Is it necessary??

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

adekruif

Why do some people think it's necessary to use foul language ALL the time? Do they think it's cool, are they trying to fit in, what is it? I work in a trade that is known for its 'roughness', but why does cursing and swearing up one side and down the other HAVE to be part of it?

Sometimes I just want to slap them!!

C

CatWoman

When my dad was alive he would tell me that curse words show a lack of inteligence. He beleived that people who use curse words did not take the time to learn the currect words they should use to express them selfs.

J

Jullianna

It's pretty common in my line of work too. I have to admit that it was one of my toughest battles in early years.

Jul 25, 2012
Why do some people think it's necessary to use foul language ALL the time? Do they think it's cool, are they trying to fit in, what is it? I work in a trade that is known for its 'roughness', but why does cursing and swearing up one side and down the other HAVE to be part of it?

I kinda adopted this type of language growing in my teens. There was a serious lack of "Christian" friends I could hang out with. I started smoking pot, and drinking after a while. Needless to say my language got a little dirty too. I can say for myself, that I wanted to fit in. But now a days, I don't go dropping the F bomb within every single sentence. Only when I'm really angry, or I stub my toe. But even then I try and catch my self.

*smashes pinky toe*

"FAAA-" *cuts self off*

You get the picture.

gideon007

Jun 30, 2012
it is not necessary and should not be allowed to use, may it be in casual conversation or exchanging of messages...

one reason for it because they don't have right education.

kids tend to follow those older people who are used on saying 'foul terms'..., knw the saying, the wrong doing of adults are right on the sight of a kid....

and if kids have it on their system while growing old then it's really hard to train [correct] an old dog...but i believe on the power of change by God

Christians should refrain/stop using them as what the book of Matthew said:

Mat 12:36 I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give an account for every thoughtless word they have uttered

K

kayem77

I seriously don't know why people think they look cool or whatever, but THEY DON'T! I have a niece who uses the F word with pretty much EVERYTHING, it is just ridiculous! It makes me want to slap her too. You're not alone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
i dont know im college educated and occasionally if i cut my hand cooking or drop something on my toe the F-bomb might escape but i dont use it in normal conversation, however i also dont feel guuilty when it slips.

4evrfree

Growing up my siblings and I would NEVER have cursed... There are a few words that now almost slip out when I hurt myself or get frustrated... but in my line of work I have to be veeeery careful what slips out... I get so tired of people throwing the F word around like its an everyday word! Its so undignified in my opinion.

A

adekruif

It's pretty common in my line of work too. I have to admit that it was one of my toughest battles in early years.
Any tips on how to "handle it"?

As far as the rest of it goes, it's just not the f word that gets thrown around. Every colorful combination of every distasteful word imaginable gets thrown around. It really saddens me to see language used. I'll admit i'm no saint when it comes to language, but I don't use foul language on a regular basis. Like others have said i might say something when I stub a toe, smash a finger etc., but not all the time.

Jul 25, 2005
My profession has given me a host of battles I never thought I would have. Among them swearing. After my first campaign away from home, my parents thought I secretly joined the Marines.

Part of it is fitting in with a culture. That and cursing a blue streak has been proven to reduce stress.

Also, swearing helps distort the picture of the world in a vulgar way. If the world is hard to look at, distorting it is an option. Not a morally decent option mind you.

It's still a personal battle of mine. I have come close to posting a zinger on this site on a couple of occasions. Sanctimosity and idiocy bring out the worst in me.

J

Jullianna

Any tips on how to "handle it"?
I'm blessed to be a quiet natured person so it helps me to keep my mouth shut and step away from a situation if I'm upset or angry at someone or about something, and give God some time to "sanctify" what's gonna come outta my mouth, but it doesn't always happen. :)

When I was first struggling with it, I prayed that God would just shut it down and the next time I got upset about a thing and opened my mouth nothing came out...at all. :) I started laughing instead. I think God did too. :)

One thing that helps at work is to set an example and stare oddly at people who are gross offenders. They eventually wise up. :)

I think it helps to monitor what we watch and listen to in this regard. If we watch a lot of tv/movies/videogames or listen to music containing this sort of thing, that's what's gonna come out of our mouths. Scripture says it's what comes OUT of us that defiles us. The mouth has the power of blessing or cursing. Remembering this is powerful.

dliz

Filipino Room/Forum Moderator
Jun 13, 2012
I think one factor is the upbringing of the child.It usually happens when a child is exposed to people/family members who are fond of cussing then expect that child would likely to cuss like a machine gun.They just have a habit of saying it.They also have the impression that it's practically cool or the mentality to appear more mature or sometimes it's peer pressure. And then there are those who dont think cursing is bad at all anymore. They justify that they are just plain words and they don't have any significant meaning at all. It is the sole responsibility of the parents to nurture their kids to discern what is wrong and right. And as Christian,we should set a good example and refrain from uttering foul words because if an unbeliever hears you cuss a lot then there's likely a chance that certain person would refuse to accept Jesus Christ.

G

GreenNnice

God doesn't think it's cool , He doesn't like you taking His name in vain, in any way, shape, or form. Don't twist it !! There are MANY ways to do this, plus, He just flat out, through Jesus speaking on earth ,says in gospels, 'do not swear.'

There is no middle ground, Christbro, aidK :)

T

Tintin

No, it's not necessary but some people just don't value themselves or other people enough to change their behaviours. I think we need to be more honest with ourselves and others. I occasionally use mild language when I'm really upset or have hurt myself but I try avoid doing so. Whenever I hear people disrespecting God's name, non-Christian or otherwise, I cringe and often ask them to be respectful of my beliefs. Most of the time, I find people are willing to stop (or at least not speak such words in my presence).

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Grace52

I've always had a cussing problem....it started when i was about 7 or eight...I said a cuss word in front of a bunch of ladies my mom was having over for a visit, and the shock on those ladies faces kind of stuck in my mind. My poor mom, she tried everything to get me to stop, it wasnt till i gave my life to the Lord that i was able to get a handle on it. I still have occassions where a word will slip out.

The bible tells us that a foul tounge means there is a breach in the spirit. Proverbs....sorry i cant quote the exact scripture

F

flight316

Many people pick up this habit in their youth. Many are from neighborhoods that everybody speaks that way. The behavior tends to carry over into adulthood. Sometimes it is difficult to get rid of. As much as I hate to admit it. I struggle with foul language. I have prayed about it.