is football a religion?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

jerusalem

many people claim that it is. does it meet the criteria or not? what do you think?

Oct 6, 2012
No, but for some it is idolatry which is just as bad.

S

Siberian_Khatru

I've never heard of a sport being referred to seriously as a religion... I suppose anything can be turned into one, though, albeit a transcendent deity to worship. In which case, it's idolatry as PilgrimUK said.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
I don't think football is a religion...

but I DO think my church should have hotdog vendors.

: )

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
I live in the south of the u.s. down here to many people and some I know personally college football is a religion. they can tell you anything you want to know about their favorite team. they get into fights at games. they spend hours a day reading stuff and chating and arguing about their favorite teams. and they also spend way too much time looking at high school kids they want to go to their collage. I could go on, but trust me it is a religion to some.

Mar 29, 2013
Angthing can be turned into a relgion... i reshearched diffrent religions sometimes they got some wierd ones.. one i remeber was about pot worrshiping pot smokin pot ect..

yac11

Mar 24, 2013
I think it's a religion. Look at the rituals that go along with it....chips with dip, have to have sandwiches...peanuts....and let's not forget the Beer! Whatever

A

adamg

If youre a christian guy you should be playing football period. go to church and then play a game

Oct 31, 2011
I could never understand how people can get that excited about a subject, have it that accepted, when any talk of the God who created them and runs the world is not accepted. And all about kicking a ball!!!!

I'll bet that if someone explained it and how it is thought of to someone who lived 500 years ago they wouldn't believe it could happen. Sounds more like ancient Rome.

G

Graybeard

A few sports are called Football, in some counties football is referred to soccer, some people call rugby football....regardless of the sport some do take it as a religion, a few years ago here in South Africa, there was a court case and a witness that was called to testify refused to use the Bible to take the oath, he used a small soccerball that he placed his right hand on to take the oath as he said that was his religion.

Anyway...the only real mans sport is Rugby:p

Jan 23, 2011
all fandoms have aspects of religion. Whether your obsessing over sports like football, hockey or whatever, or if its a game, tv show, comic etc, they all have things very similar to religion. I noticed it when I used to be part of the Brony fandom. A lot of like, tumblr fandoms even "literally" worship the characters. I know many homestucks call Andrew Hussie, the creator of the comic, god, though mostly as a joke. Same goes for Celestia in the brony fandom. Other fandoms do it too, though its always as a "joke."

I think a lot of people in the modern day use fandoms as a substitute for religion, which...is very interesting to me and a personal research interest. I dont think this inherently means fandoms are bad though; the "religious" aspect of them isn't necessary to liking that given thing or participating in the fandom. its just how some of the more zealous fans tend to act.

J

J-Kay

Where is Tim Tebow when we need him ?
All kidding aside, I think when we get to Heaven we will
not see half dressed cheerleaders, fights among referees
coaches and players.
We will be shouting for the winning team who played for
Jesus. Touchdown ~ Shout unto the Lord with a voice of
Trimuph ~

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
Where is Tim Tebow when we need him ?