Is college a good investment?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
So, I want both sides of the coin please....

I am 18 and I never wanted to go to college. In fact I expected life to hand its self over to me... So, I never tried in school. My graduating G.P.A. was a 1.7 which is a D+ average... I never did homework and I mainly came to school high, and slept when I wasn't.

I ended up doing a full semesters worth of Honors Chemistry in 3 weeks... Getting a 96 or 98 on my chemistry final (I forgot the grade just knew it was a high A.) So I know that I am capable of strenuous amounts of work, while doing it correctly...

So that part of me is saying "Go for it". But I am being kicked out of my house in 3 weeks at the latest... I will have to support myself... That means that schooling will also be of my own money too... with rent being around 600 a month around my area and minimum wage is 7.50 an hour.... This means 80 hours or two full weeks a month will be to my rent alone... Not only that but... I have to pay for food, utilities, and gas.... So by my calculations I am already in debt by the time I start..... And if I choose to go to school that mean I will have a part time Job so I will not be able to afford rent alone...

My parents have a very good income... So I do not apply for a govt. grant... My grades made it so all I am eligible for are the lottery scholarships eg. enter your name and win $50...

Has anyone ever done this personally??? I want to decide now... So I don't rack up debt and then Go I should have chosen the other option... No matter what I will be in debt.... 'Murika......

A

AprilAngel

Hello, I know I do not know you but stumbled along your post. I hope you do not mind my reply but just sharing my experience.
I am in the same boat as you actually. I am 21--almost 22. Living with my parents after a failed marriage. Unable to find a job with my GED (I assume that is the reason or because of lack of work history; my ex always supported us) I flunked H.S-obviously, with barely a 1.7 infact I think it may have been less I'm not sure now. I went on to get my GED with help from my then husband. I took the easy way out cause I thought I just wasn't smart enough to get my diploma from remembering back to my drunken high sleepy slack it off-wait-til-tomorrow High School attitude. Anyhow, my family is also quite literally finished with me (though I don't mind that, they were never good to me from the start) but now I am faced with the challenge of finding a job ASAP, homelessness, or JobCorp. I personally am going for the latter. If you know you are college bound, which personally I say you are smart enough for that if you could pass chemistry. Then I say give it all you got!!! I am trying to get the pre training I need which job corp will offer me to give me a head start into college for Psychology--I want to be a youth therapist :) btw I think college gives you like 6 years to make a head start on that Debt. Good luck to you on your journey.

J

Jorina

How about working real hard for 1 year so you wont have depts right away and then after the one year of working you could go to college? 'Cause if you can do it, please do it! :)

K

kenisyes

There are national figures for the US, maintained by the government. I don't know the current ones, but each degree (Asosc., bach., masters), if I recall correctly, is somewhere around $10,000 a year for life for each degree. This is an average, and needs to be adjusted for what you major in, and for chance occurrences, obviously.

With your performance in the chem class, you should really consider that you were probably just too gifted for regular school, which is indoctrination, not education. College is not that way. Mathematics is a notable exception to the average. There is hard data that every math course you pass is good for $1000+ a year for life. The math just trains your brain better. Math has another advantage, you can learn it on your own, and CLEP test out of your first few courses. In many schools, two or three courses at the calculus level buys you an almost free ticket with employment offered by the math department that is fit into your schedule, and then an accelerated program, which is easy to set up in math. You can do this in your spare time for maybe $200 investment total for the tests. Then you can double major, math plus whatever you like. Math bought me a life of ministry, with full time teaching work keeping me busy for all of 20 hours a week average, and still giving me a full time paycheck.

T_Laurich

Mar 24, 2013
The reason why I ask this is because a Christian college contacted me through e-mail around Wednesday... To be honest I have shrugged off many schools that have offered... I tell everyone I am going to college just so I don't have to put up with the "Tony, I know you can do it" speech.

But reading this one personal e-mail from a counselor gave me hope... I don't even know why I looked at it since all my e-mail is, is just junk mail.... But it caught my eye, and now I can't stop thinking about it... I would love to do something else besides manual labor... I have done manual labor for the past 2 months on and off... And it has been getting to me...

K

kenisyes

I'm a college professor. If you need someone to bounce this off of in more detail, I am willing.

Jul 4, 2011
My two pennies: It sounds like you have the drive and realize that without some sort of skill set, you may end up working for minimum wage or have difficulty finding a job. I personally don't feel every one should go to college, rather, they should find what kind of employment they want to pursue and obtain the training for that. For example, I know many people who are skilled workers as electricians, plumbers, etc. They do very well as far as money goes and they did not go to college.
Some people go to technical schools, or obtain 2 year degrees for what they want to do. This is what I did: I looked thru the occupational outlook forecast when I was in high school and picked a career that I thought would be in demand lol. So, I looked at in state schools that had the program and judged the cost of college vs. my degree. I think private schools are great HOWEVER, I don't think it's wise if someone ends up over $100,000 in debt for a psychology degree or to be a high school teacher. I obtained a few small scholarships through application into programs thru my counselor, worked part time, lived on campus and obtained student loans. Other than the $500 scholarship here and there, I paid for my entire college education. There are many programs out there you may not be aware of that may help you pay for your books, etc. And living in a dorm may help you as well.
I think you should pursue it :).

Jul 25, 2005
The question is what do you think you are meant to do with your life.

The level and nature of education then follows.

W

Water1944

Hi T, first I would pray about it. Then I would talk to Kenisyes, what a blessing and wonderful resource he will be for you. This is what I have found, with a 21 yr old senior in college and a 17 yr old freshman to be in a month. College is such a different world than high school. Many college kids have no idea what they want to do, only what they don't want. At the very least, go check out the school you heard from, and see what choices you have. Talk to a sch. rep, walk around the campus, see if you can sit in on a class. For one thing, you should get some grants, free money you won't have to pay back, along with a school loan. Since you are on your own, you will get more help with grants, then if you lived at home. You may not have to work at all, but you can ask for the work program with your loan, which increases the money you get. Low interest on your school loan and you don't start to pay it back until 6 mts after you graduate. You can apply online for a loan and find out at least some grants they will give you in about 5 min. Choices are a beautiful thing!

J

Jullianna

If your interest is in math/science, recent studies have revealed that those who take the STEM route average more than $20,000 per year over liberal arts grads.

I would encourage you to pursue your education, even if it means working a couple of years first and/or doing it a little at a time. I wasn't able to finish graduate school until my mid 30s, but it was worth the struggle to work full time and attend classes. You can do it. :)

Cee

May 14, 2010
I'm an entrepreneur so I prefer the business path, but I agree with what someone said, what do YOU feel led to do? Too many people go to college and do nothing with their degrees. If you will do something with yours, then I'm all for it, if you think it will get you into more jobs, I agree, but I think this is a short-sighted approach. The capital and time investment is quite significant if it's not part of your overall strategy.

D

danschance

So, I want both sides of the coin please....

I am 18 and I never wanted to go to college. In fact I expected life to hand its self over to me... So, I never tried in school. My graduating G.P.A. was a 1.7 which is a D+ average... I never did homework and I mainly came to school high, and slept when I wasn't.

I ended up doing a full semesters worth of Honors Chemistry in 3 weeks... Getting a 96 or 98 on my chemistry final (I forgot the grade just knew it was a high A.) So I know that I am capable of strenuous amounts of work, while doing it correctly...

So that part of me is saying "Go for it". But I am being kicked out of my house in 3 weeks at the latest... I will have to support myself... That means that schooling will also be of my own money too... with rent being around 600 a month around my area and minimum wage is 7.50 an hour.... This means 80 hours or two full weeks a month will be to my rent alone... Not only that but... I have to pay for food, utilities, and gas.... So by my calculations I am already in debt by the time I start..... And if I choose to go to school that mean I will have a part time Job so I will not be able to afford rent alone...

My parents have a very good income... So I do not apply for a govt. grant... My grades made it so all I am eligible for are the lottery scholarships eg. enter your name and win $50...

Has anyone ever done this personally??? I want to decide now... So I don't rack up debt and then Go I should have chosen the other option... No matter what I will be in debt.... 'Murika......
You and I are very similar. You can sign up with a community college and see how it goes. You can still be successful in college but you may need to take some remedial classes first. I started out at a community college and it is a low cost way to start your education.

You might hate the idea of signing up with the military but for some it is a good option. Considering your lack of support at home, this might be a good option for you. It is a guaranteed pay check plus three hot meals and a place to sleep. It can't hurt to talk to a recruiter. They will even train you for free. Construction is a good choice if that interests you. There are many things to chose from. Just make sure you get what you want in the contract before you sign it.

I wish you the best brother. I wish you had better circumstances at home. When times get tuff it is easy to assume God has turned His back on you, but the truth is he is watching everything you do, think, feel or say. I will keep you in my prayers.

J

Joe8264

There is no question that a college education is a good investment. I recommend that you consider a career that is projected to be employable. You should talk to your college advisor or high school counselor for help.