Is it really true?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jordache

So, I'm not even planning on dating anytime soon. I've got at least a year to wait before that even enters the picture. But I want to be prepared, so I need to consider many things along the road this next year or so. I was having a conversation with my pastor the other day and he freaked me out just a bit. I am 28 and I really don't know how to date. I never really did. I fell fast and hard into the relationships I was in. He was a little shocked because he assumed that I had dated during highschool. No one even asked me out. I had ugly duckling syndrome, and I carry remnants of it now though not as deeply. I "dated" my frist bf a few months after I started college. We dated a year and a half before I finally realized I was worth more. By dating I mean he brought me flowers on Valentine's Day and shortly after that I was with him every waking moment. We didn't really go on dates. He was living in his car, an ex-addict, a new Christian, working temp jobs to get by, but told me I was beautiful and I fell hard and fast. When I finally broke up with him, he went back to gang-banging and soliciting prostitutes off craigslist.
Then there was my husband. We were very platonic friends for a while. Apparently he had liked me but I was clueless. After ending the first relationship I stayed out of any romantic relationship for months. At the end of that 6 months, I was lonely and spending my first holiday away from home ever... with his family. I put the moves on him and his obliged. The same thing happened. I was over at his house almost everyday. We did everything together. By year four he got kicked out of home and out of desperation was sleeping in my walk-in closet until I got the courage to tell him to stay in his car. We never went out on dates. I didn't get cards or flowers. He wouldn't do anything for me. But mind you, I thought this was normal.
So my pastor was schooling me on the art of dating which scares me to death. I hope I still have it, but I don't want to be proving that I do. I don't want to date 100 guys. I have a friend who I feel would give any guy a chance, and I get on her about it all the time. I have told her time and time again, "You don't date guys who follow you down the street, and you don't date men who don't love Jesus." She doesn't listen. But I can't imagine dating someone I just met. I can't imagine dating someone who doesn't love God with all of their heart. I can't imagine dating someone who isn't in ministry. Through my last relationship I realized one thing I also want. My husband and I struggled a lot before we were married, and it was all up to me to end anything that was going too far. The problem was, I was just as fallible. Thus it didn't always end when it should have. When we finally found freedom, it was me ALWAYS making the choice. It wasn't that he was going to throw himself on me... but if anything was going to end it was my job EVERY time to end it. I realized later that it was incredibly disrespectful and dishonoring to make me the sole enforcer of boundaries that he was supposedly for. So, I realized one of my greatest desires is for a man that will actually make an effort at purity. Am I not valuable enough for it? I think I am. My pastor kind of told me that I wouldl ikely never find a man who would really do that. Is that true? Do I really have to continue to be the sole boundary enforcer in my relationships?

Z

zaoman32

Your pastor is partly right. Unfortunately there is a vast amount of guys that just don't care about how they make their wives or girlfriends feel, and have no interest in taking any kind of leadership position. There is no reason you should have to settle. Given it may take time for a guy to finally realize the type of role he needs to take, and even then it will be a question of whether or not he actually wants to step it up into that roll, and few to nil will ever get it right hundred percent of the time, but that's no reason not to hold out for someone who is willing to take on that roll. God wants the absolute best for all of us, He wants to meet all the desires of our hearts and put us in a place of perfect joy and peace. Settling for someone who does not and will not live up to your expectations is NOT God's best for you or anyone else.

Hopefully that'll be a help

A

agirlandherguitar

Hmmm. Sounds like you've dealt with much too much and you're only 27! I'm sorry to hear about all that happening to you and wish you could have had it easier... but maybe the good stuff is waiting ahead?

I don't think you have NO chance in finding a great guy who will remain "pure" (in any sense of that word, at least concerning you when you are in a relationship that is actually going somewhere). Personally I have met a lot of really nice guys who are virgins and some who are very serious about respecting the women they're with. Of course most of these guys married their girlfriends within six months of knowing them (huh, I wonder why?), but who's complaining? I think six months is way too short. I've had crushes that have lasted longer!

To answer your question: YES YOU ARE WORTH IT. Totally, 100% word it. Kick these little boys the the curb if all they want is some action. I'm 25 and I never date (NEVER) because all the men I seem to meet aren't worth my time (no offense to them... but if you don't love God more than yourself then colour me uninterested). Of course I can't really shed any light on the whole purity thing since I'm a virgin and not dating anyone, so no temptation there haha. I only know what I've read and seen in relationships from friends and family.
Speaking of reading, have you read Lady in Waiting? It's wonderful. WON. DER. FUL. You may find a lot of answers in that book about your concerns. Concerns about purity, about being content in being where you are right now, about being patient etc. Great, great book!

U

Ugly

While Zao is right, to a degree, you may always have some problems with this, but you have to consider something. You're relying on your impressions of 'men' as HS and maybe college age guys. Still young, still immature, still wildly hormonal and at their sexual peek. You're looking back at guys who's brains haven't even finished developing (the average human brain still grows and develops til roughly 21). But you're apply that to grown men 10 years older than what you're thinking about. True, there will be many who still are horn dogs, but there also will be a higher percent who have had a chance to grow and mature.

N

nw2u

I say, just work on you. Make yourself the best you can be. Love yourself. Love God.
You will then have a better chance of finding the man you desire and deserve. When he comes along, you will know it. You will be secure in yourself.

T

tapuout101

I think love is a moment in time. All we need is a hi how are you or a glad to meet you to find true love. We don't need the fantasy in the books or what people say we should do or what is on television. We make those things after the moment. Really no one knows anything about anything there is no book on dating. I seen a lot of dating profiles with a huge checklist of don't wants. I think sometimes our true love is in those checklist.What do I know I'm single :p We really can only Hope.

W

Wilfred

i think your expectation is reasonable, but not in this culture.
i have a friend just a hair older than you and honestly if i knew someone -2/+5 years her that I knew to be a Godly single - she would have his name and number! but the prospective are not very good, at lest in my nor her cultural circles.

for me, i just expect to live my live and wait on God to have her cross my path. no she will not have a perfect past, no she will not be perfect, but her love of God and for the Scriptures will be. then i know i will have found the one to pursue - assuming she has any interest in me.

O

OFM

no not at all a true Godly Christian Man will know limits and bountries for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!............

AAAPlus

Aug 2, 2011
Settling for someone who does not and will not live up to your expectations is NOT God's best for you or anyone else.
This is a really dangerous statement. Most Christian girls have highly unrealisticly expectations that just end up excluding decent Christian men, and they end up settling for a guy who's charming (but like Jord's story, it ends in divorce).

Anyway, not sure why anyone hasn't mentioned this before, but according to the Bible if you go on and marry someone else it makes you an adulterer. Whether you believe that part of the Bible or not, it will exclude you from a lot of men who love Jesus and don't want to compromise their relationship with God.

Anyway, I don't know if anyone can teach you to date. I find it a little odd that your pastor (presumably male?) is meeting with you about that. I'd be curious to know the whole story of that situation. But anyway...yeah. Girls tend to fall for guys fast, you're not weird or anything. Get to know the guy first, and make sure while you're in a relationship (and before) to listen to your friends. They will often (read: always) see things that you don't.

If you are going to go through with this relationship thing anyway, you have to have the mindset that you must make it work. Ideally one should wait a few years before getting divorced, coming back together eventually with a different attitude and seeing if it can work again. But it seems like you're not making that an option, so look towards the future. You can't just go getting divorced five more times. At that point, marriage just becomes the Christian version of dating but with sex. I think that's why God gave us the command to not get divorced, but if we do, to remain single; because if we knew we could just move on to someone else, what's the point in trying to make it work out?

Please forgive me if I'm being offensive; these are just my frustrations as an unmarried dude having no idea what you're going through. I value the Bible a lot and can't understand why Christians openly ignore it. This process, I'm sure, is hard enough for you and I don't mean to make things worse.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
I mean I don't know what your standards for purity before marriage are, but unless they're extreme I dont see why someone couldnt follow them...maybe you just got stuck with a couple of bad apples.