Is is okay for Christians to drink alcohol

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

rauleetoe

I have personally never known anything good that resulted from drinking. On the other hand, I do know a lot of negative consequences that resulted from drinking.
and i agre..sadly some just allow themselves the freedom to do all things,.not considering any implications, or consequences from drinkinf, smoking..or whatever else they choose to 'not deny' themselves..

Sep 13, 2012
I have personally never known anything good that resulted from drinking. On the other hand, I do know a lot of negative consequences that resulted from drinking.
I dont drink anymore, but on my dads side at least, there was never an issue with too much, there was nothing wrong with siting down and having the occasional beer, especially if it was something like a family reunion or so, no one got drunk or stupid, or acted crazy, it was a social family thing, some people cant do that, some people can, I think it has to be a personal choice

P

progressivenerdgirl

I have had about a thousand enjoyable nights drinking and talking. You have a very atypical experience pattern.

sanglina

Jul 28, 2012
I have had about a thousand enjoyable nights drinking and talking. You have a very atypical experience pattern.
I don't drink or smoke myself but I have seen enough of people around me who drink and make a mess of their social and spiritual life and also of their health (like liver cirrhosis, etc). I am yet to meet a level headed person in their drinking state. Ofcourse, you might be one of the few odd exceptions that I am yet to meet in person (whose drinking brings positive outcome than negative consequences).

P

progressivenerdgirl

I don't drink or smoke myself but I have seen enough of people around me who drink and make a mess of their social and spiritual life and also of their health (like liver cirrhosis, etc). I am yet to meet a level headed person in their drinking state. Ofcourse, you might be one of the few odd exceptions that I am yet to meet in person (whose drinking brings positive outcome than negative consequences).
Almost everyone I know drinks responsibly, and barring medical conditions responsible drinking is good for you.

People mess up their lives in general, alcohol is rarely the real cause, if anything it's an excuse.

P

Precious_Sunflower

You should visit a typical Spanish family. Half of my family is Spanish(from country Spain, not Latin Hispanic), ever since I grew up it has been very commun for me seeing half of my Spanish side drinking wine to the meal. I never saw any of them becoming drunk nor tispy either, and as I grew up I never thought of alcohol as a bad drink at all.

Though I myself never have enjoyed the alcohol taste, I do not like the alcoholic taste and therefore I see no good reason to drinking it either. Yet I respect those who do drink it for sober enjoyment. I do not respect those who drink till they drop, this is my second experience of how a lot of people are in Norway as well as in The Netherlands, where drinking is more about getting tispy or drunk for many of the people.

O

oOfallen_angelOo

Drunkeness leads to debauchery;

You can totally drink if you enjoy the taste and such, like wine, beer, etc - however, when your intent is to get drunk and lose self - control, is when it becomes an issue because it can lead to sin like lust, violence etc.

I loved getting drunk - it was one of the things I looked forward too after a long week of school :p I gave it up though, and enjoy a beer or two, a little wine here and there just because I fancy the taste.

I treat it like casual drink; getting buzzed isn't getting drunk, so as long as you are still in concious control and thinking clearly, you should be okay.

God knows your intent, so even if you think your being sneaky by having one too many, he knows where your mind truly was; you wanted to get drunk despite the consequences and sin that could result and did it anyway.

Now if you mis - count or end up having a few too many, once it begins to hit you, it's best to take yourself out of that situation to avoid sinning. I know I know, partying and drinking is such a pleasure - but it's a worldy pleasure and a way Satan can use to corrupt someone if given the chance...

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
I like Home Simpsons take on it - "Alcohol - the cause of, and answer to, all of life's problems"

JK!

J

Jenjoy

I will have a drink on occasion. I like beer, not to the point where I am addicted. But once and a while a Blue Moon with an orange slice in it is something I enjoy.

R

rauleetoe

Agreed..maybe some have had nice times drinking..but i personally have never had any really 'nice times' Even the times i thought were fun..well they were not spiritually minded..carnal minded..with those who had no heart or love for God..and i just was in a bad place then..so..why go back there? and revisit that?

T

Tintin

I drink in moderation. I have no desire to have any more. I prefer good food.

Sep 13, 2012
No, it lets spirits come inside of you and bad things tend to happen.
this is why you are not supposed to be a drunkard, I stopped drinking many years ago, but I know plenty of people who can drink a single beer or glass of wine with no issues. Some people can stop at one, some cant, for those that can, enjoy, for those that cant it's probably best to abstain. The main thing I believe you should avoid hard liquor, it's too easy to drink too much or too easy to get drunk and act foolish