Infatuation vs Love

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jullianna

in·fat·u·a·tion (
-f
ch
-
sh
n)

n. 1. A foolish, unreasoning, or extravagant passion or attraction.
2. An object of extravagant, short-lived passion.

Do you know the difference between infatuation and love? Take time to learn. It's important.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94lEo0ilJgs[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 2, 2009
To me, infatuation is when you fall head over heels with someone who seems to have materialized right out of your dreams. Of course it only lasts as long as it takes to realize that they aren't everything you imagined.

Last edited:
A

arwen83

I think that infatuation can happen easier online, seeing all the best parts and idealizing the person before taking the steps to seriously get to know them

Aug 15, 2009
I think that infatuation can happen easier online, seeing all the best parts and idealizing the person before taking the steps to seriously get to know them
I agree. Sometimes we can view another Christian in an extravagant way and see them on a much higher plane than they really are. All it takes is one tiny view of the real person and immediately the infatuation is over. That's definite proof it's not love, God's or man's. Whether it's physical, or spiritual, or even both, infatuations work the same way.

J

Jullianna

I agree, arwen. We reeeeeally need to take our time getting to know a person we meet online. It's difficult enough in person, isn't it? :)

Liamson

Feb 3, 2010
This thread reminds me of a Rod Stewart song...

anyways, I know what its like to no longer see someone as human but rather as an object which possesses only the noblest of traits.

"Cause she's SO HIGHHHHHHHHHHH! high above me, she's so lovely"

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
I could be wrong (unless they both sang the song), but I remember a singer named Tal Bachman who sang those lyrics... :)

Although I don't think anything is foolproof, I personally believe that time is the ultimate tool of discernment because all I know are long-term relationships. I've also read that the "honeymoon (euphoric) phase" ends after about 2-5 years.

You're madly in love with this person and it's been... 3 weeks? 6 months? A year?

That's great!! Now come back and tell me how it's going after 5 years... 10... or more?

If it's survived that long, I think you truly have something. At that point, you're definitely not just running on attention or hormones anymore--you're staying together due to attraction, choice, and commitment.

Last edited:
J

Jullianna

I like Rod Stewart's song too :) I had 2-3 of the same title to choose from.

J

Jullianna

LOL Pastor Steve :)

Aug 15, 2009
Anyone who likes Rod Stewart needs to have their ears checked....... just sayin' :rolleyes:

Liamson

Feb 3, 2010
For the Record: I never said I liked Rod Stewart. ;)

My learning style is auditory so when I hear something I remember it. <Also makes me popular with the opposite sex.

Unfortunately it also means that I know a lot of music WORD FOR WORD that I would rather not. "Puh puh puh PoKER face, puh puh Poker face."