Insecurity

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jordache

Over the past few weeks I've been realizing its how insecure I am and how it's affecting my relationships. Growing up beauty (subsequently, worth) was define by my dads perversion and my mom's insecurity. My dad had a fetish. The reason I call it a fetish is because it went well beyond a normal mans attraction to breasts. To him there need not be a person attached. My mom, on the other hand, would tell me all the time, "you're dad didn't love me because he said I was too fat, but I was never any bigger than you." I grew up knowing my body was never the shape that I had learned was beautiful. Compound that with the fact that my father never once told me I was beautiful, even on my wedding day, and you get me. With my mother I knew that I was just like her and since she knew she wasn't worth anything then I must also not be worth anything. She did compliment me but it was too easy to disregard saying she was obligated as my mother to be nice.
Then there was my family on my moms side. Everything was compared. We were all close. When we got together the first thing anyone would talk about is who's butt or boobs it bigger or smaller. I have about 10 female cousins and we all hit puberty in about the same 2 yrs. so just imagine the comments that were made. "I wish I had that rack when I was 12." "Dang, she could be a swimsuit model?"-at 11. Etc..
Furthermore my first boyfriend didn't really help much. He was very physically focused. He was downright paranoid about me being anything less than what he considered perfect. I remember once asking if he minded if I didn't wear makeup and his response was "well, I know you'll be hot again." He was always ogling girls when I was in his passenger seat. He passively tried to get me to lose weight by humiliating me. We broke up, thank God.
My next boyfriend, my ex-husband was the polar opposite. He didn't care about my physically body almost at all. And I knew he would never cheat on me. If course I realized later that he wouldn't cheat because his own insecurities prevented him from ever stepping out.
So here I am now... A really great comparer. An even better self-degrader. And it's ruining my life and my relationships.

S

scottish

After reading your post Jordache, my first response was to say how sad I was in the way you have grown up in a world of negative insecurity and mental control, then I realized that the greatest thing I found after reading was that you are a remarkable woman who after all that adversity understands what has happened to you and that none of it was your fault. By being able to understand the failings of others you must not let the negativity of it all impeach in your life now. You are an intelligent woman who must stop battling with the past and stop degrading yourself as you have said.
By understanding the past, you have the power to make sure you never do as they did to you and that you are a better person. Dont let them ruin your life from now on.... in the photo you have a wonderful child, so you go forward Jordache with the strength and wisdom that God has given you. Smile each day at your child and think about how great things are going to be for you all from now on.

God Bless

M

Mooky

Dear Jordache,
I will pray that you grow in your understanding of your immense worth because of what Christ did for you and that you will take these insecurirs to the cross where you will find healing and comfort.
I will also be praying that you overcome the lies you have believed as you grow in your identity in Christ.....justified, forgiven,sanctified, adopted,made a living stone and a royal priesthood,, co-heir,precious,holy,beloved.....glorified.
May your walk with the King deepen as you take these inward trials to the throne.

Mooky.

S

SteveM

We are all insecure, men and women. it may be about looks, it may be about money, it may be about faith. We yearn for perfect safety, and its simpy not availble in this fallen world.

I pray that Jordache, and anyone else who feels acutely vulnerable can understand and feel something that the minister at my church preached about. This is something like his words, though not a direct quote:-

"God knows me. He knows that I don't take enough care of myself; he knows that I'm overweight; he knows that I get annoyed or even angry with people; he knows that I don't love people the way someone in my job should. He knows everything about me. He loves me anyway."

We are all short f perfect, especially in our own eyes. In the end, that doesn't matter. What does is that we move on, daily, trying to love others as we loves ourselves - wishing perfection for them, as we wsh it for us. Smile, love, move forward.

G

GreenNnice

The Lord leads, Jordy, you're special to Him and we all are praying for you to see how great He Loves you, what He did for us. He just asks us to have faith in him and follow Him for our lives, to see what is unseen, and, to believe what is not substance seen, but is there, and, being done by Him to move our lives forward in the great way He has individually planned for each one of our lives, God bless you, milady, your prayers are heard by Him. Praying for you, too, you're a sweet, nice girl, don't let anything stop you from knowing this and don't let anyone ever keep you from serving Him in the capacity you KNOW He is leading you to serve. The Lord leads :)

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Huge hugs Jordache, continueing to pray in Jesus's name for you.

God bless
pickles