Is attending church required of a Christian?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
If there's a divorce involved and there's gossip going on, I definitely would look for another church but I would go to one as that is the time support is most needed.

S

Sanashankar

I believe Believers "ARE" the church.So rather than attending a building with a religious group, I fellowship with believers of like mind. And praying / praising is done in my heart not in front of people.

Mt 6:5 . And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites [are]: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
Mt 6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

L

letti

I always pray alone often times worship also especially since I am alone as a christian in my home.As far as my separation went its off,but since ridiculed I will choose another and I have kept close friends friends from my former church that understand what happened.

john832

May 31, 2013
I believe Believers "ARE" the church.So rather than attending a building with a religious group, I fellowship with believers of like mind. And praying / praising is done in my heart not in front of people.

Mt 6:5 . And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites [are]: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
Mt 6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
The word for church is...

G1577
ἐκκλησία
ekklēsia
ek-klay-see'-ah
From a compound of G1537 and a derivative of G2564; a calling out, that is, (concretely) a popular meeting, especially a religious congregation (Jewish synagogue, or Christian community of members on earth or saints in heaven or both): - assembly, church.

Not a building or an organization, the called out of the Father...

Joh 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Joh 6:65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

Huckleberry

Aug 25, 2013
One thing I am trying to learn is letting things that I hate to hear go,especially if meant out of love.I't was a confronting situation that I was embarrased with and left the church.I was afraid of anybody judging me because I had separated from my marriage and he was mad telling church members of mine bad things about me to get even and make me look stupid since I left him.
If a Pastor is doing his job, he will have preached on gossiping enough that most members will not listen to it. This won't be a popular suggestion here in this forum of mostly, in my opinion, liberal Christians, but I recommend you find, and join, a good old fashioned Independent Baptist Church that uses the KJB, sings the old-fashioned hymns, and has a Pastor that steps on everyone's toes. That's as close to the Church at Philadelphia as you're going to find in this day and age.

B

BeanieD

Letti, if people in the church treated you like that, one would wonder if they really had the heart and mind of Christ. I would pray about it and find another church.

Much love Blessings

Apostol2013

Jan 27, 2013
Remember donot forsake the congregation one question all believers should ask themselves from within what have i done for Christ have i been a faithful witness , have i testified before to his faithfulness to what he has done for me how many have i brought to the fathers will in jesus , have i brought forth good fruits it is good to fellowship but we must witness for jesus judging others to righteousness that isthe true judgement.of christ that they may all be saved.what good is to witness to one another but the lost who thinks of them therefore don't forsake the congregationand be a hesd and not a tail and lead others into Christ as a uniscense for Jesus said those who don't help me gather are agsinst me what good is a shiny Sword if we dont use it or all knowledge and don't help anyone peace of Christ be upon you

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
Oh Letti I am truly sorry to hear that you have had to go through this. There is only one who understand and that is the Lord Jesus. It would be difficult for anyone to go back to the same church, as this is where you are your hubby fellowshipped. Pray and ask the Lord if you should return or if there is somewhere else He would have you attend church.

Acceptance is such a huge thing for all of us, and we so often feel we need to explain ourselves in order to be understood and then accepted. You Letti my friend do not need to explain yourself to anyone, only ever the Lord Jesus, you are already complete and totally accepted by God.
[h=3]Ephesians 1:6-7[/h]Living Bible (TLB)

[SUP]6 [/SUP]Now all praise to God for his wonderful kindness to us and his favor that he has poured out upon us because we belong to his dearly loved Son.
[SUP]7 [/SUP]So overflowing is his kindness toward us that he took away all our sins through the blood of his Son, by whom we are saved;

[h=3]Ephesians 1:6-7[/h]Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

[SUP]6 [/SUP]to the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. [SUP]7 [/SUP]in whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
One thing I am trying to learn is letting things that I hate to hear go,especially if meant out of love.I't was a confronting situation that I was embarrased with and left the church.I was afraid of anybody judging me because I had separated from my marriage and he was mad telling church members of mine bad things about me to get even and make me look stupid since I left him.
Romans 12:2
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

See from God's vantage point, how does Father see it, ask Father who lives in you and you will know truth.

Matthew 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

Father has come to live in you through the Holy Ghost
Ephesians 1:13 in whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Holy Ghost living in us is two gathered and we have fellowship

1 Corinthians 1:9 God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord.
Ephesians 3:9 and to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
Ephesians 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

We have been given Mercy so Mercy we shall give a response in thankfulness to God for Chrsit
Philippians 3:10 that I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
Then all I could wonder is they probably believe him and will judge me as a horrible person.
1 John 3:20 For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.
1 John 3:21 Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.

Romans 2:1 Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.
Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

So what do you seek after worship in flesh gossip of you by others and you become involved in gossip of others too?

Or God's Spirit of God's type of love to lead you, best described in 1 Cor. 13:4-13
Go to Church there if you so desire and believe you are led, and have no concern for what others think, Do you need to justify self? to God or people? God has reconciled you to him, so why not be then reconciled to God. Others plain and simple will just not agree with you and or will. Why do you think there are so many divisions in the body, when there is not to be.
LOVE God's way can no man fathom, and or do. It is only in the Spirit of God is where true fellowship is at. And when born again by God, you are God's and God is yours. Fellowship is constant for God can only be worshipped in Spirit
John 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
Thank you woka I appreciate that,yes everybody wants love and understanding especially when you feel misunderstood.
And God is truly the one that knows and understands, teaching us his Love over worldly love flesh love. A big difference
If you are accepted in the beloved and know this. Is the need for acceptance that you are feeling needed?
Ephesians 1:6 to the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

You are and so is all that believe, not just say they do. God knows and truly that is what counts you knowing God has accepted you.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
Praise God I am happy you were able to work it out.I definitely love my husband but I am hoping he will come back to God and leave his resentments behind.He is living in a way that scares me for him.
Praying for you both, to see truth, and be free in God. As I know he will come to see, and make his decision, to believe or not believe. Going through a rough patch for now.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
Remember donot forsake the congregation one question all believers should ask themselves from within what have i done for Christ have i been a faithful witness , have i testified before to his faithfulness to what he has done for me how many have i brought to the fathers will in jesus , have i brought forth good fruits it is good to fellowship but we must witness for jesus judging others to righteousness that isthe true judgement.of christ that they may all be saved.what good is to witness to one another but the lost who thinks of them therefore don't forsake the congregationand be a hesd and not a tail and lead others into Christ as a uniscense for Jesus said those who don't help me gather are agsinst me what good is a shiny Sword if we dont use it or all knowledge and don't help anyone peace of Christ be upon you
Just as I see it is

when my "I" is out of the way, then God is doing God's work through me freeing the captives unto himself.
For God gets all the credit for anyone turning to God through any other believer. For when we mature we are no more that the branches that bear the fruit. A branch on a tree has to abide in the tree and can never produce fruit, only bear the fruit.
The tree produces the fruit in and through the branch.
We believe we abide in the tree of life, and this tree of life produces the fruit in and through us the branch.

Jun 30, 2011
Is fellowship and praise enough or am I expected to also join a church?
that's for your own conviction - are you getting fed there? are you serving others there? are you in agreement with their mission? are you apart of it and identify with it?

Jun 30, 2011
Is fellowship and praise enough or am I expected to also join a church?
we also live in a culture that is narcissistic and isolated - joining a church and being part of community is a great way to deny self and worldliness