idolatry

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 13, 2013
If an idol is a physical representation of a god and is not alive, don't some Christians serve idols-especially Catholics? You've all seen an image of Jesus on the cross.

K

kenisyes

Some Christians serve their churches' traditions or even the Bible, rather than Jesus.

Feb 21, 2012
If an idol is a physical representation of a god and is not alive, don't some Christians serve idols-especially Catholics? You've all seen an image of Jesus on the cross.
An idol would be anything worshiped as God or worshiped above God. Do Catholics worship the images? - I'm not sure they do.

Feb 13, 2013
It doesn't matter if they kneel to the idol, just having it set up is a sin. That is the way pagans have always worshipped their idols. Just like Hindus and Buddhists also serve their idols.

C

Crazy4GODword

Having a sin set up in your heart, refusing to let it go, and going after its lust, power, or want, you are giving yourself into idolatry...

J

Jordache

Having something "set-up" does not make it an idol. You heart towards it makes it an idol. I have a picture of my dead cousin. Do I worship him? No, but his picture has been by my bed for 22 yrs and he has traveled the world with me. Some people frame their baby momentos (footprints, outfits, birth certificate). It's not an idol simply because its seen. There are many symbols in the Catholic and other liturgical church which could easily become idols. And unfortunately I think for many people they become idol out of ignorance. Many people simply don't know their true use. For instance, icons were created to represent biblical truths because there were either no bibles or the people were illiterate. Thus The Lord used those artistic representations of scripture to speak to people. However, little is known about them today and so many people worship worship the icon when it's really only a means to an end.
We are all idolatrous at times with different things in our own lies. We have all chosen something over God whether it be entertainment, emotion, pleasure, stature, or laziness. We have All done this. We should all forsake our idols, but a Catholic "idol" isn't any more harmful and idol than our Christian friendly, church accepted, "pseudo-idols". They're not pseudo at all just because we didn't bow down and recite "oh great god of sony... giver of joy... ... ...waster of time... Fryer of mind...displayer of all sorts of Godlessness". Your television is as dangerous an idol as is your car, your bank account, your iq, your own pride, or your smart phone (smart enough to distract you from hearing your pastors sermon).
My point is not that these things are evil. The point is anything can become evil and be use as a idol when your heart is allowed to become idolatrous.

starfield

Jun 13, 2009

An idol is anything that takes the place of God, be it T.V., music, money, a pastor, etc. We should ensure make God the utmost priority in our lives and give Him reverence and gratitude for showering His tremendous grace upon us.

Yes, the Catholic Church is notorious for practicing idolatry. Making an image that is supposedly Jesus and worshiping it, the rosary, praying to saints, exalting Mary, are utter blasphemy against God. God is a jealous God and exaltation should be ascribed to Him alone:
I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images (Isaiah 42:8).
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth (Exodus 20:4).
Yet I am the LORD thy God from the land of Egypt, and thou shalt know no god but me: for there is no saviour beside me (Hosea 13:4).

Not all forms of worship are acceptable unto God. Our worship to God must be through the leading of the Holy Spirit, and truth meaning that it should be according to the revealed word of God. God did not say we ought to worship or pray to Mary or saints but rather said, Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name: bring an offering, and come before him: worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness (1 Chronicles 15:29), Exalt ye the LORD our God, and worship at his footstool; for he is holy (Psalms 99:5), Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth (Philippians 2:9-10), For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus (1 Timothy 2:5), and doing otherwise is defiance of His word. The bible says that idolaters will have their part in the Lake of fire: But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death (Revelation 21:8).

False gods and graven images do not save, only Jesus saves.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
''Our heart is an idol factory'' -​John Calvin