Is Christianity's Move Away from the Early Assemblies a Cult

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
This question is strictly to level the field on questions of varied religions being cults or not. Some insist the labels within Christianity are strictly denominations, however when push comes to shove the very reason for each label, that is the distinction in each's manner of belief, renders all of these labels as opposed to each other, ergo religions.

My personal belief is anyone who knows Yeshua, by this name or any other, and loves Him and honors Him as God, is family in the Holy Spirit. Why so many labels? The people within them may know, but it is a mystery for me.

So, has Christianity wandered from the faith of Abraham, or has it improved the manner of worship with its varied denominated religious practices?

Is the apsotasy foretold by our Lord here, or will it appear in an instant?

Photoss

Sep 15, 2012
There were many 'belief diversions' (similar to denominations) in the church during the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd centuries, and afterward. Once proto-orthodoxy (later Catholicism) prevailed, some of these either dissolved completely or went underground and emerged a few centuries later. There may be countless denominations today, but the variety of Christian theologies is nothing new.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
The point and intention of this post is to stimulate others to think in terms of the Word, the Gospel, exclusively in the approach to discussing in the Bible in fellowship,
steering away from finding fault with varied denominations, since the fact they do differ in teaching separates each from the Word itself in favor of structured theological and worship patterns.

It seem there is more discussion of individual denominations and how wrong they are than understanding this very basic reality. The Word is true though every denomination be false.

Even the denomination I was born into, my parents', has fallen by the wayside in favor of so many other denominations, that being the First Church of Jesus Christ whose three basic rules are, believe Jesus Christ, spread His Word, and do good to others. You do not get much more basic than this, yet, it also differs from the Word just enough not to actually be the Word.

Unless we discect all denominations in favor of the Word, we simply are demonstrating an agenda. Is this one, a cult, that one is too spiritual, the other does not believe the power of Yahweh ad nauseum.

I do believe apostasy was already quite prevalent in the time immediately following the ascension of our Savior to the Right Hand of Power, partly because He did say apostasy would abound before He returns, and I do not for a moment blieve apostasy is going to be instantaneous. No, it has been ongoing since our Lord went away.

At the same time, I know there are faithful believers in every walk for many reasons. I do not, will not, and cannot effectively judge any other, but I do judge for myself what is right, what is good and true, and we each are given this by the Holy Spirit, so please, exercise this gift daily.

Blessed be all who truly believe and worship Yeshua, amen,

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
i believe we should serve GOD as a way of life.

With the guidance of the Holy Spirit learning what is and what is not pleasing to Him.

If we Keep the Great Commandment and Love our GOD then Goodness abounds.

i believe much is done in ignorance of the Truth given in the Bible by people who have come to accept tradition of men of the New Testament.

It is not to judge, but to inform yet most times one will be deemed hateful for their witness.

There was a time in my life when i found myself doing the cross over my chest... having seen many do this i believed it must be what we should do.

i once even kissed the floor by way of kiss hand ground after arriving safely on my first big flight.... i had seen the pope do this.

I know now these little rituals were not able to forgive and cleanse me though at that time i neither did know i needed forgiving....

We must never lose sight that we were once lost and blind and only by the Grace of GOD can we even witness by the Light of the World.

We are children of GOD that share Peace and Good tidings, and must not set out to enforce only inform.

man will not make me choose a set of beliefs and theology.. for we must be cleaned (our own inner cup) and form a personal relationship with Heavenly Father through Faith in His Son Yahshua.

Seek GOD and be set free.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Yawn...whatever beliefs an individual or group holds besides it's capability of being slapped with a label it will in part or in whole be disagreed with by other individuals or groups.
Even your personal beliefs are subject to being labeled e.g. 'Jaumeism' or 'Jesus Reductionism'. Labels are just shorthand for a set of beliefs, sometimes set by the holder of those beliefs but usually by the opponents

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
You really would benefit by actually reading what is posted, and paying attention to what has been posted to you before..
If jaumeism is to worship God, to read His Word and Believe His Word, then perhaps it is a viable denomination, however I have never asked anyone to do this in my name. Reread my post. It is good to come to the Son of God and be designated as one to be sprinkled by His saving Blood, amen.

Yawn...whatever beliefs an individual or group holds besides it's capability of being slapped with a label it will in part or in whole be disagreed with by other individuals or groups.
Even your personal beliefs are subject to being labeled e.g. 'Jaumeism' or 'Jesus Reductionism'. Labels are just shorthand for a set of beliefs, sometimes set by the holder of those beliefs but usually by the opponents

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
You really would benefit by actually reading what is posted, and paying attention to what has been posted to you before..
If jaumeism is to worship God, to read His Word and Believe His Word, then perhaps it is a viable denomination, however I have never asked anyone to do this in my name. Reread my post. It is good to come to the Son of God and be designated as one to be sprinkled by His saving Blood, amen.
I read it, it was a non question so I went to the root of the problem.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I am afraid you did not. It is a post with an intention, the intention is to stimulate a brotherly exchange in fellowship about the direction of the members of the Body of Yeshua since our Master ascended to the Right Hand of Power. There is no problem except perhaps in your own perception. Now, if you would like to address the OP, that would be fine, but creating problems is not the intention of the OP.

I read it, it was a non question so I went to the root of the problem.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I am afraid you did not. It is a post with an intention, the intention is to stimulate a brotherly exchange in fellowship about the direction of the members of the Body of Yeshua since our Master ascended to the Right Hand of Power. There is no problem except perhaps in your own perception. Now, if you would like to address the OP, that would be fine, but creating problems is not the intention of the OP.
You mentioned labels in the OP so I responded, apparently you did not approve. Fine, it matters me little.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
If you are here to "fight" with me, I am afraid this time you are out of touch. Labels is the word I employ as synonomous with the varied names of denominations (religions) within the evolved faith of Abraham. Nothing here is in code. I selected the word "label" to make the actual question in the post more cohesive to the introduction, a very useful and common tool in conveying any ideas or thought process. In this instance relating to the question of the OP. There are actually two, but they are so much integral with each other, they are together in one post.

So, has Christianity wandered from the faith of Abraham, or has it improved the manner of worship with its varied denominated religious practices?

If it is difficult for you to remain on theme, I am not opposed to your wandering off to some other theme, or whatever it is you are bringing into the OP. You may even highjack it if you wish, but please do not try to change the OP questions. Go ahead, if this gives you gratification.

You mentioned labels in the OP so I responded, apparently you did not approve. Fine, it matters me little.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Coming out of Egypt was a poor start for the children of Abraham as only two made it into the promised land BY FAITH.
Apostasy plagued Israel thru the period of Judges and after Solomon. The Church? Little difference. I believe we are slowly building to a final apostasy today but I pray for revival and/or reformation.

Mar 4, 2013
This question is strictly to level the field on questions of varied religions being cults or not. Some insist the labels within Christianity are strictly denominations, however when push comes to shove the very reason for each label, that is the distinction in each's manner of belief, renders all of these labels as opposed to each other, ergo religions.

My personal belief is anyone who knows Yeshua, by this name or any other, and loves Him and honors Him as God, is family in the Holy Spirit. Why so many labels? The people within them may know, but it is a mystery for me.

Hebrews 6:1-8 (KJV)
[SUP]1 [/SUP]Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
[SUP]2 [/SUP]Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.
[SUP]3 [/SUP]And this will we do, if God permit.

Growing in grace and wisdom and faith is something that will happen to us through the Spirit of God. A true Christian does not stalemate such as the misinterpretation of "waiting on the Lord" - sitting around twiddling their thumbs waiting for something profound so that they can react. God created us to move. If we are not maturing and moving forward, there is only one other direction we can go. We stop moving when we die.
[SUP]4 [/SUP]For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
[SUP]5 [/SUP]And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
[SUP]6 [/SUP]If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
[SUP]7 [/SUP]For the earth which drinketh in the rain that cometh oft upon it, and bringeth forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receiveth blessing from God:
[SUP]8 [/SUP]But that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned.

Hebrews 9:27 (KJV)
[SUP]27 [/SUP]And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

C

CoooCaw

There is one Spirit but many administrations.