with the armor of God the more God can and will use you, even if you don't realize what God is doing behind the scenes.

I don't really believe that God leads most of us around like a carrot hanging from a stick, but simply puts people and circumstances in our lives to witness to and or to grow from spiritually. How we respond to or from these open door opportunities is what matters most, because how we live our lives and how others see how we live matters. It matters because God uses us as change agents in individual lives and the culture to further His Kingdom.

May God bless you and be filled with His peace.

Feb 21, 2012
Hi all,
Study what/who the scriptures say you are in Christ - BELIEVE them!

Nov 26, 2011
Mabe you mean purpose for your life according to his will. Just seek and ask him to lead you and guide you.
Pray for wisdom. GB
Rom 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

1Jn 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
1Jn 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
1Jn 2:17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

Bookends

Aug 28, 2012
I am getting stronger in knowing my identity from the LOVE He saturates me with. It is soooo complex and wonderful! But, I needed (and still do) clear real life examples and guidance and personal evidence from the Lord (not from others) of who I am becoming in Him. I was despised by my biological family and so deep down I did not want to be part of that identity. For years I found my identity in work as a counselor. It fulfilled me and helped me to use the pain of the past to make sense of it and help others. But I still didn't relate to those in church congregations (who just saw me as a counselor), and I still could not find a place of love. Then when I met the Lord in 2009, He changed my world. He started showing me that He is jealous for me! He has ripped me out of every snare of the devil, moved me around the entire U.S., put me in jobs that have clearly allowed me to see who He wants me to be. This is an ongoing process. Lately, He is showing up majorly as my husband and showing me I am His bride! He's a rescuer and healer, but also a mirror to my soul. At one point He put me in a job, totally unrelated to my field (for seven months) and everyone just loved me, asked about my life, how I was doing, supported me. That did sooooo much for me, to show me that He created me the way HE wanted me to be!

One of the things that has helped me, is that He got me totally alone. This was painful, but He has been slowly teaching me about how I need NO one other than HIM. Many may disagree with me on this, but He called me personally to let go of others and everyone, and to define my existence solely through what He perceives me to be, and not what others do!

I guess I would be one of those who disagree with you. We were never meant to be a "lone ranger" in Christ, in that we need the body of Christ, the Church, and the body, the Church needs us. That is not to say, that God doesn't work in our lives individualistically either, as you clearly pointed out. Both are needed to grow in Him spiritually being edified and to edify those who belong to Christ. I Pray that you may be healed of any hurt anyone may have inflicted you with so that your gifts and others gifts may be properly realized and utilized for the advancement of His kingdom.

May you be filled with the love of Christ and have peace.

Last edited:
E

eternally-gratefull

While I agree he needs us to trust him alone. and depend solely on him.

But I disagree he wants us to be alone. He did not even send the disciples out on their own, but in twos. And even paul would not go anywhere unless he had a body of believers around him.

We are a body of Christ. not alone in Christ. it is when we are alone we are in more danger.

Aug 25, 2012
someday we should chat about this over some tea ;)

Oct 31, 2011
The other day a man told me this story: He said over 20 years ago he was a drunk. Someone took him to church where he learned about Christ and he accepted Him. This man didn't say Christ was right with the right answers, that Christ was God, that he tried to obey Christ. This man said that he gave his life to Christ. All this man said about it reminded me of the scripture in Matt 22:37 to love the Lord with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and all your strength. From what he told me his life was Christ centered, he talked about his kids, his marriage, his job as part of it. Christ in him didn't lead to drinking, so he never felt that need again.

He reminded me of Paul when Paul said "Christ lives in me".

So I am getting up a little earlier so I can start the day sitting quietly listening, being surrounded by God. I use a prayer shawl to help me. I drape it over my head, and it is as if the fleshly world is shut out and I am alone with God.

Gal_2:20 and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

M

Mooky

You maybe a bigger influence to those around you then you are aware of. For example, does your family know you are a follower of Christ? Do your neighbors know you are a Christian? Do those you work with know you are a Christian? We are not to put the light of Christ under a bowl or basket as stated in Matt. 5:15 but on a stand where it can light the whole room, which is to say all those who are in your circle of life. If Christ is the most important aspect in your life, it will shine. Do you talk and walk as the world talks and walks? You shouldn't right? Remain is Christ, stay in His Word, give Him thanks and praise continually and pray unceasingly, equip yourself of the faith of the gospel which comes from the reading of His word and be ready to give an answer to those who question your faith. I believe the more you become equipped with the armor of God the more God can and will use you, even if you don't realize what God is doing behind the scenes.

I don't really believe that God leads most of us around like a carrot hanging from a stick, but simply puts people and circumstances in our lives to witness to and or to grow from spiritually. How we respond to or from these open door opportunities is what matters most, because how we live our lives and how others see how we live matters. It matters because God uses us as change agents in individual lives and the culture to further His Kingdom.

May God bless you and be filled with His peace.
Woweeeeee!This is the kind of response I was after - practical, biblical and simple, humble wisdom.Thank-you so very much - I am taking this on board.