Is God's power in us innately or is it learned?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
H

heavenlyminded

Praise the Lord to all! I have a hypothetical question that I would love the opinions of others. Imagine a newborn raised in a village where no one ever stood up and walked. The entire society was constructed for people who only crawled thus no need to stand. Would that child ever attempt to stand? Thank you and I will appreciate your feedback!

Feb 7, 2015
Not necessarily "learned", but sometimes I believe it has to be both accepted and recognized... then acted upon as though we really do believe it.

damombomb

Feb 27, 2011
I would read acts,or look at Saul how he became Paul, by grace.

D

Donkeyfish07

I would say the potential is innate, but realizing it is more of a matter of obedience

Dec 26, 2014
re the title question: neither.

re the op: it's not really hypothetical. the whole world lies in darkness, as it is written, and most
people never ever walk (in the light), and most people never, ever, see the kingdom of heaven.
in the days of noah -- whoever GOT IN THE ARK before the door shut was saved from the flood. just no one except his family , 8 all together out of the whole population of the whole world, were saved.

today is very similar, according to God's Word.

Praise the Lord to all! I have a hypothetical question that I would love the opinions of others. Imagine a newborn raised in a village where no one ever stood up and walked. The entire society was constructed for people who only crawled thus no need to stand. Would that child ever attempt to stand? Thank you and I will appreciate your feedback!

Dec 9, 2011
You have to first be born of the spirit and then we renew our minds so that we can prove the good and perfect will of GOD.

P

psychomom

1 Cor 1:24
but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.

live in the reality of what you've been given. :)

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
The Holy Spirit, and all the blessings that come with him, is received when we are saved.

It is not innate or learned. We are sealed by the Holy Spirit, and he lives in our hearts, to lead and guide us.

"And it is God who establishes us with you in Christ, and has anointed us, [SUP]22 [/SUP]and who has also put his seal on us and given us his Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee" 2 Cor. 1:21-22

"In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit,
[SUP]14 [/SUP]who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory." Eph. 1:13-14

Apparently, according to these verses, the Holy Spirit is also the guarantee of our inheritance. I just learned something today!

So, on a side note, if the Holy Spirit lives in our hearts, and is the guarantee of our inheritance, how can anyone think we can lose our salvation?

breno785au

Jul 23, 2013
Australia
We most certainly need to renew our minds according to the spirit to know what God has put in us. My natural tells me nothing is going on and I'm powerless, yet my spirit has a different witness.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
Having a child, a grandchild, and having been a child, and around children all of my life, I can say that in my experience this child would attempt to do whatever it could. Children do not fear the unknown.

As well, the question in the Title doesn't really fit the hypothetical given.............but, that's just me.

Dec 26, 2014
So, on a side note, if the Holy Spirit lives in our hearts, and is the guarantee of our inheritance, how can anyone think we can lose our salvation?
there's plenty of warning in scripture, from yahweh, through yahshua, through the apostles taught by yahshua, and through the prophets,

more than enough not to think so much that we even know anything yet, let alone that such a great gift

as salvation should be ignored (the warning about remaining saved; the many warnings in the OT and in the NT
for the people of the book to beware for themselves and for each other; not unduly afraid so to speak,

(or maybe- look up what is written in the word where it says a couple different times "LET US (ekklesia) BE AFRAID...." it is very pertinent.....) (and about losing something important, if not salvation, maybe the chance to be saved).....

so, again, since man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of yahweh, read all of his word, and guard it dearly. stop nit-picking it to get just what you want out of it. far far too much is at stake --- and most of the world's population never even tries to be saved....

H

Hisvessel

I am new on this block and I am impressed with the responses to this question. I agree that we are created hardwired with God's power or we are "God cable ready". We need only reach awareness of this.

H

Hisvessel

Those who believe one can lose their salvation believe that they saved themselves with some assistance from God...our only part is accepting salvation through Christ. I agree, in part, that perhaps fear (being afraid) can be utilized in bringing one to acceptance, but once one accepts Christ 1John 4:18 activates and we are now made perfect by focusing on How much God loves us (to the point of sacrificing His only Son)...not by fear of condemnation which does not exist in the Jesus Christ atmosphere.