Is Born Again Christian, a religion?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

maesha

Hello there! I'm just wondering what the others think about this. I already know the answer, just curious on what the others think about being a Born Again Christian. And to become clear to others as well, some may not understand yet. God bless everyone! :)

J

jkalyna

In the bible the word religion is used a lot, for instance, pure religion and undifiled is visiting widows, and the fatherless. Sometimes if asked, we refer to our Faith, as what ever denomination of church we go to. It's just a redefining word connected to a Title, but it could be yes and no, because of this, and more emphasis should be placed on our relationship with the Lord, instead of us being in a denominational religion, or title. Really born again, isn't connected with any denominational religious organization, but with Jesus in a relationship. :)

Attachments

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
Lol my family always says to me your a part of that born again religion. Ive told them numerous times there is no born again religion, being born again is a spiritual state. Cant blane them for not getting it when they dont read the bible.

G

GM777

Hi there. It means to be born of the Holy Ghost and baptized with fire. Your entire outlook and worldview changes as you are literally born again into a new person living for Christ, not the world.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Hello there! I'm just wondering what the others think about this. I already know the answer, just curious on what the others think about being a Born Again Christian. And to become clear to others as well, some may not understand yet. God bless everyone! :)
Wish you had shared with us what your thoughts are...........boy, that always helps..........anyway, my thoughts are that being "born again" and being a Christian/follower-disciple of Christ have very little to do with "religion."

Christianity is a "FAITH."

T

Tintin

Christianity is Christ-centered religion and a Christ-centered relationship. Christianity is faith in action.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
re·li·gion

noun \ri-ˈli-jən\ : the belief in a god or in a group of gods
: an organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods
: an interest, a belief, or an activity that is very important to a person or group

Full Definition of RELIGION

a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion>
b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance

: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices

archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness

: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith
re·li·gion·less adjective

Why I hold Christianity apart from "religion" is due to the connotative. To me, religion is a worldly/physical institutional/act of worshiping whatever. I know what James said of "religion,"

James 1:26)
If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.
27 .) Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

........and when I read his words, then compare them to the definition of "religion," they aren't all that similar in my opinion. I simply hold that "religion" is a worldly/earthly practice of rituals designed to worship whatever god it is the person is worshiping. Christianity is a "faith." Hebrews 11:1) Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

For me, faith is a spiritual state of worship, and as God is a Spirit, we must worship Him in spirit and in truth. According to Scripture. Ritualistic worship - "religion" is not really a part of the Christian Faith in my opinion. I understand the denotative meaning of "religion" can be applied to the Christian Faith, but I believe it is really a mistake to do so. But, now, that may just be me.......so........ :)

May 3, 2013
@ Jakalyna

I liked that you said: "... Really born again, isn't connected with any denominational religious organization, but with Jesus in a relationship..."

And also I would have said: " and more emphasis could be placed in our relationship with the Lord, by being more related to people in need." (James 1:27 )

But James 3:3 is acknowledged.