If God knows all things, how can he not remember?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

Richie_2uk

God chooses not to remember our sins. He chooses never to bring them up again. He doesn’t forget because he cannot, but he doesn’t remember them either; that is, he will never bring them up again. Why? Because they have been forgiven in his son Jesus. If you read Hebrews 11 in the bible about great people of faith, yes they committed sins: Abraham, Moses, David, and they are just a few to mention. But you never hear of their sins listed in there, why? Because God remembers their sins no more. God had forgiven them, because they all asked for God’s forgiveness.

Another point: Jesus told us to forgive as the Father has forgiven us. Eph 4:32 So if someone does something against you then later asks for forgiveness and you forgive them, you are never ever to bring it up again. Because once you forgive, you are saying that you accept their apology and will never bring it up again. Hence were that quote came from, forgive and forget. You may not forget what they did to you, but on the other hand, you can choose not to remember it. This is what true forgiveness means for those of us who have been forgiven by Jesus.

Supporting Scriptures:

Isaiah 43:25. “I, even I, am the one who wipes out your transgressions for my own sake; and I will not remember your sins”

Heb 10: 17. “Then he adds: Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more”

Eph 4:32 “Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you

1 John 3: 19-20. “This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence. Whenever our hearts condemn us. For God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything”

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Isaiah 1:18

“Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool."

1 John 1:9

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Psalm 51:7

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Revelation 1:5

And from Jesus Christ the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of kings on earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood

1 John 1:7

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.

Matthew 26:28

For this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

Acts 3:19

Repent therefore, and turn again, that your sins may be blotted out,

Isaiah 1:16

Wash yourselves; make yourselves clean; remove the evil of your deeds from before my eyes; cease to do evil,

Ephesians 5:26

That he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word,

2 Corinthians 5:17

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.

Ezekiel 36:25

I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you shall be clean from all your uncleannesses, and from all your idols I will cleanse you.

Revelation 7:14

I said to him, “Sir, you know.” And he said to me, “These are the ones coming out of the great tribulation. They have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb."

J

JesusistheChrist

God chooses not to remember our sins. He chooses never to bring them up again. He doesn’t forget because he cannot, but he doesn’t remember them either; that is, he will never bring them up again. Why? Because they have been forgiven in his son Jesus. If you read Hebrews 11 in the bible about great people of faith, yes they committed sins: Abraham, Moses, David, and they are just a few to mention. But you never hear of their sins listed in there, why? Because God remembers their sins no more. God had forgiven them, because they all asked for God’s forgiveness.

Another point: Jesus told us to forgive as the Father has forgiven us. Eph 4:32 So if someone does something against you then later asks for forgiveness and you forgive them, you are never ever to bring it up again. Because once you forgive, you are saying that you accept their apology and will never bring it up again. Hence were that quote came from, forgive and forget. You may not forget what they did to you, but on the other hand, you can choose not to remember it. This is what true forgiveness means for those of us who have been forgiven by Jesus.

Supporting Scriptures:

Isaiah 43:25. “I, even I, am the one who wipes out your transgressions for my own sake; and I will not remember your sins”

Eph 4:32 “Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you

1 John 3: 19-20. “This then is how we know that we belong to the truth, and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence. Whenever our hearts condemn us. For God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything”
If you're going to quote Matt Slick, then please provide a link to his words or at least mention that these are his words and not your own:

https://carm.org/questions/about-god/if-god-knows-all-things-how-can-he-not-remember-our-sins

Thank you.

R

Richie_2uk

If you're going to quote Matt Slick, then please provide a link to his words or at least mention that these are his words and not your own:

https://carm.org/questions/about-god/if-god-knows-all-things-how-can-he-not-remember-our-sins

Thank you.
well thank you for reminding me, you sound like someone I know, Cough cough Didymos hehe. But I understand its respect to write down who is the author of certain things, however I read this from a booklet, though with no author or links were printed. I thought to share this on CC. Otherwise I would of shared the author or links that accompanied this write up. But thank you for your post of the link.

J

JesusistheChrist

well thank you for reminding me, you sound like someone I know, Cough cough Didymos hehe. But I understand its respect to write down who is the author of certain things, however I read this from a booklet, though with no author or links were printed. I thought to share this on CC. Otherwise I would of shared the author or links that accompanied this write up. But thank you for your post of the link.
I'm not Didymos...whoever that is. Can I get you some cough syrup? Lol. I'm sorry for calling you out in your innocence. My bad.

Budman

Mar 9, 2014
True. Being unable to remember, and choosing to not remember, are two different things.

Dec 19, 2009

Supporting Scriptures:

The Lord knows the sins we have committed, but he will no longer holdthem against us.