In 1900...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

rosh037

• The average life expectancy in America was 47.3 for women, 46.3 for men, and 33 for blacks.

[*]Only 14% of the homes in the U.S. had a bathtub.

[*]18% of American households had at least one full-time servant or domestic.

[*]Only 8% of the homes had a telephone.

[*]Policeman arrested women for smoking in public.

[*]A three-minute call from Denver to New York City cost $11.

[*]Sugar cost $0.04/pound. Eggs were $0.14/dozen. Coffee cost $0.15/pound.

[*]There were only 8,000 cars in the U.S. and only 144 miles of paved roads.

[*]The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.

[*]Alabama, Mississippi, Iowa, and Tennessee were each more heavily populated than California. With a mere 1.4 million residents, California was only the 21st most populated state in the Union.

[*]There was $46,000,000 in the U.S. Treasury.

[*]The average wage in the U.S. was $0.22/hour.

[*]The average worker made $12.98/week for 59 hours.

[*]The average American worker made between $200-$400/year.

[*]A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000/year, a dentist $2,500/year, a veterinarian between $1,500-$4,000/year, and a mechanical engineer about $5,000/year.

[*]More than 95% of all births in the U.S. took place at home.

[*]90% of all U.S. physicians had no college education. Instead, they attended medical schools, many of which were condemned in the press and by the government as "substandard."

[*]The five leading causes of death in the US were:
    1. Pneumonia and influenza
    2. Tuberculosis
    3. Diarrhea
    4. Heart disease
    5. Stroke

[*]The American flag had 45 stars. Arizona, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Hawaii and Alaska hadn't been admitted to the Union yet.

[*]The population of Las Vegas, Nevada was 30.

[*]One in ten American adults couldn't read or write.

[*]Only 6% of all Americans had graduated from high school.

[*]Only 5 percent of households consisted of people living alone while 20 percent had seven or more people.

[*]Electric traffic lights had not yet been invented.

[*]Fewer than 1 percent of the nation's men and women (age 15 and over) were divorced.

[*]There were only about 230 reported murders in the entire U.S.

[*]Public school students were led each day in prayer and Bible reading.

[*]The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower.

[*]There were no Mother's Day or Father's Day.

[*]Radio and TV had not yet been invented.

[*]The Ice Cream Cone had not yet been invented.

[*]Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and iced tea hadn't been invented.

[*]Most women only washed their hair once a month and used borax or egg yolks for shampoo.

[*]Coca Cola contained cocaine.

[*]Marijuana, heroin and morphine were all available over the counter at corner drugstores. According to one pharmacist, "Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach and the bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health."
  • Canada passed a law prohibiting poor people from entering the country for any reason.

Toska

Nov 16, 2013
Very interesting. My great-grandmother was born in 1900. I can only imagine all of the changes she saw as she grew up. I wish she were still alive, I would love to hear here tell about how it was watching America change so much.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Ok, I'm confused. Didn't you say one of the reasons you wanted to delete your account is that all people discussed here was about Western Countries and such? So you post a review of the US in 1900?

???

edited to ask: Why?

T

Tintin

In 2013, the leading cause of blindness on the Internet was due to fluorescent-coloured text. Please use the default colour or at the very least, one that is legible. Thanks.

R

rainin

My grandmother and grandfather were born in the last years of the 1800's. I feel so fortunate to have had them in my life as they taught me so much about how to live and be happy with very little as far as the material things of this world. My parents were born during the Great Depression so they taught me even more about surviving in this world with very little to work with. Looking back over all the things they taught me, I see that the most important lesson I learned was to love one another and see to my neighbors needs before my own. I learned that sharing was so important.... if we all share we all have more. Giving is something that is so hard for people to do it seems these days. One day in the next 100 years, if Jesus hasn't come back by then, someone will be writing such a thing about this century. No matter what the price of beans or the yearly wages of a man may be.... giving, sharing and loving thy neighbor will still be 3 of the most important things we can learn to do regardless of where we live east or west...north or south.

R

rainin

In 2013, the leading cause of blindness on the Internet was due to fluorescent-coloured text. Please use the default colour or at the very least, one that is legible. Thanks.
I generally don't read a post written in those blinding colors as it really does make the eyes a bit sore.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I managed to read it.............but then.............

squints.jpg

Toska

Nov 16, 2013
Ok, I'm confused. Didn't you say one of the reasons you wanted to delete your account is that all people discussed here was about Western Countries and such? So you post a review of the US in 1900?

???

edited to ask: Why?
I think this was written before the post about wanting to delete his account and may be one of the reasons he felt he was being ignored since nobody responded to it for a few hours? I would have to check the times to be sure.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I think this was written before the post about wanting to delete his account and may be one of the reasons he felt he was being ignored since nobody responded to it for a few hours? I would have to check the times to be sure.
ahhhh, ok, well, that would make sense........thanks for the info.........hope he is ok today.....better frame of mind.

T

Tintin

Good grief. My introductory post and others were ignored for a few days before people replied to them. I'm still here. That's no reason to quit CC.

Toska

Nov 16, 2013
ahhhh, ok, well, that would make sense........thanks for the info.........hope he is ok today.....better frame of mind.
I am with you, I hope today is a better for him