Inter-Racial Relationships vs Inter-religious relationships? A Biblical View? Anyone?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

Babyshark

Hello Family, me again. I am disturbed. I love my country, and I have a lot to be thankful for in my life, yet, I find myself worried about the way my land is going. In terms of racial classification, I am Coloured (In South Africa, that means a combination of 1 or more races, or in my case, where parents of a mixed-race decent got married and had me) and coloured people are in the "middle" between black and white people, and because of the mixtures of races, most people have great difficulty categorising coloured people, because some are very dark, some are very light, some have straighter hair than others, or lighter eyes etc.

As I'm sure most of you know, South Africa's history is tainted with Racism, intolerance and other historically significant issues that are still divisive and touchy until today. Now, given the nature of my family (We are so mixed and so diverse in race and culture, that's a story all on it's own) as well as my education, and my beliefs as a Christian, I have a very open mind toward race, and race relations, but at the same time I have found myself in situations where I wanted to date outside my race, and it has been an issue, usually from the girl's side. Now in fairness I know some people are still uncomfortable with the unfamiliar, and someone from outside their race will be " unfamiliar" to an extent, I can accept that as long as they are prepared to venture into the unfamiliar and judge once they have seen the content of my character. What i have a problem with is those people who are hard-wired to think that anyone of a different colour ( I say this because it happens across the board, black and white), no matter what racial group or what culture you are from, is inferior to them, and the reason that upsets me is that the vast majority of the people claim to be Christians!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: If that is the case, Where is the acceptance, where is the Love for your neighbour? I don't remember any interpretation of the Bible saying "love your neighbour as you love yourself, unless he is of another race" Does anyone agree, or can anyone give me a Biblical reason about why I am wrong? And please, don't argue culture, because I can understand that in some cases, people fear that culture (by culture, I mean things like family traditions, a family set of morals, a mode of behaviour) may be lost if two people from different cultures marry, but that can be compromised, as most things often are when 2 people are in LOVE.

Now, what I do see as a potential threat is Inter-Religious marriage or dating. For instance, A Christian person dating an Islamic person. I don't see how that can work. I think there will be a problem. As much as people can argue that the fundamentals of most religions are the same, and the codes of morality and all the rest preach basically the same thing, I believe that the religious common ground should be there, so that you are both aware of what moral code you are building your relationship on. Now, in my family, my father is Catholic and my mother, Methodist. Two different denominations within Christianity. As children, my younger brother and I were exposed to both churches, and we al (The whole family)l went to the same church (either Catholic or Methodist) until my brother and I were old enough to choose for ourselves where we want to be, but it is still within the Christian sphere, I think that's okay? does anyone else care to share their views on this?

L

LadySpeedStick

Basically, inter-racial babies are the cutest. So thats God's way of saying He's all for that.

J

Jullianna

I know of no scriptural basis for those of different skin colors not to be together. There are some people who bring up Noah's curse in an attempt to maintain racial superiority, but that won't hold water upon close examination. There are examples of couples of different coloring being together in the scriptures: Moses and his wife; Song of Solomon..

I'm so very white I glow and scare small children at the beach. :D

There ARE, however, plenty of warnings in the scriptures about marrying unbelievers in both the Old and New Testaments.

I have read much of the racial turmoil in your country. It must be so difficult for you. :(

God looks upon the heart of a person, we should as well. It is not the parts of a person we see that defiles them. It is what comes out...

Luke 6:45 -
The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.

Mark 7 - 20 He went on: “What comes out of a person is what defiles them. 21 For it is from within, out of a person’s heart, that evil thoughts come—sexual immorality, theft, murder, 22 adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. 23 All these evils come from inside and defile a person.”

V

violakat

Personally, I think there is nothing wrong with interracial marriages. In fact, I think there is conclusive evidence in the Bible, at least in the OT, where God does not have a problem with it. Ruth was a Moabite who married a Jew. Moses's wife was a Cushite. Rahab was of Jericho and her descendants include King David. Esther married a Persian King.

As for inter-faith marriages, I do not believe God supports it. There are several places in the OT where God specifically states to not marry someone of a different religion: Exodus 34:12-16, Deuteronomy 7:1-4, Ezra 10:2-3. Also, in the NT, one of the most quoted passages to show that we should not marry someone who is not a Christian is: 2 Corinthians 6:14-15

It wasn't so much the race that God had a problem with, when He commanded the Israelites to not marry foreigners, but the possibility that they would worship false gods.

-----
P.S. If your family has lived in the U.S. for at least the last 200 years, chances are you have some different races in your lineage, even if one is dominant.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
I know of no scripture prohibiting, or even discouraging "inter-racial" marriages. The passage that does come to mind however is Galatians 3:28 There is no longer Jew or Gentile, slave or free, male and female. For you are all one in Christ Jesus. The last time I checked every human is part of the same race.....the HUMAN RACE.

Pheonix

Jan 17, 2007
I know of no scripture prohibiting, or even discouraging "inter-racial" marriages. The passage that does come to mind however is Galatians 3:28 There is no longer Jew or Gentile, slave or free, male and female. For you are all one in Christ Jesus. The last time I checked every human is part of the same race.....the HUMAN RACE.
Try explaining that one to a white supremacist. It'd be like bashing your head off a rock wall. I think they are stupid on purpose cause you can't possibly be so stupid by accident.

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
If God did not intend for different ethic groups to be together, He would not have made us all; geneticly compatible

J

jack4022

I think that an inter-racial marriage is much more plausible than an inter-faith marriage because if people hold the same values and beliefs they are more likely to be compatible. Ideals have no racial or ethnic lines, people of all colors, shapes, and sizes hold ideals that are only unique to the individual not the whole race. Inter-faith marriages are more difficult because the two people may hold very different opinions and ideals about things and may argue over their differing opinions. However, I know several inter-faith couples that have learned to navigate these differences. So I guess both are possible it's just that inter-racial is probably easier than inter-faith

V

violakat

Try explaining that one to a white supremacist. It'd be like bashing your head off a rock wall. I think they are stupid on purpose cause you can't possibly be so stupid by accident.
You really want to get them going? Just remind them that chances are, they are not 100% white.

B

Beloved57

Miriam and Aaron where judge by God for speaking against Moses, because he had married an Ethiopian woman (Numbers 12:1-2). Read the rest of Numbers 12, to see how God is no respecter of person (Acts 10:34). But one should always married within the Christian Faith.

U

Ugly

Inter-racial = ok
Interfaith = not ok.
2 cents