Is God really in control

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

Godkares

How do I believe that God has all this in His hands when nothing is going according to His will??? My husband of many years has left me and his children, committing adultery with a woman from our church and has rejected me and any hope of reconciliation. I am so depressed and this curse has caused a poison to run through EVERYTHING to the point I have considered taking my own life. Please pray for me and my children. I do have a relationship with God but at this point I don't even know what to pray for anymore. Free will and Satans deception are very powerful and I am finding it difficult (to say the least) to see God, his love for me and his plan for me and my kids. My husband and I came to know The Lord years ago after he had an affair. We had a god centered marriage for a long time and we always preached that divorce was never an option. Much has happened in the last 5-6 years and it has become apparent to me now that the evil ones attacks got a foothold of my husband and myself. He says that this is the road that God has him on now. Nothing makes sense to me, my God tells me that they are all lies. I must just sit back and let this all happen. Where is God and please pray for this family because I don't even know what to pray for anymore. I have given up hope and finding it hard to believe all His promises lately.

John_agape

Feb 27, 2014
Hi Godkares. Firstly when your husband says, this is the road that God has him on now, he is lying. This is definitely not the road God has for him.

When things go wrong, it is not unusual to wonder, where is God? To be depressed in such a situation that you are in now is normal. Elijah suffered severe depression. Peter was depressed. Jonah was depressed.

God has a plan for each of us and we are answerable to Him in the end, if we followed that plan, or if we deviated and crashed off in a ditch, like your husband seems to have done.

Love cannot exist without free will. It is a central essence of Love. God could make each of us do His will, but then we would be loveless puppets.

It is also normal to feel hurt at being rejected, but in fact you have NOT been rejected. God has been rejected. Going off with another woman in the church is something that I do not see as personal from my perspective.

Your husband lost the plot. You haven't. So dont take it personally. I know it's difficult not to, but try and see it from a spiritual perspective. To know and understand what a marriage is and then go off with another woman in the church shows the problem is within your husband's mind/soul. Not with you.

Your children need you now more than ever. Remember what does it matter if we have the world and lose our soul, and by extension our children's souls. Treasure them. Nurture them. Focus on them. Find your joy in and through them.

There is a future after separation. It hurts, but with time and the Lord's healing you can get over this.

Then there is time. We live in the present, but feel anxiety for the future, a future we cannot predict. You said that he "has rejected me and any hope of reconciliation." If he is spiritually blinded and going around in a lust induced trance, then he might snap out of it and feel like a stupid fool, and then want a reconciliation?

When my wife left me she was absolutely adamant that she wanted nothing to do with me. The the Lord appeared one night to her and she gave her life to Jesus. The next day she wanted to leave her boyfriend and come back to me. I was by then so hurt I wanted nothing to do with her. We did get back together eventually, my wife led me to God and we are still married 25 years later - for life.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
While you may be hurting terribly, and I don't blame you, God is not to blame for this situation. It is the disobedience to God's will and word that has caused the problem.

It sounds like your husband is really an unfaithful man, and nothing you do is going to change him. You can only change yourself, and then only with the help of the Holy Spirit. But God is there, he said he would be a husband to the husbandless. He also never promised us a life free from suffering.

I know I have suffered physically for many years, and God has shown me that he is still in control, no matter how bad I feel. I hope this verse encourages. God is changing you for his glory.

"Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, [SUP]4 [/SUP]and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, [SUP]5 [/SUP]and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us." Romans 5:3-5

Memorize this verse, and I know it will help you through this very hard time.

P

pastac

Just a thought to share God big g is not in control until we give him control! That takes a lot of doing but is possible. Shoot me an in box email I have a testimony to share.

Oct 31, 2011
I like to go to the OT to see how God works in our world, it gives more lives of people as examples. The NT is wonderful to show how Christ made all of what God tells us in the OT better, but the OT tells us the basics that were improved on. It shows us that God really is in control and how God works that control.

It is like a road plan with traffic signals. Your husband was allowed to go through stop signs, etc. if he chose, and you have to be the fall guy for his accident prone way of living. If you read about the Hebrews losing their country and having to live in Babylonia it explains it. The result of the Hebrews ignoring the traffic signals as your husband did, they were exiled. Daniel explains how God wants us to handle it. Daniel accepted the exile without complaint, but he never lost faith in that God desired the best for Him, and that he was to walk in the way of the Lord listening to all the traffic signals, even if it meant he would have to die if he obeyed God's way. Still, he watched and took advantage of every way of using it all for good. By doing that, Daniel got to be next to the Babylonian king in power.

In these last days we are, every one of us, having to face what you are going through. Demons are taking over people, and it is even preached in church that the traffic signals are not to be listened to. Each of us are asked to live in a world more and more given to wicked ways, and each of us are asked to put up with the suffering that is bringing. Look at the locks that you are forced to buy to protect your possessions. Look at the loss of family in our world, even the most devout family is affected by that. We are going to be asked to give up our earthly life because of some of this.

You have it tough. You are being a Daniel faced with the lion's den.

You can have absolute faith in the control of the Lord in our world. God will win over evil. But you have been placed in a lion's den, it is tough. Do like Daniel did, hang tight to the Lord.

shrimp

Aug 28, 2011
While I have not experienced what you are experiencing and I hope I never do, I do know what it's like to feel like God has not got control of the whole thing.
In those times I like to remember Job. The man who, had tried to do everything right and have everything taken from him and his wife tried tempting him and then have people who were supposed to be friends accuse him of some sort of sin. Job did his best to stay true to God (even though he kind of challenged God) and God gave back to Job an abundant life

I am sorry this is happening and has happened to you. I wish I could dive you more. But:

Psalm 37:25I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seedbegging bread.

B

BeanieD

God is in control of everything, but is only in control of our lives and circumstances when we GIVE him control. My last husband said he was christian, but his actions didn't always bear that out. In our struggles and really hard times, that is when we are made stronger when we leave it all in the hands of the one who loves us more than we could ever imagine. The best thing I can say is to pray diligently every day about the circumstances, and ask God to lead you and comfort you. It is hard to give it all to God and not try to take it back into our control, but God is so much bigger than us, our problems and hurts. Don't give up on God, because He REALLY doesn't give up on us, no matter what.

Blessings hon

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
I have nothing else to say except, you should read the Book of Job :)

A

AgeofKnowledge

Literally, omnipotence means that God has unlimited power (omni=all; potent=powerful). According to the standard Hebrew lexicon, the word shadday (shaddai) means "self-sufficient" or "almighty" (Gesenius, HELOT, 994). Others concur (Harris, et al., TWOT, 907).'

The Septuagint (LXX) translated it by the Greek word pantokrator, which means all powerful. The same is true in the New Testament, where pantokratormeans "almighty" or "all-powerful" (see Arndt, GEW, 613).

Theologically, "omnipotent" means that God can do whatever is possible to do. Or, God can do what is not impossible to do. His power is unlimited and uninhibited by anything else.

Negatively, omnipotence does not mean that God can do what is contradictory.

The Scriptures affirm that God cannot contradict His nature (Heb. 6:18; 2 Tim. 2:13; Titus 1:2). He cannot force freedom, for example (Matt. 23:37). He works persuasively, not coercively (see Volume 3, chapter 2).

Further, omnipotence does not mean that God must do all that He can do: It simply means that He has the power to do whatever is possible, even if He chooses not to do some things. God is free not to use His omnipotence whenever He desires; that is, God is free to limit the use of His power, but He is not free to limit the extent of His power. God must know all that He knows, but God does not have to do all He can do.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
God is in control of EVERYTHING! Even the bad stuff.

It undermines the sovereignty of God and it is a form of heresy to say that God is only in control when we give him our will. Our will is already his, no matter how far we wander, he is the one who controls and knows our destiny.

When you believe God is not in control, you are falling into the heresy of the Arminians.

"The Bible teaches that God is sovereign over all things, even the hearts of men. Proverbs 21:1," The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will."
God is sovereign over every aspect of the created universe. Even the king’s heart is under His complete control. Romans 9:18,
Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth."
God softens some hearts and hardens others. His will is accomplished in every creature, whether to save them and show His mercy to them, or to pass over them, and leave them in their sin. He changes the heart of those he will save, and passes over others hardening them in their sin.

Arminianism teaches that God is not sovereign over the entirety of the created order. It teaches that men may frustrate God’s plan, resist the Holy Spirit, and reject God even if God comes to them to change their heart by His grace. Arminianism places the sovereign control of a human being’s life, not in the hands of the Creator, but in the hands of the creature. Man has the final say on whether he will allow God to work in him or not."

Popular Heresies Menu

When you think that God is not in control, you are basically saying that God is not omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient. So you are saying that God is not God!

And if you think God is not God, are you really a Christian, or are you someone who wants the benefits of being a Christian, like going to heaven, but not the obedience necessary to be a Christian and the total trust that God is on his throne and he is in control, no matter what the circumstance.

"But now thus says the Lord,
he who created you, O Jacob,
he who formed you, O Israel:
“Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name, you are mine.
[SUP]2 [/SUP]When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you;
when you walk through fire you shall not be burned,
and the flame shall not consume you.
[SUP]3 [/SUP]For I am the Lord your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior." Isa. 43:1-3

Feb 26, 2014
take the love you had for your husband, and give all that love to God.
if you put your heart in heaven, it wont be destroyed.

Matthew: 6:19-21
19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

[h=3]Luke 10:27[/h]New International Version (NIV)

27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’[a]; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b]

[h=3]Matthew 7:7-8[/h]New International Version (NIV)

[h=3]Ask, Seek, Knock[/h]Matthew 7:7 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.8 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

God Bless you in your time of mourning, keep praying and have the faith.. thanks for sharing with all of us on CC.

P

pastac

I thank all who have responded to this sister in her time of need. Lessons and dissertations on God is not however what she needs at this stage. But reassurance and outpouring of support in her time of need. Well meaning words do little to soothe the hurting heart and sting of sinful actions upon us when we are in a trial or test.
I'll be praying for her and her husband and hope you will as well. But I wont give her a lesson on who God is, omnipotence and all the other well meaning things alluded to.
I will give her unconditional love and offer scripture that will encourage her. Folks she was talking about killing her self so how is a long drawn out dissertation helping her? Just a thought. I'm concerned and reached out to her
I just hope she makes a connection with a mature believer and finds a support system here.She has been decieved she is hurt she is confused and I want to help her as much as I can. This tugs at my heart. Again thank you mature sisters and brothers for most of the responses to her.

Dec 9, 2013
Not that there is much to add to this thread, but I will offer my own heartfelt sympathy toward your situation.

Sometimes life sucks, but most of the time it will get better. In these tough times, it can be better to try to focus on the future instead of dwelling on the past.

As far as God being in control, of course He is in control, otherwise He wouldn't be "God" by definition.
So if God is there, then it was His plan for this to happen to you for whatever reason.
I know thats not reassuring but like i said, sometimes life sucks, it is what it is.

F

fellowsheep

God is in control, but not all that is happening is His will. Take this words:

Matthew 7:21 Not everyone who says to Me, Lord! Lord! shall enter the kingdom of Heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in Heaven.
Matthew 12:50 For whoever shall do the will of My Father in Heaven, the same is My brother and sister and mother.

2Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

A Christian is the one who is free, dont let Satan put you in bondage again,
I will recommend you to listen to this:
Deep Healing
Identifying & overcoming hindrances to Christian growth:
Preach The Word - Deep Healing - Identifying and overcoming hindrances to Christian growth - David Legge

Blessings,