If you fall in love, should you get married?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 4, 2011
True Love is a Magical Religious thing. FACT. ;)

Personal perspective

A line from one of my all time favorite movies is "Happiness is only real when shared."

Dating Relationships always feel like people building towards each other, like drawing closer, exploring, revealing, sharing, etc. Its always been a process of establishing what a relationship means and what it is capable of and where it is headed. It can be fun adventurous exciting to be filled with joy at the thought of who they are and what it feels like to spend time with them. People say I love you in the midst of this, and I think they mean it. But there is way more....

But, True Love happens when there is nothing left to reveal. When its not about the exploration of each other, It is about belonging, being understood and being completely accepted. In a sense it is about taking for granted that they are the other half of the equation. It exists without limits on Expression or Trust. It is the expectation, actualization and realization that the one person we want to share the rest of our life with, we get to keep. It is the Epiphany that we make someone else as happy as they make us and there is no other acceptable possible outcome. I ceases being about each other and becomes simply moving forward through life together as One entity.

Its like the difference between buying a car and paying it off. Yeah it feels good to buy a car but, you know its yours and nothing can take it away from you, when you have the title in your hand.
OK, I think this is beautiful. And perhaps this does happen to people in real life, but I would not know. At this point in my life, I am kind of cynical, and perhaps I don't really know what 'love' really should be between a man and a woman. Like others have described, each person is an individual moving through their own particular set of circumstances. It's funny how things change over time. Through life experiences, we grow and change, and it is easier to look back on things and say "oh, yeah,..that's what was wrong with that relationship...or perhaps it wasn't really love after all." From a woman's perspective (and I am only speaking for myself, so please don't get mad at me), a quote from a movie seems to keep ringing through my head.... We accept the love we think we deserve.

I while back I was listening to a man on the radio shell out some statistics for a book he had written. He reported that most people will get engaged by 18 months after dating and will be married within 3 years. The longer a relationship goes past the 18 month mark without becoming engaged, he found that the likelihood of those people actually getting married decreased as time went on. Now don't pounce on me, I'm just telling you what he was saying. He also said that from all the woman he interviewed that were 40 and unmarried, there was a common theme. Most of them were ones that did not date alot, but would be in a 2-3 long term relationships that would end up going no where and essentially wasted their time. lol And I just about wrecked my car listening to him. But how long does it take for you to really know someone? I don't know if a year is enough time hahaha.

I think most people do the 'best' they can in the current moment in time they are in. I say this because, love could fit this beautiful description as quoted above, and these people get married,...and lets say they put Christ first,...then one falls away and has an affair. Or 2 people truly love each other, are committed, get married,..and then one finds Christ while the other turns away. Life can be very complicated. And after reading books like Love Languages, and Love is a Choice,..I am not even sure how men and women manage to keep it together anyway. Now, at 35, I wish I had Christ in my life when I was younger, and followed his plan for me. But I can't change the past, and I did the 'best' I could at the moment I was in. Ah, I wonder what life would be like now if had started out doing what God wanted...hmmm. One thing I do know now, is that our 'heart' lies to us (Beth Moore speaks about this in some of her books) and when I hear ''follow your heart'' I cringe sometimes because that may not be a good idea :).

Here is my biggest complaint with love and relationships. In my experience, there is a window of time where you are dating, and the other person is great, and they think you are great, etc. You grow to know each other really well, and those little things that at one point may be 'cute' or a minor annoyance, are greatly overlooked. All of the sudden, instead of accepting the person entirely, people seek to change the other person, or the little things are now big things. This may be after all the newness wears off, and unfortunately this may take a while for these things to surface. For example, I was in a long term relationship once, and after about a year, he started to criticize things about my personality and yes, I do tend to occasionally shred a paper napkin if I go out to eat with you :). Up until then, things were great, and I truly loved this person and felt they truly loved me. But, it took me a really long time to understand that it wasn't really a good thing after all. Even though I was committed, loved and probably married this person,..I am thankful now looking back that it did not happen. Again, I did not really begin a relationship with Christ until a few years ago,..and boy I things would have been very different if I could go back and do it all over again. But since this that relationship, I find it pops up again and again in the relationship arena and it would have to be a miracle from God for someone to put up with me and my oddities :).

Even though I've never been married, I think that love and marriage has its ups and downs, and takes work and commitment. I understand there may be days where the other person is driving you crazy, but you would fight to the death for them, and you must choose to love them (reference to the book). The butterflies may be gone but the depth of love is firmly rooted, continually growing and branching into a deeply personal, intimate love...something you work to protect..you cherish. The key point, I see in this is the foundation of Christ for which this relationship can grow in. I like to think that if you are blessed with another person to share your life with, its just that....an amazing blessing (that is if it's God's choice for you). And I think that, both people must have a strong commitment with Christ first, and wake up every day putting the needs of the other person first,..well then...I bet that would be pretty amazing.

sorry for my rant lol....thanks you all.

Jul 4, 2011
To speak my mind...*sigh* i just couldn't help it. Even though almost all the gems have already been laid out in the open XD

As awesome as falling in love feels, it's not the assurance that you have finally found "the one". It can't serve as one's radar for who deserves our lifelong devotion and commitment of loving and cherishing that person...having and holding them 'til death breaks the vow. Falling in love is like a flight of fancy...more often than not, it's based on first impressions that are unreliable gauges, specially if all you see is the best foot upfront. And, by personal experience, when you choose to see only what you want to see, which are the traits/features that appealed so much to you, that made you think "That's enough! I'm sold! He's the one i want! The rest i could just work with/fix/go around/tolerate." Sometimes, one can get so high on the love feeling, or being in-love with being in-love (if you get my drift), that we end up being foolish. We compromise our ideals, and think we've got nothing to lose, and have only everything good and awesome feelings to gain. Our bullheadedness could even come to a point when, even though everyone who cares about us tells us that we're wrong, we refuse to listen and adapt the mantra of "Love will keep us alive" and "You and me against the world". So, some folks get married based on the feeling, thinking they've got it made.

But alas, when the magic filter falls and the daydream ends...when you're no longer simply walking in the sunset, holding hands, eating ice cream and tickling each other...no longer simply sharing slow dances or romantic dinners...when reality reveals the bad tempers, harsh words, lack of maturity, selfishness and irresponsibilities as they lived together, worrying about bills, house chores, groceries, schedules, health problems...they see just how wrong they were about the choice that they made. They see that they couldn't stand each other after all...it's sad when conclusions like this are drawn. But it happens to so many couples, whose initial fiery romance end up in separation or divorce.

Marriage is a lifelong commitment. It shouldn't become a prison sentence of sorts. That's why choosing who you want to marry and spend the rest of your life with is so important. For me, it's like choosing what specialization i want to pursue in medicine. It's a big deal 'coz it will be my label. It's gonna be what i will be focusing on and will be devoting all my learning and training and service for the rest of my life. It should be something i'm passionate about, and would never tire of doing, discovering and rediscovering again and again. It took me 3 years after getting my license to decide what i really wanted to pursue. It's tough when your folks pressure you to proceed in training at once, saying time is being wasted, and that it doesn't matter what i take, as long as i finally become a resident. But i never gave in to them. I prayed hard. I don't want to make a move i will sorely regret. It's my life that's at stake, not theirs. I'm glad and at peace now that i finally set my heart on what i truly want, GOD be praised!!! :D

So that man that i will marry, he will be my label. I will bear his surname, and i want to proudly do so. Knowing that it's an honorable name that i love, respect and adore. I will be focusing on loving and supporting him in everything, and i will learn how to serve and make him happy, so therefore, he should be worthy of all that i am and have to give. Worthy and able to guard, and cherish my heart, as GOD so guides him. He should be someone that i know i truly, passionately delight myself with for all that he is, that i will never tire of being with him, discovering and rediscovering him again and again. He should be my brother in Christ, my bestfriend, my teammate, my complement. Someone who sees the real me, and completely accepts and loves me for me, as i see, accept and love him for all that he is. Someone who will grow with me deeper and deeper in the knowledge and love of our LORD, who is the center of our love, and draws us closer to HIM and to each other everyday.:)

*sigh* Now i'm wondering where could this guy be right now XD
wow!! should put this on a flyer and hand it out to people. I for one want to put this on my fridge and read it every day! Thanks for sharing this

presidente

May 29, 2013
Something to keep in mind is that you can feel all those 'in love' feelings for someone who would be a bad choice for a spouse. A prime example would be falling in love with an unbeliever. A woman could fall in love with a lazy man with a charming personality. Or maybe he's a really nice guy, but he doesn't want kids, or she does. Or maybe even worse, he doesn't want to get married. What good is it to fall in love with someone who doesn't want to get married?

It's great to have feelings, but please, if you want to get married, engage your brain. If you are a man, there are a lot of characteristics to look for in a wife in Proverbs. There are certain women it warns about: the adulterous woman and the quarrelsome woman for example. If you love a woman's passion, but you figure out she won't yield on anything, and it's either her way or you fight all the time, forget that. There are a lot of positive things to look for in Proverbs 31. Don't marry a lazy woman, or a woman with a bit of a mean and vengeful streak if you hurt her feelings. Find one who will do you good and not harm. All else being equal, it's better to marry a virgin than a non-virgin. There are plenty of passages in the Bible about virgins being desirable. It makes sense for virgin men, especially.

And women, men are supposed to work. If a man is still living in his parents garage and they are paying his insurance, he's probably not marriage material, not now anyway. If he's lazy, or lacks a very basic level of ambition to do well in life, those are some serious red flags. Of course, he needs to be a believer. Marry a man you can submit to. That's a pretty high standard.

God told Hosea to marry Gomer. Don't marry a woman like that unless God tells you to.

That's another factor in choosing a spouse. What is the Lord directing you to do? Be sensitive to how He speaks to you through His Spirit to your heart and through other people. I certainly believe the Lord directed my wife and I to get married, but I also got to know about her beliefs and values to see if she was the type of woman I should marry. She did the same for me. Somewhere early on, my questions stopped being so much would she be a good wife for me, and I was trying to figure out if I could be a good husband for her. Come to think of it, that probably says more about me loving her than warm tingly feelings, butterflies, or the feeling that she completed me. It did feel like she completed me, but I don't think a feeling like that is enough to get married over.

AzureAfire

Apr 16, 2013
wow!! should put this on a flyer and hand it out to people. I for one want to put this on my fridge and read it every day! Thanks for sharing this
Wow...i'm at a loss for words! :) it's a pleasure, and a great honor to be able to write something from the heart, and have an inspiring effect on others. Thank you, sister! :D GOD be praised and glorified!!! HE is our great Teacher, and the wonderful Author of our lives :) Let us continue to abide in HIM, as HE continues to reveal to us the beautiful mysteries of love :D *sigh!*